Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

bolt crossthreaded on rear calaiper

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008 | 03:28 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Default bolt crossthreaded on rear calaiper

just went to change rear pads and the top allen bolt came out about 3/4 the way and got real tight so i tap the whole thing all around but no luck getting bthe bolt out unless i really force it not sure how to get this out.also when i go to tighten it now it won't go all the way tight either.

tie bolt looks to be about 4 turns until it will be all the way out.should i just strong arm it out,than replace with new bolt or is the part that it bolts into going to strip out. or wd-40

and one more thing so i try to tighten it and it won't seat all the way in either looks also to be around 4 turns short of the bolt being seated.

what to do?thanks
Old 09-27-2008 | 04:56 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Default caliper bolt

Same thing happened on my rear caliper. The bolt stripped the insert. No big deal. I replaced with a new thread insert.

Just Call Wurth products (NJ) and ask for the Time Cert Kit - item # 06611215
(M12 x 1.5 Kit) also order extra insert item #0663121524 (M12 x 1.5 x 24).

If you'd like - you can borrow my kit. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-27-2008 | 05:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

This happens to race teams switching rotors with the 996/997 Cup cars.

I got one of my front calipers converted to studs, because it was not getting the right torque. Race teams use studs at all corners, it is easier to replace rotors for them.

Given that the 997 eats the rear pads quite fast, and caliper removal is needed, plan on having spare bolts. The Porsche workshop requires new bolts for every time the caliper is removed, I think it is an overkill, but replacing them every 2-4 swaps is a good idea. You can inspect the bolts and you will notice the threads wearing out.

Once these bolts get stripped, you might damage the thread in the upright, and that will require a new upright. The upright is made of a soft alloy, and on certain cars (996 GT3 RS) magnesium.

Heat up the trapped bolt with a propane torch, just a little, think 200 degrees F, and try to extract it without tapping, just rotation with a small pressure out (use a plier) .
Old 09-27-2008 | 06:07 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by sasportas
Same thing happened on my rear caliper. The bolt stripped the insert. No big deal. I replaced with a new thread insert.

Just Call Wurth products (NJ) and ask for the Time Cert Kit - item # 06611215
(M12 x 1.5 Kit) also order extra insert item #0663121524 (M12 x 1.5 x 24).

If you'd like - you can borrow my kit. PM me if you have any questions.
OK no big deal so strong arm the bolt out than what? is their already an insert in their and what do i do, pull out the stock insert how to do?than what insert a new insert sleeve type thing and what type of bolt goes back in?

or does this have to be drilled out than put in the insert.

what about getting the insert from porsche?

and do what get a new bolt from porsche?will it be the same size?
Old 09-27-2008 | 06:10 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
This happens to race teams switching rotors with the 996/997 Cup cars.

I got one of my front calipers converted to studs, because it was not getting the right torque. Race teams use studs at all corners, it is easier to replace rotors for them.

Given that the 997 eats the rear pads quite fast, and caliper removal is needed, plan on having spare bolts. The Porsche workshop requires new bolts for every time the caliper is removed, I think it is an overkill, but replacing them every 2-4 swaps is a good idea. You can inspect the bolts and you will notice the threads wearing out.

Once these bolts get stripped, you might damage the thread in the upright, and that will require a new upright. The upright is made of a soft alloy, and on certain cars (996 GT3 RS) magnesium.

Heat up the trapped bolt with a propane torch, just a little, think 200 degrees F, and try to extract it without tapping, just rotation with a small pressure out (use a plier) .
heat it up also and and remove.

what about the above idea of an insert if needed?
Old 09-27-2008 | 10:36 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Default bolts

The hole in the upright will need to be re-threaded if it's stripped. If so, the kit that I mentioned, permanently places a new thread insert into the newly tapped hole. It will accept the same stock caliper bolt. The kit is made for aircraft engines and the heads for big block motors - plenty strong for the heat and torque that the brake caliper will require. My solution will cost you simply your time. The thread insert kit is $150 if you want to purchase. Not sure how much porsche would charge to repair.

Quick Reply: bolt crossthreaded on rear calaiper