Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gt2 @ MSRP, would you hit that?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:50 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gt2 @ MSRP, would you hit that?

i know a dealer that i bot an RS from a while back. he has a white GT2, new car, mso. 40 miles. 208 sticker.

he wanted 50. he wanted 30, he wanted 20. now he says he'd do it for me at list "due to our rleationship". funny stuff.

i frankly LOVE my RS. not sure why, its nimble handling. linear engine. i never drive that fast or quick or rip it from any line. i just love the way the darn thing rumbles and shakes, hugs turns. i cant hear anything on my cell phone. i love the tone. speed is nice but isnt my highest priority. feel is more the thing for me.

i am not trading my RS in. the gt2 would be , well, additional. i just dont know about the car. it seems to get great reviews. dudes up here who own it seem to love it. havent heard anything negative on it per se other than maybe it being a bit "refined" compared to the RS.

there is something compelling about watching US Robotics at 200/share, then 150., then 100 . geez if you liked it at 200, then yo ugotta love it at 100, right?

\but why in the world are these coming off their prices so darn quickly? i know dudes who paid that 50, 60 + sticker, heck, 8 weeks ago. now im sitting here thinking we got another 996 GT2 on our hands. one bitten twice shy.

does anyone think the gt2 at sticker is a compelling reason to get the car? or do we think its heading lower from here? and will they bounce?
i remember when CGts were the most hated porsche of the decade. they are now well above sticker once again.

anyway, just wanted to hear your thoughts. i'm 50/50 on it, and on something like this, i think i fyou're not more than 50/50, u gotta sit it out. then again, im not that smart.

thx in advance.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

the only way I'd do it is if I knew of someone who wanted it when I was done with it. For the $, I'd rather get a cup car, spares, and go race.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:13 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

CJ thats you. Steven is different he is more of a collector. He is always willing to take a chance on
a car that might be a good investment. He drives them but if it looks like a hit, it goes into a collection.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

still OG, the car must have a market for there to be a market, and I define that as having a buyer lined up before I buy anything...that's the way I've been on all my cars- if I won't be able to sell it to someone, then I'll never be able to justify the cost of keeping it.

one of my friends in DFW actually bought a black CGT knowing he'll sell it to me when I can afford it.

oh and steven, I know you've already got some Fcars, but anything north of 150k takes me out of porsche deutsche marks and into Ferrari Lira. I'm also looking at the MSRP of the 600+HP Saleen Raptor that comes out next year (185k) as something that looks attractive both visually and performance wise.

I think the realistic porsche market operates healthily between 75k/ 90k(993TT, 964 T 3.6, 996GT2, 996GT3) and ~150k (993Turbo S, 997RS, 993GT2)

while the best ferrari buys are between 150k (575M, last of the 360 spiders, almost to a 360CS) and 500k(F40, whatever special car is new,etc).

anything significantly over or under those margins will be either too rough condition-wise or too inflated cost-wise. that is the sweet spot in ownership- once a porsche slips under 75k, the next bump stop is 40k, then 25k. I'll come up with a more detailed discertation at some point but that is us.

Last edited by C.J. Ichiban; 08-16-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: TMI
Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

If I were thinking of a GT2, it would be a 996 GT2. It is the VERY last of the non-nanny cars and the prices they're trading at are ridiculous. At the current pricing, it has to go up in value in the long term.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

investment? ha. thats funny. if negative returns is what you're after than current model cars are a great asset to have depreciate the rest of your portfolios.

in th e993, 964 world..you rarely lose money if you buy right. in the 997 world, its just a function of time till you get nicked or hammered. i like the cars. they are nice. noone , not a person, wants to get nicked or hammered, wants to buy at 210 if it will be 180 in 3 months, 5months.

i know the market is unpredictable. im just curious from those out there who have had a RS or Gt3 (since they drive the same) whether you felt disappointed or stoked as nuts in your move/purchase of a gt2? and why in the world have they fallen off the shelf?

and maybe better, why are some dudes still asking 30, 40 over, while i know of 3 dealers that are offering at sticker "but only to their best clients."

Originally Posted by OldGuy
CJ thats you. Steven is different he is more of a collector. He is always willing to take a chance on
a car that might be a good investment. He drives them but if it looks like a hit, it goes into a collection.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i think you've got it dead on the money. very discipline, wise approach to this stuff. i could stomach a loss if end of day someone said its THE car that YOU MUST have..ie. RS (i thnk any RS owner might agree thats pretty much the case on that car). heck, i could sell the rs now, get it cheaper later, but its just oo much fun. worth every single dollar of depreciation that i lovingly enjoy.

crazy that they priced that thing at 200_+++. yeah, that would take me back to the fcar market where i've been...but i didnt enjoy my stay and im staying with the germans for now.

