Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Braking issue at the track - please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by scss98

Mooty, can you explain this fast and progressive method? One of the guys at the race shop told me to try to tip in for 1/2 second before going full bore, almost like a two step. ..
perhaps i wasn't clear. i DONT KNOW how to do fast and progressive. braking is my weakest link.

the fast driver i rode with... he brakes early, drag his foot on the brake for a nanosecond, then squeeze it hard, let the brake go but foot still on it, once it's at his desired speed, back on throttle usually before turn in and WOT right before apex. his foot is on brake pedal 1/2 the time i am on mine, but he stops faster and with no nose dive. i can describe it, but i have never been able to duplicate what he does.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
perhaps i wasn't clear. i DONT KNOW how to do fast and progressive. braking is my weakest link.

the fast driver i rode with... he brakes early, drag his foot on the brake for a nanosecond, then squeeze it hard, let the brake go but foot still on it, once it's at his desired speed, back on throttle usually before turn in and WOT right before apex. his foot is on brake pedal 1/2 the time i am on mine, but he stops faster and with no nose dive. i can describe it, but i have never been able to duplicate what he does.
Is he faster than you around the track? Arent you supposed to trail brake these cars for better front end grip on turn in? Although i suppose you could set the car up for that kind of driving style.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
joyride5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from 911 pro racers... they all tell me slow in fast out.. esp on these rear engine cars. BUT, not slow enough that you can't recover the time lost to get up to speed. There is a fine line.... being able to WOT as early as possible is KEY w/o losing too much speed going into the corner.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Progressive braking can be used while trail braking so they are different techniques for different times.

Progressive braking should be your standard method, touch the brake enough to get the weight to the front of the car, and then increase until just before the threshold and then release with the same slow movement. This is actually faster than stabbing the brakes to ABS when done properly. The trick is to keep the inertia of the car stable, and not jerky.

Trail braking is used to turn tighter than you would normally, and to me isn't really ideal unless you missed the turn in the first place or you just put a pass on the inside under braking and must defend the inside line even though you would usually go a bit wider because you're off the correct line.

Once you are at the speed that is required for the turn which means you slowly let off the brake pedal and got back to the accelerator and kept the same speed going you can then turn in, and use the accelerator to control the attitude of the car, lift slightly and the car will turn in harder, accelerate and the car will push out. Keep the steering wheel at the same angle for the most part, you don't want to look like a bus driver shifting back and forth because the throttle will control where the car goes. Ideally you will be in the right place where you can use as much power as your car can put down at the apex. If you are accelerating before the apex, you usually cut the corner too much and could afford to use more of the track.

(except if you're just completely off line, then this entire post should be disregarded and you should slow down 10mph on corner entry, and work on the line)
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Is he faster than you around the track?
LOL, yes, faster than just about EVERY GT3 in nor cal. i would guess he's faster than jeff r., who's oh.... about 3 seconds faster than me.

Arent you supposed to trail brake these cars for better front end grip on turn in?
DO NOT trail brake a GT3 until you got 30 days on it. if you trailed 1/2 second too long, you are gone. and for faster turns you dont need to trail brake much at all.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:56 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Is he faster than you around the track? Arent you supposed to trail brake these cars for better front end grip on turn in? Although i suppose you could set the car up for that kind of driving style.
my description wasn't clear. all that action happens on the straight. his foot is usually off brk before turn in. so technically not trail braking. u have to watch it. i saw, i learned, i will never get there.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brian S
Progressive braking can be used while trail braking so they are different techniques for different times.

Progressive braking should be your standard method, touch the brake enough to get the weight to the front of the car, and then increase until just before the threshold and then release with the same slow movement. This is actually faster than stabbing the brakes to ABS when done properly. The trick is to keep the inertia of the car stable, and not jerky.

Trail braking is used to turn tighter than you would normally, and to me isn't really ideal unless you missed the turn in the first place or you just put a pass on the inside under braking and must defend the inside line even though you would usually go a bit wider because you're off the correct line.

