Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Corvette vs. Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Corvette vs. Porsche

I have been talking about this since I was young. I am no longer young. I have a '92 Vette. It has terrific low-end throttle response. The quality is not bad. My 996 GT3 and 997 RS are wonderful, but at the high end of the curve. The quality is great for now. My '02 Carerra has 45k miles, the quality has been horrible. Gee, why can't there be common ground? Put a V8 in the back of a 911? No way.
But, Porsche has been too stingy. Why not provide a big bump in performance on the basic 911 and get it over with. The little incremental steps in this economy mean very little and will not stimulate sales. Also, why not some cool colors from the 70s? It's back to the future, like it or not.

Thoughts?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the 1992 vette LT-1 is actually a great little motor. upgrade to LT-4 spec as well as hot cam and she is a screamer that is bullet proof. Heck, 383 stoke it and watch her go!

that being said, the 92 vette is a little bit of a rattle box.... the 1997 + C5's were better.

996 porsches i find can be good and bad... depends on model and milage.... some find them very harsh riding.

I figured with the signal/viper green and blood orange the 70's were back...... but alas porsche could try the bronze, golds and baige but would be risking lawn anchers at dealership lots methinks...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,345 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
I have been talking about this since I was young. I am no longer young. I have a '92 Vette. It has terrific low-end throttle response. The quality is not bad. My 996 GT3 and 997 RS are wonderful, but at the high end of the curve. The quality is great for now. My '02 Carerra has 45k miles, the quality has been horrible. Gee, why can't there be common ground? Put a V8 in the back of a 911? No way.
But, Porsche has been too stingy. Why not provide a big bump in performance on the basic 911 and get it over with. The little incremental steps in this economy mean very little and will not stimulate sales. Also, why not some cool colors from the 70s? It's back to the future, like it or not.

Thoughts?
Let's cut to the chase and put the GT3RS drivetrain in the Cayman and get it over with.

Your stable seems full of great horses. I'd be greatful for your problems.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

gt3rs DT in a cayman would be something now wouldnt it.....
Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Let's cut to the chase and put the GT3RS drivetrain in the Cayman and get it over with.
i am with you right there. loved my cayman until i blew it up here and there.
need LSD, gearbox and better rear suspension as well.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I am with you vertub. I am tired of this little 30hp bump here and a 25 bump there. Meanwhile peope
at GM are bumping up by a 100 with the Z06 and twice that with the ZR1

BUT WAIT!!!! Next year the GT3 gets DI with a 30 hp bump for whats probably will be a $135K car.
I am done with this ride till I feel I can get some value. After my surgery I will be looking used for my next Porsche. The Value in Porsche is in 996 TT and GT3s. I love Porsche but now how many cars if Porsche is at 450 can we name with more hp?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Wayward
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By way of qualification, I've been driving 911's for nearly 30 years.

IMO dertub, you are most correct, however, it's always been this way. A typical 10% improvement per model changeover. This, at the explicit direction of the corporate decision makers as handed down to the engineers.

We're now seeing (and have been seeing) everybody and their mother take more accurate aim (the aim isn't new, but the accuracy is) at the iconic 911.

Logistically, we all also are aware that 4 liters is, per Porsche (for any engine engineered thusfar) the theoretical limit for the platform.

Are they doing market studies as to the acceptance of a flat 8? Will they continue to make do with the 6 and increase the use of CF, plastic, and other lightweight components in conjunction with PDK to acheive reasonable competetiveness? If history is any indication, the latter will be the case.

It's my view that some sort of time-based, marketing-based softening of the hardcore 911 base will need to be undertaken by Porsche to sway said base into more viable alternatives for the future. It's not going to be easy, and will no doubt inevitably delay and erode acceptability and therefore profits, however there are few choices, and moreover, it's my humble belief that Porsche knows this, as they did during Furhman's reign (think 928) in the late '70s. Pricing will be their best ally, as one of the best strategic moves they've made (thanks to Weideking) entails improved mfg efficiencies coupled with economies of scale now afforded via VW. In other words, competetive products will continue to cost more. At any rate, this is just my .02.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I am with you vertub. I am tired of this little 30hp bump here and a 25 bump there. Meanwhile peope
at GM are bumping up by a 100 with the Z06 and twice that with the ZR1

