How about for the GT2??
Old 10-18-2008 | 01:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Where's my invite?
Old 10-18-2008 | 06:45 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Thanks for the great news, what about GT3 with PDK?
Old 10-18-2008 | 09:40 AM
WildBill
Racer

Thanks for the info, this sounds very promising!
Old 10-18-2008 | 10:18 AM
sws1
Pro

Originally Posted by CWay27
By the sound of things, Porsche is very convince that they have found the magic recipe for bullet proof engine. That would be great!!

Do you think they would have said otherwise? Do you think they'd actually stand up in front of a room and say, "We expect far fewer RMS leaks. This engine is pretty good."
Old 10-18-2008 | 05:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
So those who declared that they would not buy a next gen GT3 unless it had the old GT1 based motor, hang on to your cars. For the rest of us, the new engines are very cool and the new design allows the motor to be 10 mm lower for improved center of gravity.
Bob - I can imagine that the new motor may sit lower than the old wet sump motor (with oil pan), but why would it sit lower than the GT1 dry sump motors?
Old 10-18-2008 | 09:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thanks Bob for the news!
here are my concerns. As GT3 owners we have all pointed back to and relied upon the racing heritage of the motors in our cars. This new motor may be as elegant as a tiffany sterling teaset but how much racing heritage does it have? Also I didnt hear dry sump nor integrated dry sump, nor did I hear wet sump. Bob is it the same as the 997 carrera motor? The integrated dry sump?
So when does this motor get to the track in someones car besides Mooty? And Bob since we werent there how did you interpret the "smile" and body language as far as the 4.0 RSR motor question.
Did you read that as a "YES How did you know?" smile?

Did I get that the motor is smaller (with the 40% less parts)? that would be cool because the motor would have more HP per less size and the 911 body style would have a extended lifespan.

Here is another concern. I am ready for a bigger increment than these 35 hp bumps. Couldnt Porsche just go ahead and get to the 500hp mark? It seems like Porsche is building in its next 2 iterations of the GT3 with the technology it already has. "we could go to 500 but if we only go to 450 then we can go 485 then 520 without working in the next 2 generations".
For you guys that are more financially endowed than me its not a big deal to jump another $30K-$50K for a new GT3. For me I am going to have make some fiscal magic to afford the next generation GT3
(IF my surgery goes OK and I am physically able to do so). So I dont know if 35 hp is going to be worth me jumping through the hoops I have to go through to afford this car. If they would just go to 500 to be up there with the Z06(and they are already 2 years behind the Z06 in hp) then it might be worth it.
But If I look back on my 996 and 997 GT3 experience I dont know that the 997 was worth 30-50K more than the 996 GT3.
My guestimates are on prices given that Porsche continues to subsidizes the price and doesnt do the dollar price correction.

Just some ramblin thoughts up here in the Sierra mountains watching the corn snow spit on my AMG 3.2 minutes after I washed it.
Old 10-18-2008 | 10:40 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Paul,

I can't say when the new engine will be in the race cars, only that it will be. According to Porsche it is not a variation of the current 997 engine. It is a totally new design with new cases, new heads (DFI) etc.

No idea about the 4.0 Liter version. Ferrari is kicking *** with their 430 in ALMS and it is a 4 liter (road car is a 4.3). BMW now has a 4.0 V8 which will also give Porsche teams fits. I cannot imagine a new design which suffered from the same limitations as the old GT1 design.

As to power bumps you laid out Porsche's habit perfectly. Will they skip a few steps in the face of the ZR1, GT-R etc? I hope so.

Best,
Old 10-18-2008 | 11:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob,

I misstated my question, when I asked is the new motor going to be like the 997 motor, you answered that with your whole post. What I meant to ask was the oil containment i.e. the sump or lack of a sump, going to be treated like the current 997 design or will it be some kind of dry sump?

Not only should they skip a step, you brought up a great point-BMW is racing next year with the M3 with that 4.0l V-8, Porsche HAS to do something or not only will Ferrari kicking their butt but, so will the others. Porsche seems to be doing JUST enough to be competitive instead of doing that one kickass step to put them above the level of JUST being competitive. Jeremy Clarksen called Porsche the laziest car maker in the world when the released the Cayman "all they did was put a hard top on the Boxster!"
Of course I dont agree but I do think of this statement when stuff like this happens

There is no replacement for displacement!!
Old 10-19-2008 | 03:13 AM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldGuy
But If I look back on my 996 and 997 GT3 experience I dont know that the 997 was worth 30-50K more than the 996 GT3.
It definately is not. Imagine if BMW did that with the E92 M3 which only increased a mere 10k or so in cost over the E46, not to mention is was a complete redesign including engine. I really don't know how Porsche gets away with it.
Old 10-19-2008 | 12:58 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CalgaryGT3
I really don't know how Porsche gets away with it.
Because they CAN.... we keep buying them!
Old 12-25-2008 | 11:40 AM
blakt out
Instructor

Porsches are like computers. You know that something better's going to come out and be way better than yours, or at least be marketed that away, very soon. But sometime, you just have to jump in. Maybe this is why the modification scene is so huge in Porsches. People jump in, then mod to stay on the wave.
Old 12-25-2008 | 01:18 PM
Verde
Advanced

Ahh, the evolution versus revolution conundrum. I may sound like a beating drum, but it surely seems that Porsche is feeling the pressure to bring an end to the 911 evolutionary lifestyle.
Tapped out on the rear-engine design (I raved yesterday about the R8 so I'll say no more), displacement limited via the 6 cylinder design and constrained engine room size. All seemingly hitting them while their margins are squeezed to do new/big R&D.
This new engine you're describing sounds just amazing - lighter, smaller, efficient, stronger. But all defined in the context of P-car evolution.
Wrenching on my 997S last night (just wheel spacers, my willingness to put a wrench on my car is inversely proportional to its price), I was still admiring every detail, component, design language that's present on the car. And I would still someday consider buying a next-gen GT3 because they, like all 911's most accurately fulfill the definition of the 'supercar you can drive everyday'.
But it'll be less likely than ever.
If Porsche management is listening, I'll repeat my request. A 'Peoples' Carrera GT. Um, please...

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Bob,

I misstated my question, when I asked is the new motor going to be like the 997 motor, you answered that with your whole post. What I meant to ask was the oil containment i.e. the sump or lack of a sump, going to be treated like the current 997 design or will it be some kind of dry sump?

Not only should they skip a step, you brought up a great point-BMW is racing next year with the M3 with that 4.0l V-8, Porsche HAS to do something or not only will Ferrari kicking their butt but, so will the others. Porsche seems to be doing JUST enough to be competitive instead of doing that one kickass step to put them above the level of JUST being competitive. Jeremy Clarksen called Porsche the laziest car maker in the world when the released the Cayman "all they did was put a hard top on the Boxster!"
Of course I dont agree but I do think of this statement when stuff like this happens

There is no replacement for displacement!!
Old 12-25-2008 | 01:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Verde
... I'll repeat my request. A 'Peoples' Carrera GT. Um, please...
we are on the same boat.
i'll pony up 200k for one. i would have bought a CGT if my lottery tix worked; but so far no go. however, at 200k or less, i am a willing buyer.
Old 12-25-2008 | 03:25 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Mooty,

I noticed the change in your avatar. Is that he new ride?

Quick Reply: 997 Mk II Race car engines