Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT 2 tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT 2 tire issue

Does anyone know what 'normal' tires I can fit to my car other than the stock MPSC's?
I'd like to drive the car in all seasons(not snow) and it seems that Michelin does not offer the PS2 in the appropriate sizes for this car? Any suggestions?
I think its silly that Porsche sells a street car with MPSC's on it. Maybe as an optiion, but these tires do not work as all-around tires....
Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lone wolf
Does anyone know what 'normal' tires I can fit to my car other than the stock MPSC's?
I'd like to drive the car in all seasons(not snow) and it seems that Michelin does not offer the PS2 in the appropriate sizes for this car? Any suggestions?
I think its silly that Porsche sells a street car with MPSC's on it. Maybe as an optiion, but these tires do not work as all-around tires....
You can use the same tire sizes in PS@ as the GT3RS or the Turbo (just 305 in the rear). It will be a bit more tail happy but should work fine (That's what I plan to do Nov through April). The bigger (viper) 345 rears fit width-wise but are a bit too tall.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

thx. only a 305 in the rear? damn. tail happy is right. should be fun. 305/35?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

thx. only a 305 in the rear? damn. tail happy is right. should be fun. 305/35?
305/30, it's a Porsche N1 size tire (used in the Turbo or with the wider wheels on 997S).

Check the sizes:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=

Tail happy its OK and more fun for street use, as you aren't going for lap-records!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't worry so much about the cups on your GT2 - they aren't "real" cups, they are PS2 compound made to look like a PSCup. There are threads here about this, including photos of a real cup next to one of these Porsche approved faux-cups. About 2x the rain channel widths and having driven them on street and track, I've concluded they are PS2 compound. So, unless you know from experience you cannot survive on these faux-cups, I'd give them more of a chance before throwing them away.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:40 PM
MarekN
Racer

Two comments:

1) I thought rear tire width on GT2 is 325. I have seen three so far and the OEM tire was a Corsa, many more water channels than MPSC and way deeper too.

2) This controversy with what is a real Cup and isn´t, please explain. Michelin sells a tire to the general public labeled as Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Are these any more real than the Cups on the GT cars? Porsche has the same tire, but with a N0 label to differentiate that this tire was developed exclusively for the GT cars.
The treadware of the MPSC N0 is 80 (?) (off the top of my head). Regular PS has about 160 (?).
Is there some third MPSC range that I am not aware of?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

I'd like to drive the car in all seasons(not snow)
Hero status!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:03 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently drove 4+ hours in non-stop rain on MPSCs. Ranged from showers to out and out pouring. They handled fine. I did slow down from 70 to 55 when it was completely pouring, but for most of the rain, I was doing 70+.

Granted, cold is different, but they should be fine as long as you remain under control.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarekN
Two comments:

1) I thought rear tire width on GT2 is 325. I have seen three so far and the OEM tire was a Corsa, many more water channels than MPSC and way deeper too.

2) This controversy with what is a real Cup and isn´t, please explain. Michelin sells a tire to the general public labeled as Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Are these any more real than the Cups on the GT cars? Porsche has the same tire, but with a N0 label to differentiate that this tire was developed exclusively for the GT cars.
The treadware of the MPSC N0 is 80 (?) (off the top of my head). Regular PS has about 160 (?).
Is there some third MPSC range that I am not aware of?

Thanks
1) I show 325/30R19s and these possibilities. Maybe there are more, but the Bridgestones or Goodyears look like your best bet. Just don't expect MPSC grip... be careful, VERY careful! But they *should* do better on a rainy freeway.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=2&RunFlat=All

Z06 guys seem to like the Bridgestones. I've driven the car on its Goodyears and can we why they would...

