Rotor Cracks- Is it time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnerd

Are the 996 and 997 rotors essentially the same?
they are the SAME only for:
steel front rotors.
all other variation, front or rear, pccb etc are unique.
i dont know if the front steel rotors have the same part number, but they are the same as i switch them back and forth on my 7 and 6 gt3.s

btw, RS and 7gt3 front steel rotors are identical too.

the caliper bolts (securing caliper to upright) of 6gt3, 7gt3 and 7RS for front (if steel) are same as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I got 40 days out of my rotors on the RS. Frank what pads are you using? The RS 19 or 29 work well.

I have switched to the DeMan (site sponsor) vented and slotted rotors which should last longer. They are a direct bolt on. On my 996 GT3, rotors lasted only ten days or so until I added cup car brake ducts and used RS 19 front pads and RS 14 rears. That improved the brake bias and got the rears to actually help slow the car!

Front cast iron rotors on the 996 and 997 GT3 and GT3 RS are identical as Mooty says.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are toast, IMO. Cracks on either side of the hole are just about where they need to be replaced.

I replace my rotors before I reach min. thickness due to cracks. Otherwise, run a slotted design and you can run to min. thickness.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I got 40 days out of my rotors on the RS. Frank what pads are you using?

If this was meant for me, I am running Yellow 29's all the way around. I too get more pad wear on the rear, starting this weekend going to turn off the TC and see what happens.

I put protosport rotors on. Hear is a good one, Chuck P and I were running together last weekend, Chuck has the Deman I have proto, the internal vents run the same direction on ours (as you would expect they should) but our slots run in opposite directions, Just an interesting observation. Also the Protosports are made in Germany Not sure where Deman are from. fyi.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've now done two events with heavy braking using the Deman rotors and find them to be excellent. They don't appear to be wearing at all and the brake pedal is firm with no signs of warping or anything out of the ordinary. I did find that it took a session or so for the used brake pad to assimilate with the new rotor.

Next time around however, I may go for the 2-pc Gyrodisc to save some weight.

Quick Reply: Rotor Cracks- Is it time?