Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating (GT-R N-ring)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um. So it is the opinion of the learned here that one tire is best for all cars? regardless of weight,balance or 4 vs. 2 wheel drive? Not sure I would agree,but of course I don't know for sure.

I would guess that each manufacturer has the resources to figure out what works best for their baby.

From day one, no one could figure out how a 500HP 3900 lb car could lap near C-GT times over 17 mi

I've briefly driven a GT-R, but not on the track. As I said, a real racer got one to come within a few seconds of a GT-3 on a very technical course. Based upon specs, that sounds about right. Not nearing a car that is 700 lbs lighter with 120 HP on it. C'mon NJ, something is wrong with that picture...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
How can you explain about the GT-R test results by various motor magazines? It has been beating almost all of its competitors throughout the world.
+10000. GTR cheated in all those reviews too? I thought everyone already concluded that that car's horsepower numbers are wayyyy underrated. May be that's their way of trying to make a big news in a performance cars world. If you don't like those news, move on! Don't read it. GTR is the showcase of how technology can change people's perception of XXX horsepower car with XXX weight should go quicker than car with YYY horsepower with YYY weight. Bottomline is 70k Nissan with 4 seats is faster than Porsches that cost 2 to 3 times more. Period. Can't believe rennlist is becoming like a Z06Forum with GTR this and GTR that threads so that everyone could start the bashing.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by datax
+10000. GTR cheated in all those reviews too? I thought everyone already concluded that that car's horsepower numbers are wayyyy underrated. May be that's their way of trying to make a big news in a performance cars world. If you don't like those news, move on! Don't read it. GTR is the showcase of how technology can change people's perception of XXX horsepower car with XXX weight should go quicker than car with YYY horsepower with YYY weight. Bottomline is 70k Nissan with 4 seats is faster than Porsches that cost 2 to 3 times more. Period. Can't believe rennlist is becoming like a Z06Forum with GTR this and GTR that threads so that everyone could start the bashing.
So

You've driven one (customer car that is) on the track?

BTW, price is already $80K + with knowledgeable rumors of near $100 next year.

Either way it's a great street car, no argument there. Just too many electronic hands to be a real racer the way many of us like it.

And, don't even try to say that after 4-6 weeks, endless spares and "engineers" at the "Ring" Nissan was playing it completely straight.

Oh, and it ain't no 4-seater. Been in it. Unless your 4 yo is a double amputee, they won't fit either. A TT has more rear leg room.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

C.J. you doubt the great Rohrl? How dare you? Such is sacrilege....go and say three Hail Stuttgarts.

"let's not pretend Walter Rohrl is the fastest driver in the world"...rubbish.

and I quote:
"Driving at the Ring recently in a Ferrari 599 GTB (Porsche had it for appraisal), Rohrl found himself gradually gaining on a black car in the distance. Eventually he is a metre from the back bumper of what turns out to be another 599. Into one of the last corners, its driver makes a mistake and Röhrl dives up the inside. Later the black car draws alongside, its window winds down and the driver calls Röhrl a ‘lunatic’. Mind, Michael Schumacher never was a good loser…"

He may not be the greatest anymore...but around the 'Ring? Good luck finding better.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/21..._in_brief.html
Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
So

You've driven one (customer car that is) on the track?

BTW, price is already $80K + with knowledgeable rumors of near $100 next year.

Either way it's a great street car, no argument there. Just too many electronic hands to be a real racer the way many of us like it.

And, don't even try to say that after 4-6 weeks, endless spares and "engineers" at the "Ring" Nissan was playing it completely straight.

Oh, and it ain't no 4-seater. Been in it. Unless your 4 yo is a double amputee, they won't fit either. A TT has more rear leg room.
No but I have driven R34 on the track in england and it is mind blowingly faster than what one would think of 3400 lbs car should be. And, no doubt R35 is doing even better. How about you? Have you ever been inside any car with that much technology to make it go fast? Whether one wants electronics in their racing car or not is their choice. For me, I love seeing technology pushing ahead. That's why I am a fan of Formula 1 instead of Nascar.

Here's GTR beating GT3 (700 lbs less car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjwJl4t-DF8

GTR beating 997 TT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnmpIqFoYtg

Another one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITv1xQRKMt4

Screw the ring times. But, other tests still shows it's a faster car than most imagined.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 AM
vtgts300kw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
He may not be the greatest anymore...but around the 'Ring? Good luck finding better.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/21..._in_brief.html
Especially in a Porsche.

