997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS vs Stradale 10 years later

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008 | 02:44 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

I wonder what it will do in the next 1 hr!......

Investments in companies are meant to be held.... Cars are meant to be driven.

Enzo Ferrari hated the whole car as an investment mentality (no offence intended), Just like race horses don't belong in barns.
Old 09-24-2008 | 08:50 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I don't know about their relative values but I am almost certain of one thing. There will be a much higher percentage of 997 GT3 RS cars driven on various track than Scuderias, Stradales, whatever else Ferrari builds. There will be 150,000 mile GT3 RS cars that still thrill their owners at their local track.
Old 09-24-2008 | 10:23 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

in 2018, global oil production will be well below today, a gallon of prem will likely cost $15, and both cars will largely be considered pieces of art and readily available supply vastly in excess of demand. as art, both stationary and in motion, i prefer the strad, as slow as it is..
Old 09-24-2008 | 11:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by watt
in 2018, global oil production will be well below today
What do you base that on?
Old 09-25-2008 | 12:13 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by allegretto
What do you base that on?
massive personal research and synthesis -- it's one of my areas of expertise which has driven investment success for myself and my clients -- if you send me your email, I will send you an article I am drafting on the subject which ultimately will turn into an investment guide.

It's not a sound bite discussion but I will look forward to discussion after you have read the article.
Old 09-25-2008 | 01:26 AM
DM1
Racer

As someone who owns both the RS and the CS, I would say the CS will be more Valuable even if it is slower then the RS around the track. There are a lot of cars out there at a tenth of the price that are faster then the RS and the CS but speed is not the only factor that makes a car great or valuable.
Old 09-25-2008 | 01:39 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt
massive personal research and synthesis -- it's one of my areas of expertise which has driven investment success for myself and my clients -- if you send me your email, I will send you an article I am drafting on the subject which ultimately will turn into an investment guide.

It's not a sound bite discussion but I will look forward to discussion after you have read the article.
I'd be interested in the article. What do you think of Coal liquefaction?
Old 09-25-2008 | 01:54 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

those Pm.g me for the article -- i need your email!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008 | 09:00 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

If one wonders what car will be worth more in ten years then the answer is simple.

The car that cost the most to purchse today!

I believe the question is what car would you rather have?
Old 09-25-2008 | 10:23 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
If one wonders what car will be worth more in ten years then the answer is simple.

The car that cost the most to purchse today!
Not always true.

Take 80s BMWs, for example. A 1988 M3 is worth a lot more now than a much more expensive at the time 750i.

I haven't researched prices of Ferrari's much but I am guessing that a 930 Turbo kept it's value a lot better than many Ferraris of the same time of production.
Old 09-25-2008 | 07:32 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
Watt can tell you what he thinks.

I'll tell you that there is plenty of time to get into that. I wouldn't rush in right now. Many details to be worked out and there will be winners and losers. Not the place for folks without tons of funds, and perhaps not even for them
Old 09-25-2008 | 09:20 PM
vincentdds
Racer

It all depends on how people perceive the next gen. GT3 RS if there will be any 10 yrs from now. That said , if all things equal, I predict the values of both car will be equal as well.
Old 09-25-2008 | 09:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default rs

Originally Posted by amaist
Not always true.

Take 80s BMWs, for example. A 1988 M3 is worth a lot more now than a much more expensive at the time 750i.

I haven't researched prices of Ferrari's much but I am guessing that a 930 Turbo kept it's value a lot better than many Ferraris of the same time of production.

excelent point!
Old 09-26-2008 | 07:10 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yargk
CTL [coal to liquids] at first blush -- eureka, the answer!!! One can produce liquid fuels from coal, but
- net energy gained is low [ratio of energy output/energy inputs]
- CO2 produced is massive
-Capital required massive

Sasol in S Africa is the world leader, for obvious reasons if you remember the apartheid embargoes. They are building plants for China today., some were planned USA but unlikely.

GTL [gas to liquids] sounds great too.

Both types of planned plants are cancelling worldwide. why? increasing energy costs have exponentially inflated the cost of building any major project so much, that few are economic anymore!!! The best project/investment is the one that's already built, producing and paid for, whether i's CTL, GTL, oil sands..... if you want your portfolio to pay off that is....

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS vs Stradale 10 years later