Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice car ... fremont my home town..
Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dam if I could have got premier to clear coat it for me!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rad the C63 weighs 3680 lbs according to my sale document just a little heavier than

a TT. Cute---- now youre yaNkig my chainLOL
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
With all that extra weigtht, you need those brakes. That car carries almost 500 lbs over the M3.

You are also going to need wider tires, to be able to use that power other than in straight line.

I'm not into Mercedes slush boxes 4-door sedans as you might notice. It is a cute car though, especially the back, looks like a Lexus (which is cute also)

Check this out. That C63 reaches 100 mph in 9.2 seconds. Pretty impressive, that's what a 997 GT3 RS runs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...comparo_ts.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...comparo_ts.pdf
You need to drive a Black Series, and I guarantee all the talk about weight, handling etc will disappear. I have had professional drivers just say "Wow"; and it makes me smile to see the GTR get all the attention. I have tried to tell anyone who will listen that the Black Series is the bargain of the century at current prices versus a GT3.

It is amazing to see people get entrenched in a position and then try to rationalize (and yes I could be accused of the same thing, but with only one Mercedes and 3 Porsches I think it establishes my objectivity and bias (Porsche).

We need more people here who have the courage of their convictions and can evaluate what works for them as opposed to bowing to conventional wisdom and some perceived measure of the best; especially a mediocre journalist(s) , getting free perks and unable to put to his own hard earned $$$ behind a purchase that he/she has to live with.

The C63 is an awesome car and incredible value; it is no Black Series; but if you are not going to the ragged edge (and Old Guy isn't) it is a superb choice (with good brakes). And (imo) the standard of comparison for a compact/mid size 4 door sedan. BMW lost the recipe some time ago (2002 tii).
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 AM
jenk12m
Banned

paul, you gotta bring the car down when i come to san diego.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Rad the C63 weighs 3680 lbs according to my sale document just a little heavier than

a TT. Cute---- now youre yaNkig my chainLOL
C&D put the cars on the scale, that's why the numbers are different than the brochure. My 996 GT3 brochure had my car at 3,043 lbs, it was off by 90 lbs.

Don't try the scales with the C63, it could scare you.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
You need to drive a Black Series, and I guarantee all the talk about weight, handling etc will disappear. I have had professional drivers just say "Wow"; and it makes me smile to see the GTR get all the attention. I have tried to tell anyone who will listen that the Black Series is the bargain of the century at current prices versus a GT3.

It is amazing to see people get entrenched in a position and then try to rationalize (and yes I could be accused of the same thing, but with only one Mercedes and 3 Porsches I think it establishes my objectivity and bias (Porsche).

We need more people here who have the courage of their convictions and can evaluate what works for them as opposed to bowing to conventional wisdom and some perceived measure of the best; especially a mediocre journalist(s) , getting free perks and unable to put to his own hard earned $$$ behind a purchase that he/she has to live with.

The C63 is an awesome car and incredible value; it is no Black Series; but if you are not going to the ragged edge (and Old Guy isn't) it is a superb choice (with good brakes). And (imo) the standard of comparison for a compact/mid size 4 door sedan. BMW lost the recipe some time ago (2002 tii).
I have a friend that has won the AMG Challenge one or two times. He drove the CLK BS and he liked the car a lot, the car is setup neutral.

I just can't justify the price. They can build a C63 for $60k, but a CLK runs for double that.

Now I just saw two test mules of the SL 65 BS three weeks ago on the road (HWY-15 South). They look mean, and wide, like Ferrari Testarossa wide. That Mercedes will be something serious.

The CLK BS at $85k, I will trade-in the M3 immediately, install rear seats and belts. At $135k no thanks. The car is beautiful in Silver.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I have a friend that has won the AMG Challenge one or two times. He drove the CLK BS and he liked the car a lot, the car is setup neutral.

I just can't justify the price. They can build a C63 for $60k, but a CLK runs for double that.

Now I just saw two test mules of the SL 65 BS three weeks ago on the road (HWY-15 South). They look mean, and wide, like Ferrari Testarossa wide. That Mercedes will be something serious.

The CLK BS at $85k, I will trade-in the M3 immediately, install rear seats and belts. At $135k no thanks. The car is beautiful in Silver.
list on the SL black series is over 300k....and it's supposed to be 4114 lbs!!!

I really like the overall package of the black series, and can't wait for one to depreciate enough so I can get it in the 85k range- that's a lot of car. I did think the interior was a bit chintzy (which I can see on a GT3, because it's 600-900lbs lighter at least)

are there any simple weight loss solutions for the black series? can you gut the car in any particular area?

does anyone want to start a SpecBlackSeries in 2011?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:42 PM
prg
Pro

The automatic on the C63 really works quite nicely. AMG has come up with some great software for this gearbox. I did a parking lot "autocross" on my test drive. It blips for downshifts. The cars automatic made the appropriate decision re holding a gear on corner entry. Handling and steering feel are at least in the same ballpark as the M3. (A vast improvement in steering feel compared to my prior S55amg and the SL55.) This is not the numb lifeless steering wheel of prior AMG MB products.

M3 interior was superior in my opinion. If you are significantly overweight, the C63 seat side bolsters are not going to be very comfortable. I'm 5'10" 190lb and I'm at the maximum width adjustment on the sided bolsters. The seats really hold you in place nicely.

The M3 motor is very nice, but needs to be revved to be any fun. The C63 just has a silly amount of torque everywhere in the powerband and it makes a glorious noise when hammered.

I went test driving planning on bringing home an M3. The C63 just produced a much bigger grin. My completely subjective opinion.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 PM
sheim911rs
Intermediate

awesome car! Congratulations and enjoy it! The AMGs are wonderful, but hopefully you'll be back in a Porsche in the future.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

CHris no shifting till 1000 miles
DO you know when to wax? the car is 2 months old

Paul,

Best combo I found after years and years of waxing with all kinds of products is (from bare paint/no prior wax) McGuiars #7 Glaze first. The follow with Mcguiars #26 Profesional yellow wax. Your paint will look a mile deep. Unlike the shine that all those new synthetic thats offered nowadays, you'll see a big difference in shine and longetivity.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
list on the SL black series is over 300k....and it's supposed to be 4114 lbs!!!

I really like the overall package of the black series, and can't wait for one to depreciate enough so I can get it in the 85k range- that's a lot of car. I did think the interior was a bit chintzy (which I can see on a GT3, because it's 600-900lbs lighter at least)

are there any simple weight loss solutions for the black series? can you gut the car in any particular area?

does anyone want to start a SpecBlackSeries in 2011?
i would be all over one as well if i could get a black series at 85k
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

CHris no shifting till 1000 miles
DO you know when to wax? the car is 2 months old
Paul, Sorry, to answer your first question.... wax it now asap before dirt settles and adhere to it, then you would have to clay it to get the grime 100% off before pure glaze and wax(or you'll be sealing the dirt under the wax).

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 08-27-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike I waxed it right away.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe overkill but I clay all my cars first no matter how new

overseas shipping, sitting in freight yards, road grime from transport all put a load on paint

besides, it's like a new girlfriend, you want to touch all the parts

Quick Reply: Ok the official GT3 Replacement pic thread The AMG