Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008 | 09:09 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Default Transmission problems

I need help trouble shooting a transmission problem I have with my 997 GT3.

My dealer opened up my transmission and replaced the "detent" pin that was missing from the reverse gear shaft. Now, for some mysterious reason, I don't have the ability to get the car into 5th or 6th gear while I'm driving. At stand still, I can get the shifter into all the gates, but I'm meet with an increased amount of resistance as compared to before the transmission was removed.

Any ideas?

Also, the dealer installed a lightweight flywheel and pulley at the same time which feels great when you rev the engine. Could the lightweight flywheel and pulley be causing the transmission problem? Is the new clutch that comes with the lightweight flywheel be the problem?

Please advise if you have any idea - otherwise I'm stuck with only having 1st thru 4th gears.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008 | 09:21 AM
MarekN
Racer

The transmission work is under warranty, you should place the question with them. I am no gearbox tech expert, but you could try double-declutching when shifting from 5 to 6 to line up everything inside. If it works, there is something wrong with that specific synchro.
Old 07-24-2008 | 01:08 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I do not see any way possible for the LWFW to affect 5th 6th gear. agree with above its the dealers problem, I have never heard of a car being delivered with missing parts in the trans. How could that get by QC, Maybe its the same guy in charge of inspecting the RMS.
Old 07-24-2008 | 02:28 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Default transmission

Is it possible that the dealer re-installed 5th and 6th gear incorrectly? Forgot the synchros? Changed the order of the gears - is this even possible? Is there a manual or picture of how this assembly should go together? Does anybody know who would be able to trouble shoot or fix this situation? The dealer replaced the cable yesterday but this did not fix 5th and 6th gears. I'm afraid that the trans will need to be dropped again.
Old 07-24-2008 | 04:05 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Hi there, be aware that you should not drive the car when it grinds gears. If Porsche has to replace your gearbox, they have a booklet of pictures they compare the damage to. If the damage is deemed abuse, you are on the hook for the fix. Even if the grinding is caused by something they did, they may claim abuse now that the gears are rounded, etc.

My car is going in for what the dealer believes is a transmission issue on Monday. About 40% of the time, the car does not want to go into 1st gear cleanly from neutral. There is what feels like something blocking it. I have found three other 997 GT3/RS people online with the exact same issue, so hopefully they resolve it on my car and save the others the hassle of investigating. At first, it was about 10% of the time, then 25% and now it happens often. In addition, the car now grinds going into 2nd randomly as well as being tough to get into the other gears. Oddly, at other times, it shifts very smoothly.

My mechanic friends think it's something to do with the clutch/pressure plate or the input shaft being dry and the clutch slightly hanging up. The dealership believes it's internal to the gearbox. The car gets taken apart on Monday and we'll see where it goes, but Porsche has said if they deem it abuse, I'm on the hook! A rebuilt transmission is $15k. Considering this is my fourth Porsche and ninth car, I would hope that any driver induced problems would have surfaced earlier on in my driving life and that the GT3 would be robust enough to take what my previous Porsches took.

So far, the dealership has been great, so we'll see how it goes. On the bright side, I don't have the RMS leak... yet...
Old 07-24-2008 | 04:57 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

i cant believe your dealership didnt catch the 5th and 6th gear issue before returning the car to you. hopefully you brought the car back to the already and they are now currently looking into the problem. keep us updated
Old 07-24-2008 | 05:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Hi there, be aware that you should not drive the car when it grinds gears. If Porsche has to replace your gearbox, they have a booklet of pictures they compare the damage to. If the damage is deemed abuse, you are on the hook for the fix. Even if the grinding is caused by something they did, they may claim abuse now that the gears are rounded, etc.

My car is going in for what the dealer believes is a transmission issue on Monday. About 40% of the time, the car does not want to go into 1st gear cleanly from neutral. There is what feels like something blocking it. I have found three other 997 GT3/RS people online with the exact same issue, so hopefully they resolve it on my car and save the others the hassle of investigating. At first, it was about 10% of the time, then 25% and now it happens often. In addition, the car now grinds going into 2nd randomly as well as being tough to get into the other gears. Oddly, at other times, it shifts very smoothly.

My mechanic friends think it's something to do with the clutch/pressure plate or the input shaft being dry and the clutch slightly hanging up. The dealership believes it's internal to the gearbox. The car gets taken apart on Monday and we'll see where it goes, but Porsche has said if they deem it abuse, I'm on the hook! A rebuilt transmission is $15k. Considering this is my fourth Porsche and ninth car, I would hope that any driver induced problems would have surfaced earlier on in my driving life and that the GT3 would be robust enough to take what my previous Porsches took.

So far, the dealership has been great, so we'll see how it goes. On the bright side, I don't have the RMS leak... yet...
you should talke to dealer.
first gear prob?
how does one abuse the first gear? it's not like you missed the shift and if you did, the engine would have kaboomed.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems