Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

some RMS update

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
im told the 996 dosnt suffer the RMS problem that the 997 has experienced...... so the 996 is a safe bet.
I found on the 996 (GT) board probably 25 posts related to RMS leaks. One of the reasons you don't find more I think, is because the 6 RS never reached stateside, so volume of 6 cars (on Rennlist) is just less.

But on the other hand what is the big deal, really, related to these leaks? I adopted a wild dog and he puts his "mark" wherever he goes, so does my RS, but is it really such a big deal that one needs to abandon ownership? I'll consider a new seal before warranty runs out but it almost seems a waste since it apparently will not solve it, so why even bother.

Every time I drive this car it is just simply amazing, even my 5 year old daughter loves it, I don't really want a leak to spoil this.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
scss98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 11,500 miles on my 07 RS before the RMS started leaking. It was replaced under warranty. The first question the dealer asked is if I chipped the car. Porsche will not fix it if the chip has been flashed. They had to download all the engine rev history and do a big write up before Porsche will cover the repair. So rule number 1 is not to flash your computer before warranty is over if you suspect you will have an RMS leak.

Same story was played to me about the seal is designed to seep and the negative pressure is supposed to keep the oil in. They also said it was an updated part. I am very dissapointed to hear that the update part is not effective either.

One thing which is scary to me is that the transmission has to be moved to get the engine out. I believe in the process, the dealer (they denied it of course) knocked one of the hose clips slight off center on one of the 2 main coolant hose sitting on either side of the transmission. If you look at these hoses, the rubber part has an O-ring which sits inside the metal tube. There are a couple small slits in the metal tube for the clip to sit in and hold the O-ring. It is such a flimsy design. The clip is c-shaped and only about 1mm thick. They don't build them like they used to.

I had a major coolant blow out on the track and spun in my own coolant when this hose came off. So for those of you who had the RMS done. Next time you have your car up on a lift, take off the underbody platic covers (the second one from the rear) and inspect those clips. If they are not sitting exactly right, you will have an incident sooner or later!

One more piece of useful information. I call Porsche Roadside assistance since I wasn't sure what caused the coolant blow out. They told me because I am at a race track, they will not pay for a tow truck to come get me. What happened to me could have happened irrespective of where I was driving but they don't care. Luckily, a few of the folks at the track helped me isolate the problem. I spend the better part of the day taking off all those platic covers and putting them back on. Burping the coolant system was another adventure. The good news is after I put the clip back on the right way and refilled it with distilled water, the car ran fine. Porsche told me not to use anybody else's coolant except their pink stuff but distilled water is OK in a pinch.

I would support getting a general call to all GT3 and GT3 RS owners and document this RMS issues. I do believe there will be enough of these to make a case to go after Porsche so that they come up with an effective fix. There are plenty of lawyers in PCA who would be happy to help us on this.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scss98
I had 11,500 miles on my 07 RS before the RMS started leaking. It was replaced under warranty. The first question the dealer asked is if I chipped the car. Porsche will not fix it if the chip has been flashed. They had to download all the engine rev history and do a big write up before Porsche will cover the repair. So rule number 1 is not to flash your computer before warranty is over if you suspect you will have an RMS leak.

Same story was played to me about the seal is designed to seep and the negative pressure is supposed to keep the oil in. They also said it was an updated part. I am very dissapointed to hear that the update part is not effective either.

One thing which is scary to me is that the transmission has to be moved to get the engine out. I believe in the process, the dealer (they denied it of course) knocked one of the hose clips slight off center on one of the 2 main coolant hose sitting on either side of the transmission. If you look at these hoses, the rubber part has an O-ring which sits inside the metal tube. There are a couple small slits in the metal tube for the clip to sit in and hold the O-ring. It is such a flimsy design. The clip is c-shaped and only about 1mm thick. They don't build them like they used to.

I had a major coolant blow out on the track and spun in my own coolant when this hose came off. So for those of you who had the RMS done. Next time you have your car up on a lift, take off the underbody platic covers (the second one from the rear) and inspect those clips. If they are not sitting exactly right, you will have an incident sooner or later!

One more piece of useful information. I call Porsche Roadside assistance since I wasn't sure what caused the coolant blow out. They told me because I am at a race track, they will not pay for a tow truck to come get me. What happened to me could have happened irrespective of where I was driving but they don't care. Luckily, a few of the folks at the track helped me isolate the problem. I spend the better part of the day taking off all those platic covers and putting them back on. Burping the coolant system was another adventure. The good news is after I put the clip back on the right way and refilled it with distilled water, the car ran fine. Porsche told me not to use anybody else's coolant except their pink stuff but distilled water is OK in a pinch.

I would support getting a general call to all GT3 and GT3 RS owners and document this RMS issues. I do believe there will be enough of these to make a case to go after Porsche so that they come up with an effective fix. There are plenty of lawyers in PCA who would be happy to help us on this.
It almost sounds to me like the experience we are getting from Porsche is a dealer by dealer thing as well. Now what possible relationship can putting a chip in your car have with oil leaking around a crank seal.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

scss98 -- Excellent advice on the coolant leak issue following a RMS fix -- I had a slight coolant leak immediately following a RMS fix on my RS, and sure enough it was a loose hose clip. I caught the coolant leak in time, i.e., before a major blow. If those clips aren't just right, given the pressure running through the system, there will be a problem. No doubt in mind that the coolant issue I had was related to the RMS "repair."
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kolbjorn S
But on the other hand what is the big deal, really, related to these leaks? I adopted a wild dog and he puts his "mark" wherever he goes, so does my RS, but is it really such a big deal that one needs to abandon ownership? I'll consider a new seal before warranty runs out but it almost seems a waste since it apparently will not solve it, so why even bother.

Every time I drive this car it is just simply amazing, even my 5 year old daughter loves it, I don't really want a leak to spoil this.
Well said.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Paul et al,

I had the leak - not bad but it left a small puddle under the car. Replaced RMS at around 8000 KM. The new one leaked too, not as much. Given the issues of questionable permanent fixes, I ignored it and just drove the ca. Now have 36,000 KM and the car does not leak. Maybe the drive it a lot (track every second week) has some merit.

best,
Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Paul et al,

I had the leak - not bad but it left a small puddle under the car. Replaced RMS at around 8000 KM. The new one leaked too, not as much. Given the issues of questionable permanent fixes, I ignored it and just drove the ca. Now have 36,000 KM and the car does not leak. Maybe the drive it a lot (track every second week) has some merit.

best,
Hey Bob how do you know if it still leaks if you park it in the same spot in the laneway? lol
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Paul et al,

best,
i would have ignored it as well except i got black flagged at mosport for spraying oil all over the place after #3 fix and #4 left a huge puddle on my garage floor (not a drop or two)

so far, the new seal (turbo) is working - knock wood
Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM
scss98
Instructor

That's an interesting observation. When I first saw the leak, there was maybe a cup's worth after I left the car overnight. Then I just kept driving and the leak diminished the next day. maybe the dealer was right, it was engineering to have a vacuum to suck the oil back in. My first reaction was that they overfilled the oil which is why I kept driving. btw does anyone have issues with their oil level gauge? It seems that I never get the same reading twice. It would read full and if I keep idling, the level goes down.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
i would have ignored it as well except i got black flagged at mosport for spraying oil all over the place after #3 fix and #4 left a huge puddle on my garage floor (not a drop or two)

so far, the new seal (turbo) is working - knock wood
Did you get the Dealer to put it in (turbo seal) or did you go outside?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
NAYLEVEN YI TI TRI
Intermediate

Default porsche engineering ????

This rms issue is ridiculous. i am waiting for the 3d seal and really do not have high hopes the will fix it. For a car priced over $ 100,000, this is too much.
I support the idea of STARTING A THREAD ON THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE INDEED FIXED THE PROBLEM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
adamr
Advanced

Mine is fixed (touch wood) ... 996TT seal ...
Old 09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
340Elise
Banned

I think that a little leaking from the seal can be normal depending on how and how often the car is driven.

One of the other reasons for the leak could be the use of the O-40 weight engine oil. You can use a heavier weight oil during the warmer season (i.e. track season) and have heard from a few "experienced" sources that this can help. The manual does mention a heavier weight oil allowed for warmer temps.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey guys I've said this before and I'll say it again... Believe me we're not rocket-scientists here so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. Took our car in to get the "new" 997GT3 seal in twice and each time it leaked even worse than before. Got tired of that and so we used the 996GT3/TT seal of old (a much better design for actually SEALING) and guess what? No leak. Not a drop. All the other cars we install GT3 single mass flywheels get the same treatment. The result? So far not one of them drips any oil. I'm not saying the 996tt/gt3 seal is 100 per cent full-proof but there are so few 996GT3 that had leaks and they used said seal. For those of you either sick and tired of the BS I'd say give this a try...

Some background.... The 997GT3 seal is the same _crap_ teflon seal which has been known to leak with any M97 motor. I prefer the design of the original 996TT and 996GT3 seal. It's a better design with a spring in there instead of that teflon crap that doesn't seal.... If you want to use that along with the ring (same size) it's: 999 113 426 41.

Quick Reply: some RMS update