BUT WAIT!!!! Next year the GT3 gets DI with a 30 hp bump for whats probably will be a $135K car.
I am done with this ride till I feel I can get some value. After my surgery I will be looking used for my next Porsche. The Value in Porsche is in 996 TT and GT3s. I love Porsche but now how many cars if Porsche is at 450 can we name with more hp?
i am afraid that it's going to be more than 135. look at current msrp of 997gt3, most of them are around 120+.... i agree that at 135 or more, i be interested in other marques. i think 997gt3 maybe my last p car until some REALLY exciting comes along...
Old 11-23-2008, 12:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

i think 997gt3 maybe my last p car until some REALLY exciting comes along.
I agree with you. And it needs to be earth moving at least. Everyone else can do something outstanding even HYUNDAI!!! Genisis. Why can Porsche do it?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the big thing should be the new, smaller, lighter Porsche which harks back to the 550 - not a faked-up Boxter with red seats and the RS60 moniker. Maybe Porsche can't sell a Lotus Elise but even Ferrari is pushing the concept with the Mille-Chilli or whatever they are calling it. I harbor this secret hope that Porsche or VW will buy Lotus from Proton and adopt the AAV architecture.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I enjoyed my 997 GT3 ( when it was not in the shop have yet another RMS installed) and am looking forward to the '09 Carrera S that is but weeks away. I am throughly enjoying the Cayman S that is my daily driver. That all said it is my opinion that we are seeing the sunset for the 911 platform (part of the reason I decided to get the 997.2) The addition of LSD and the PDK transmission in the Cayman S is one reason. I have heard rumors that Porsche is exploring a Cayman based race car to take on the Italians in ALMS GT2 as the RSR's are having issues (Yes I know they won the class, but not many races outright)

My guess is that there will be a limited run of a new GT3 based on a tuned version of the new Carrera S DFI engine next year along with the introduction of the sedan. In 2011 or 2012 model year depending on the economy the 911 platform will be honorably retired and a totally new Cayman will emerge with a big jump in performance. Porsche will then be back to three production models The Cayenne (in three versions) the Pamamera (probably two versions) and a Cayman based sports car (whose platform will be the basis for gthe GT race car) Remember the new Carrera 3.8 DFI engine is physically smaller and lighter than the engine it replaces so putting it in a Cayman platform would not be difficult

Lots of "ifs" here I would guess not to far off what Porsche is planning. Ok throw darts when ready
Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What cracks me up is when a guy buys a used 2007 Z06 Vette for around $45k and brings it to the track and destroys $120k GT3's and Turbo's.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
What cracks me up is when a guy buys a used 2007 Z06 Vette for around $45k and brings it to the track and destroys $120k GT3's and Turbo's.
Hhmmmm.... thanks for the props...but...

The Z06 Vette vs. Porsche's GT3 comes down to the driver. The Z06 has more power, the GT3 handles a little better. Both are great track cars.

You do need to address the brake issues with the Vette.

Porsche's 911 TT is now more of a GT, much softer than the GT3, at least stock.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

trumper, yes I needed to mention that the Z06's I am speaking of have adressed the brakes with either Wilwood or Stoptech and are running tires like Hoosiers but then again so are the GT3's. These cars all run in the instructor groups so yeah there are better drivers than others.

There is 1 Z06 that tracks at Sebring with some serious exhaust work, intake and chip, lowered, huge brakes, CCW wheels and Hoosiers, roll bar and race seat that is incredilbly fast and the guy bought the car used and upgraded it and spent around $57k total. HUGE bang for the buck.

I have a Porsche and love it. But I am not a car snob and I do love the Vette's too. I gues most around here would not think this way.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Hhmmmm.... thanks for the props...but...

The Z06 Vette vs. Porsche's GT3 comes down to the driver. The Z06 has more power, the GT3 handles a little better. Both are great track cars.

You do need to address the brake issues with the Vette.

Porsche's 911 TT is now more of a GT, much softer than the GT3, at least stock.
+1. I had (and tracked extensively) an '06 Z06. The only upgrades were Stoptechs, different tires (Hoosiers or Kumhos), and the last year headers and a catback system. I've also got an '07 997 GT3 with no upgrades other than tires and a GMG exhaust. Both cars are great track cars. They work very well, and neither ever had an issue. Given equal drivers, I think the Z is quicker on pretty much any track unless there are no straights whatsoever. That said, even though I loved the Z it's been traded at this point, but I have no plans to get rid of the GT3 (though it's track days are over). I just like the car too much....

Quick Reply: Corvette vs. Porsche