Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Uh-Oh: PDK is Growing on Me, and I am a Manual Die-Hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of you guys who have driven a PDK actually left foot braked it while applying the throttle? The damned e-gas takes away the throttle in the current GT3 (and 996tt) when you left foot brake. I'm curious if porsche has kept this programming in the PDK cars. I'm used left foot braking the formula car and I'd really like a street sports car I could drive in the same fashion. In order to go to throttle with the brake still applied (with the current programming), you must have fully lifted off the gas during the braking. This eliminates the ability to use the left foot to tuck the nose in without a complete lift. I find this annoying.

I know the Stradale allowed me to use the brake and throttle simultaneously however I saw fit. I'm concerned that Porsches computer will "know better" and not extend me the same courtesy in a two pedal car.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i pefer fixed position, pull toward wheel to shift. one side up one side down shift.
you shouldn't be shifting while turning anyways, certainly not at big steering inputs. so there should never be confusion as to where the upshift paddle is. i rarely turn wheel more than 45 deg. except in hairpins.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:01 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prg, I tried LFB on the new PDK 997 around the autocross course and it allows it. Even in my 997 GT3, the car allows LFB to be used for what seems like 1 sec before it cuts the engine power. On the track, I've been able to LFB without it cutting out, but I don't hold the brake and throttle together for more than a split second.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
i pefer fixed position, pull toward wheel to shift. one side up one side down shift.
you shouldn't be shifting while turning anyways, certainly not at big steering inputs. so there should never be confusion as to where the upshift paddle is. i rarely turn wheel more than 45 deg. except in hairpins.
One of the big perq's of a quick shifting smg (or dog box) is the ability to shift in a corner without upsetting the car much. Those of us who don't subscribe to the commandment of "though shalt not shuffle steer" would like fixed paddles ala ferrari.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
Still, I prefer to keep a good grip and on the wheel that allows shifting without letting go. To each their own. We both know we could do either if necessary, small point.

One of the really great things about the Cup is that the very smooth upshifts allow some pretty fast shifts mid-turn with a smooooth that doesn't even make it twitch. Uncanny really! But I assume that's only because I'm not going fast enough...

PRG; Cup seq also allows some pretty good left-foot braking because you're not wondering whether you'll go clutch or brake first. By the time you're there, you're already in the lowest gear you should need. Left foot free
Old 10-19-2008, 11:07 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

Default Is Flexibility the Answer?

I have have driven a new 997S with PDK and like many others, I think it's outstanding. As to the steering wheel buttons and the way they operate, you'd think there would be one basic solution to the different views that drivers have on how these should work - make them programable. I would think this would be easy through the OBC. I assume the buttons merely send signals to the transmission to do its thing. If you want to push to downshift, as I started doing, why couldn't you program that? Or if you want left to upshift, right to downshift, why not that? Personally I like each button to be multifuncitonal because it doesn't matter where you're hands are on the wheel, but to each his own.

Quick Reply: Uh-Oh: PDK is Growing on Me, and I am a Manual Die-Hard