Once you are at the speed that is required for the turn which means you slowly let off the brake pedal and got back to the accelerator and kept the same speed going you can then turn in, and use the accelerator to control the attitude of the car, lift slightly and the car will turn in harder, accelerate and the car will push out. Keep the steering wheel at the same angle for the most part, you don't want to look like a bus driver shifting back and forth because the throttle will control where the car goes. Ideally you will be in the right place where you can use as much power as your car can put down at the apex. If you are accelerating before the apex, you usually cut the corner too much and could afford to use more of the track.

(except if you're just completely off line, then this entire post should be disregarded and you should slow down 10mph on corner entry, and work on the line)

i think we are in total agreement.
i mentioned i stab the brakes. that's not what i intend to do. it's only when i f-up. i haven't master progressive braking and continue to try to learn that elusive skill. that's perhaps the hardest skill to learn in driving.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

i think we are in total agreement.
i mentioned i stab the brakes. that's not what i intend to do. it's only when i f-up. i haven't master progressive braking and continue to try to learn that elusive skill. that's perhaps the hardest skill to learn in driving.
But probably the second most rewarding, the most rewarding for me was coming from a mid engine platform to the rear engine and learning how to throttle steer the car (not formula-d style)

Throttle steering alone picked up 1 full second at a track that I am very familiar with but was not used to a rear engine car yet.

All I did was drive an old 80's turbo on rock hard tires for 5 laps, and learned how it works at 40mph in a corner instead of the 100mph required with my gt3 but its the same feeling. I jumped in my car, and within maybe 5 laps I was a full second faster than I had ever run before.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Back in the day I was trailbraking my '73 S into the corkscrew at Laguna. Haven't had the ***** to do it in the GT3 yet. Maybe someday . . .
Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Back in the day I was trailbraking my '73 S into the corkscrew at Laguna. Haven't had the ***** to do it in the GT3 yet. Maybe someday . . .
you dont need to on GT3, just tighten up the rear. no understeer there.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

you dont need to on GT3, just tighten up the rear. no understeer there.
John - you are the god of laguna seca.

Are you going to run POC August 22 - 24?

-Doug
Old 07-25-2008, 01:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

John - you are the god of laguna seca.

Are you going to run POC August 22 - 24?

-Doug

i cna't make POC.
but i will be at PCA GGR 8/15-17. a LOT of rennlister GT3 will be there. it will be fine, if i dont get 10 black flags in one session hahahaha.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

i cna't make POC.
but i will be at PCA GGR 8/15-17. a LOT of rennlister GT3 will be there. it will be fine, if i dont get 10 black flags in one session hahahaha.
I am doing the Monterey Historics on the 8/15-17 weekend, so I can't do PCA GGR at Thunderhill that weekend. Why would anyone black flag you at THill?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

LOL, yes, faster than just about EVERY GT3 in nor cal. i would guess he's faster than jeff r., who's oh.... about 3 seconds faster than me.
Whoa, who is this guy?

DO NOT trail brake a GT3 until you got 30 days on it. if you trailed 1/2 second too long, you are gone. and for faster turns you dont need to trail brake much at all.
Ya i figured. First time i got in the car i attempted a trail brake into a slow corner (20 mph or so) and upon turn in the car went extremely sideways. I think in addition to me not knowing how to properly trail brake the stock alignment had something to do with it. Good thing i was going slow enough to catch the slide.

my description wasn't clear. all that action happens on the straight. his foot is usually off brk before turn in. so technically not trail braking. u have to watch it. i saw, i learned, i will never get there.
I'd love to see this. Will he be at GGR's Aug DE/TT?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I am doing the Monterey Historics on the 8/15-17 weekend, so I can't do PCA GGR at Thunderhill that weekend. Why would anyone black flag you at THill?
black flag not meatball.
i seem to tail gate too much trying to learn eric's (early apex's line)

Quick Reply: GT3 Braking issue at the track - please help.