2) Lots of tires are altered from their retail spec to fit manufacturer specs. There are PS2s, and then there are PS2 N-specs (Porsche only) and who knows how many other specs for other car maunfacturers.

pete
Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Don't worry so much about the cups on your GT2 - they aren't "real" cups, they are PS2 compound made to look like a PSCup. There are threads here about this, including photos of a real cup next to one of these Porsche approved faux-cups. About 2x the rain channel widths and having driven them on street and track, I've concluded they are PS2 compound. So, unless you know from experience you cannot survive on these faux-cups, I'd give them more of a chance before throwing them away.
Ron,

From my experience with the GT3 MPSCs, they are fine on a rainy backroad (very fine, in fact), borderline when following another car's tracks through standing water on the freeway at 60-70 mph, and flat out dangerous when you pull out to pass said car in a VERY conservative manner.

If I had a GT3, I would absolutely have a set of wheels with PS2s around for the rainy season if I planned to use the car on the freeway. Snowboarder54 and I were just talking about this, and his experiences are identical to mine.

pete
Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
Ron,

From my experience with the GT3 MPSCs, they are fine on a rainy backroad (very fine, in fact), borderline when following another car's tracks through standing water on the freeway at 60-70 mph, and flat out dangerous when you pull out to pass said car in a VERY conservative manner.

If I had a GT3, I would absolutely have a set of wheels with PS2s around for the rainy season if I planned to use the car on the freeway. Snowboarder54 and I were just talking about this, and his experiences are identical to mine.

pete
I live in NY, and driven my cars through all seasons on PS2. I just avoid heavy snow days and only have been stuck twice in 4 years (but towed away easily by my wife on her SUV with a bungee cord).

My GT2 will be driven all year round and will use PS2s November through April. There's a ton of grip in our cars due to rear weight bias: For example, I had Winter tires on my E46 M3 and several times I was not able to drive up my steep driveway in the Winter. That has never been the case with the 997s, and that's using PS2s...
Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The OEM PSC is a PSC compound not a PS2 compound. Therefore, it heat cycles with spirited driving, and track driving.

A 305 won't make a GT2 tail happy, unless you drive on the streets like a mad man.

I ran MPSC for three years as my street tire living in NJ. Car could not be driven in winter, not even on dry days.

With PS2, I drove in most conditions.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:57 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
You can use the same tire sizes in PS@ as the GT3RS or the Turbo (just 305 in the rear). It will be a bit more tail happy but should work fine (That's what I plan to do Nov through April). The bigger (viper) 345 rears fit width-wise but are a bit too tall.
Tail happy on you, because you're a mad man. Most people drive on the streets like human beings.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

MPSC (n0) are just fine in the rain. Just went through the rainy season on them and life still pretty good in the tropics.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:59 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Porsche PSC is NOT a PSC compound and this has been written about extensively in magazines, Porsche materials (ie: brochure piece I read that said "reformulated for increased cold and wet traction"), from representatives of TireRack who compared "original" to Porsche PSC and posted the results here on RennList, from Michelin who responded through TireRack to my complaint about how they are different, etc. My own experience with them, with "real" PSC in 18", and with PS2 since the PS2 was released convinces me that the compound used in the "faux" cup that comes on the GT3 is incredibly close if not the actual compound used in the PS2.

As Pete said - the Porsche PSC from the GT3 is so "sedate" when compared with the real PSC that you can actually drive them in the cold and rain. That's why Porsche worked with Michelin to reformulate and redesign the tread pattern / rain channels - so that they could put them on the GT3 and not worry so much about the litigators (read: drivers running off the road because they don't know how to handle a real cup). Also, remember the M3 and M3 CSL and how in ROW they were delivered with cups, but here in the US BMW would not even consider delivering an M car with the Cup because of liability concerns with our legal system.

Not saying the Porsche Cup is a bad tire - just that it's a hybrid between design concepts from the original cup with modified tread design and reformulated compound.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The OEM PSC is a PSC compound not a PS2 compound. Therefore, it heat cycles with spirited driving, and track driving.

A 305 won't make a GT2 tail happy, unless you drive on the streets like a mad man.

I ran MPSC for three years as my street tire living in NJ. Car could not be driven in winter, not even on dry days.

With PS2, I drove in most conditions.

Quick Reply: 997 GT 2 tire issue