Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 Sports Exhaust failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
bprzekop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997 GT3 Sports Exhaust failure

The "sport" button on my GT3 ceased to turn the sports exhaust (louder setting) on at 7500 miles, Porsche dealer diagnosed as a faulty solenoid, replaced under warranty. When I picked up car, the exhaust didn't seem to get as loud in the sport setting but I thought it might be my imagination, and it seemed better under full acceleration and at higher speeds. Today, it stopped working again; pressing sport button does nother. It has only been about 500 miles since last fix, and dealer says problem is a faulty solenoid (same part). Anyone having this kind of problem? Is there another potential cause of this they should investigate?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,397 Likes on 641 Posts

well you could just unplug the solenoid in the engine bay and it will be loud all the time!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
well you could just unplug the solenoid in the engine bay and it will be loud all the time!
Or, if you run at Laguna Seca with the 92db noise limit, you could wire in a switch to keep all the mufflers online, all the time. (don't know for sure if it works yet, but will find out with POC August 22-24th.)
Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Or, if you run at Laguna Seca with the 92db noise limit, you could wire in a switch to keep all the mufflers online, all the time. (don't know for sure if it works yet, but will find out with POC August 22-24th.)
if the flaps are always closed, you WILL pass 92dB at LS.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I like that CJ!! There may be a job for you as a service writer after you baseball career is over.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Just one thought... have you checked underneath to see if this time maybe one of the vacuum lines came off? I know if they replaced the solenoid they might have forgotten to secure the lines back on with new clamps
Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Just one thought... have you checked underneath to see if this time maybe one of the vacuum lines came off? I know if they replaced the solenoid they might have forgotten to secure the lines back on with new clamps
This would be my guess too -- have them check for vacuum on both lines -- those spring clips are junk.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
if the flaps are always closed, you WILL pass 92dB at LS.
That's what I've been saying all along, but I thought you were in the "half throttle, coast" brigade?

ps. Where'd this "Black Sheep" thing come from? Or is that a pastime unrelated to motorsport ... not that there's anything wrong with that ... I hear from my New Zealander (Kiwi) friends that an oversized pair of gumboots (look it up) and a frighteningly realistic poster of a cliff can be all a poor farmer boy needs for a good date. : )
Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Is that possible, I thought as some point the Vacuum will open up the flappers as i call it. if you figure out a way to close all the time, pass it on, In those rare instances that I have a noise limit issue.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's what I've been saying all along, but I thought you were in the "half throttle, coast" brigade?
i dont know how to do the vac line. you are too far for me to bug. and i am too lazy to goto carlsen. seems easier just to buy another car

ps. Where'd this "Black Sheep" thing come from? Or is that a pastime unrelated to motorsport ... not that there's anything wrong with that ... I hear from my New Zealander (Kiwi) friends that an oversized pair of gumboots (look it up) and a frighteningly realistic poster of a cliff can be all a poor farmer boy needs for a good date. : )
long story.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Where'd this "Black Sheep" thing come from?
I'm curious as well. Guess well chat about it Friday.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont know how to do the vac line. you are too far for me to bug. and i am too lazy to goto carlsen. seems easier just to buy another car

long story.
Well, glad to help. : )

ps. I see colm is part of this black sheep, so I guess it's just another case of me being on the outside looking in ... sniff ... : ) ... first HWFM and now this band of brothers in sheep's clothing goes partying with men in black. When will I ever get an invite to the happening parties?

pps. I'm just a bit downhearted today -- may Bernie Mac have them laughing wherever we go next.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,397 Likes on 641 Posts

mooty- I might have a "quiet" exhaust solution in the next few weeks from a shop here in socal. I really want to drive laguna.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:22 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Is that possible, I thought as some point the Vacuum will open up the flappers as i call it. if you figure out a way to close all the time, pass it on, In those rare instances that I have a noise limit issue.
Its definitely closed all the time. I will be happy to do a full post after confirming it works at POC Laguna Seca August 22 - 24.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Sports Exhaust failure