There would be nobody better qualified to throw a Porsche around a race track.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Porsche go on and on about tyres etc blah, blah, blah....A whole lot of excuses!!! The fact of the matter is that MPSCs whilst road tyres are far from your average performance road tyre...If this is the argument they wish to use, why don't they slap slicks on the gt2 and turbo to prove how much faster they could go (as they obviously draw the conclusion in the article).

Fact of the matter is that the turbo and gt2 are both turbocharged and can boosted as press cars just like the GTR... If Nissan are boosting all their press cars then in the CAR review (posted by datax) why did a privately owned GTR pump the press prepared 911 turbo after just one lap.

Porsche should spend less time slinging mud and more time improving their own product. Actions speak louder than words!!! and frankly I haven't seen Porsche come first on any tests to date...

Maybe this is why Nissan doesn't waste time responding to rubbish... the proof is on the scoreboard.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
h-bo
Instructor

Fantastic news... more competition is great for us. gtr and porsches are clearly fantastic cars, that are now going to be even more eager to better each other.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

So then you've also seen this 09 Carrera S - GT-R drag race ?

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...4e&area=videos

It's a great car for Nissan, but theyve been cheating for PR...
Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

i am not arguing either way. i dont know much about GTR.
however, two weeks ago, an intermediate driver, with a brand new GTR, no alignment done, on tires that was delivered on the car, fully stock, clocked 2:05 at thundehrill over the top. cup cars do low 1:50's, some very fast street 6gt3's do 1:59 (mpsc or R6). though 205 isn't that fast, it's not bad for an intermediate driver on the first outing with a new car to get that time, especially considering how big of a car that is.

i am intrigued.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
forget about the GTR.... the viper ACR is crazy fast.....

i still feel however that a properly set up gt3 will lead the pack.

here is the list folks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times
\

If I wanted the fastest I would take the Viper ACR hands down. I don't think a properly set up GT3 would take down the ACR and if you start mods on the GT3 and the Viper, the Viper would still come out on top.

I seriously thought about getting an ACR after the Vipers performance on this years OLOA but I love my 996GT3 to much to sell it for the fastest car.

Peter
Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

I delivered my GTR yesterday to the buyer.
The car looked very beautifull inside and out in real life to me. That was the biggest surprise to me.

After playing with it a bit (Never driving it fast) I was very impressed, but it does not feel as nice as a GT3. Personally for my track car I like simple, no options, no frills, low seating position, etc.
If I did not track my car, the GT3 would be gone now and I would keep the Nissan.

I stick with the known durability of a GT3 for now, but if these Nissan's build a reputation of dealers honering warranty even if tracked unmodified and they prove that they do not break, I think one could be faster, more comfortable with more toys in a GTR or even a Spec-V in a few years.

I can not immagine anything "feeling" better on the track than a GT3, but I have not driven the Nissan at speed yet. Test results speak highly of the fun factor though....
Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by datax
How about you? Have you ever been inside any car with that much technology to make it go fast? Whether one wants electronics in their racing car or not is their choice. For me, I love seeing technology pushing ahead. That's why I am a fan of Formula 1 instead of Nascar.

Screw the ring times. But, other tests still shows it's a faster car than most imagined.
You're right. A technologic tour de force to stretch Physics that much. But I prefer that I control the car and develop the skill-set. If you strap any extension to your own capabilities,what do you have?

F1 is F1. IMSA is IMSA. So yes, I'm for advancement within a formula. But the two sides to the coin is that you can only go as far as the car too.

As far as your youtubes. That's very nice, I'm sure you'll find contrary reports too. Why do you trust that stuff?

Anyway, nice car. But I passed when mine came in for delivery. The dealer's GM was shocked, but happy in the end since someone paid him $10K more. I knew I'd be keeping it about a month before I got bored.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
JWGT2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i am not arguing either way. i dont know much about GTR.
however, two weeks ago, an intermediate driver, with a brand new GTR, no alignment done, on tires that was delivered on the car, fully stock, clocked 2:05 at thundehrill over the top. cup cars do low 1:50's, some very fast street 6gt3's do 1:59 (mpsc or R6). though 205 isn't that fast, it's not bad for an intermediate driver on the first outing with a new car to get that time, especially considering how big of a car that is.

i am intrigued.
You should try a few laps in my GTR up at Reno! C'mon, you know you want to go w/ us.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by JWGT2
You should try a few laps in my GTR up at Reno! C'mon, you know you want to go w/ us.
shut up.
aren't you taking delivering of a certain atlas grey car TODAY, like right now maybe you are on the phone doing the deal

Quick Reply: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating (GT-R N-ring)