FYI , u dudes been watching that show on TV called Supercar Exposed. pretty good though they gotta get more episodes going. they had a really nice one highlighting the RSs.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
still OG, the car must have a market for there to be a market, and I define that as having a buyer lined up before I buy anything...that's the way I've been on all my cars- if I won't be able to sell it to someone, then I'll never be able to justify the cost of keeping it.

one of my friends in DFW actually bought a black CGT knowing he'll sell it to me when I can afford it.

oh and steven, I know you've already got some Fcars, but anything north of 150k takes me out of porsche deutsche marks and into Ferrari Lira. I'm also looking at the MSRP of the 600+HP Saleen Raptor that comes out next year (185k) as something that looks attractive both visually and performance wise.

I think the realistic porsche market operates healthily between 75k/ 90k(993TT, 964 T 3.6, 996GT2, 996GT3) and ~150k (993Turbo S, 997RS, 993GT2)

while the best ferrari buys are between 150k (575M, last of the 360 spiders, almost to a 360CS) and 500k(F40, whatever special car is new,etc).

anything significantly over or under those margins will be either too rough condition-wise or too inflated cost-wise. that is the sweet spot in ownership- once a porsche slips under 75k, the next bump stop is 40k, then 25k. I'll come up with a more detailed discertation at some point but that is us.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 880 Likes on 365 Posts

History has a way of repeating itself...I personally would pass a GT2 at sticker. Its still overpriced at sticker and it will be selling below sticker very soon!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at my dealer today and he has a GT2 with a "market adjustment" of $76k if I remember correctly. MSRP was around $208k I think. Price wise the car is way out of my range but even if it wasn't I would not be a buyer. At MSRP I would take my chances, drive the car and enjoy my time with it.

And CJ, I know you were just being more descriptive by using terms like Lira and D'Marks... But I had to chuckle because I traded forex for many years but stopped when that single Euro was created.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default gtwho?

Since you already own a RS and have experienced the joy of a 997 in a track purpose platform, I dont think the GT2 would blow your mind as such..... especially for 200 grand price tag.

I wouldnt bother personally.
You will beable to pick one up for cheaper down the road if you really wanted to try one. But i dont think you would really want one that bad right now? After a couple of tanks of gas burned i feel it would be parked as the novelty wore off. Only because of course the RS is parked next to it and you know you love the RS and the RS knows you love her too.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 PM
am722
Drifting

If I liked turbos and were ready to toss down 200k on something, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by spg993tt
very discipline, wise approach to this stuff.
my tastes are too expensive not to think this way- btw: nice collection of muscle. what do you see being the muscle car craze of my generation (under 40, under 30 y/o)? That's what I'm really curious about...

Originally Posted by AndreCT
GT2 with a "market adjustment" of $76k if I remember correctly.
284K??? nice round number... lol

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I dont think the GT2 would blow your mind as such..... especially for 200 grand price tag.

I wouldnt bother personally.
You will beable to pick one up for cheaper down the road if you really wanted to try one. But i dont think you would really want one that bad right now?

not sure if you followed his RS saga a few months back but Steven is kind of a "right now" kinda guy...lol

but I agree, if you could only have one 911, and you already have an RS, the GT2 is a hard sell.

if however you have neither, and can afford it, I'd probably get one just for the fun of it.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

For those in their 40's and 30's.

The muscle car craze died off in the early 70's due to obvious crash impact, emissions, and fuel consumption.

I feel it wasnt until 1995 that we started seeing a return of true cars as a whole that one could lust over.

Therefore here is a list of some cars that one can purchase today for rock bottom price and hold onto as a great driver and investment.

1993-2002 Dodge Viper RT/10-GTS (these are like the corvettes of the 60's, colors, options, horses)
Any porsche 993 (of course RS, cups and GT2's will be and are already hot)
Ferrari F355 (6 speeds)
Ferrari F550 (classic V12 car,6 speeds will be popular)
BMW Z8 (timeless)
Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 PM
rsman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen< call me and we can chat.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:43 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
not sure if you followed his RS saga a few months back but Steven is kind of a "right now" kinda guy...lol
this message board is a magnet for the astronomically insane, the infirmed compulsive car lover. this whole gang of merry men suffers from ADD and all kinds of other flicks and nicks that swarms of well educated psycho therapists would kill to try to diagnose. there is no pill to cure us. just the love of cars.

i just dont see myself going "oh man, what a miss, i could have had a gt2, man i blew it". they are out there. they arent runninga way. like a few up here have said, they seem to be heading lower, or atleast have been heading lower over the short tiem since they came out.
Its apretty wild move in the market from 40,50,60 over to msrp in under a few months.

There is only 1 car i have ever said that about over the last few years. it was a yellow 993 GT2 EVO that Ray Joseph had. had just bot some 993 Turbo S from him, didnt knwo him, didnt know the quality of his word or cars, and that thing was yelling to me. what a beast. i also wasnt that aware of how rare an unmolested gt2 evo from 1997 was. speed yellow. interior was, speed yellow since it was raw and race ready to go. i later went back to find out if still available...nope, europe-bound.

i ll try to find pictures of that car. now THAT is the kind of car you may regret not buying. they just dont make em like that any more.

i wills ay this, that GT2 looks like an animal. it looks fast when its parked.

we're pretty luck to have all these great cars to consider.
anyway, thx alot. i appreciate everyone's advice.

Quick Reply: Gt2 @ MSRP, would you hit that?