Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new RMS information...

- picked up the car yesterday
- asked them to see the RMS that they took out
- asked them to see the new RMS (they have one in stock for the next car coming in) that they put in
- they are the exact same

-THERE IS NO NEW RMS

- asked them to see the new ring spacer
- they showed it to me but said it wasn't put into my car
- why I asked?
- they said it was only to placed into mid 2008 gt3/rs
- why?
- we started searching and it looks like the mid 08 gt3/rs have an update crank case (i think i remembered that correctly)

- so, if you are hoping the "new" RMS is going to fix your situation - not going to work so don't wste your time

- i then asked to see a 993/996 turbo RMS
- at this point all the parts guys and service guys were all getting interested as they too know that the turbo doesn't leak
- everyone was comparing them
- the major difference is that the 993/996 turbo seal has a flexible inner lip on the seal that must somehow do a better job

- so, the question is why is porsche not using this seal?
- is the answer that in order to release some crank case pressure the seal MUST breath?
- if you do use the 993/996 turbo seal is it going to cause another issue?

- btw, they are also having major issues with all regular 997s (non turbo non gt3) on the rms

- i also got a little tidbit that porsche may be about to stop paying for RMS changes if the car sits and leaks oil as they are going to start calling this normal

- so, for anyone that has installed the 993/996 rms, are you having any other problems or leaks?

discuss

paul

Last edited by 997gt3north; 07-16-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW,I had just bought my GT3 before going to Rennsport III and had heard about this problem.

While I was at the event you might remember that Porsche had invited the top techs in the country .So I took this opportunity to ask some questions, alot of them.

According to the head guy,and I forget his name the rear main is sealed not by the seal itself but by engine vaccum on that seal, and that when installed should not be put into service for at least the ovenight.

It seems like the bottom line is,provided its installed correctly the more you use the car the fewer leaks you should have.

When I first got my car it leaked(a little) because I was not using the car in the middle of the winter.Now that driving season and DE season is upon us I've not noticed one leak.

Any confirmation or rebuttle to this ?

Tom B.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

996 C4S and 3 RMS seals done at different times. The RMS is now sweating again been doing it since spring. Now that the warranty is up I am not fixing it. It's not dripping or causing any other issues so I'll just leave it alone until I need to do the clutch.
I talked to the service manager and he mentioned that Canadian dealers are on the top of the list for warranty jobs for the RMS. He thought it because the expansion and detraction of a hot engine and colder weather and 0-40 doesn't help.
I think the only Porsche model I havn't heard having RMS leaks in the 996 TT and the Cayenne.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I have not heard of any 997tt RMS leaks. I know someone here must have tried the turbo RMS part?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RMS Disclosure

i also got a little tidbit that porsche may be about to stop paying for RMS changes if the car sits and leaks oil as they are going to start calling this normal
paul[/QUOTE]

Good luck Porsche calling RMS leaks normal. I don't know about anyone else but my salesman never said "by the way your new expensive car will leak from the RMS and they don't know how to fix it" and it may not be covered under your warranty.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Does it mean we cannot store our 911 in the winter, and have to keep driving them hard all year long?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Does it mean we cannot store our 911 in the winter, and have to keep driving them hard all year long?
Sorry forgot to mention 3 RMS fixes and it is a Daily Driver.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Porsche calling RMS leaks normal. I don't know about anyone else but my salesman never said "by the way your new expensive car will leak from the RMS and they don't know how to fix it" and it may not be covered under your warranty.

I agree 100% Normal is defined by industry standards, It would not be hard to find an automotive engineer who would opine that this is not NORMAL.

I think we have to look at the glass as being half full hear. Do I like the fact I have a RMS leak, Hell no, but the fact is its about the size of a dime over a months time now that I am driving allot. I have said it before it will not be a problem for me or for Porsche unless it costs me money, either by way of repair costs or diminution of value, if it affects the resale value as some point, and Porsche will not stand behind it, then I have a problem, because I feel this is a design issue that could be fixed, If they can come up with a seal that fixed the space shuttle then they sure can stop oil going around a crank shaft.

thats just me I could be wrong.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I agree 100% Normal is defined by industry standards, It would not be hard to find an automotive engineer who would opine that this is not NORMAL.

I think we have to look at the glass as being half full hear. Do I like the fact I have a RMS leak, Hell no, but the fact is its about the size of a dime over a months time now that I am driving allot. I have said it before it will not be a problem for me or for Porsche unless it costs me money, either by way of repair costs or diminution of value, if it affects the resale value as some point, and Porsche will not stand behind it, then I have a problem, because I feel this is a design issue that could be fixed, If they can come up with a seal that fixed the space shuttle then they sure can stop oil going around a crank shaft.

thats just me I could be wrong.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

Anybody know what the RMS replacement on a 997GT3 would cost outside of warranty?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess its the same or close to the labor cost of doing the LWFW, which i think runs 1500 to 2500, that is my guess.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 AM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in Southern CA, and I don't have to mention the all-year weather conditions here. My 08 GT3 is driven at least twice a week, and still the RMS leak started at around 2,200, and is getting worse. So, we can dispel the "drive it often" advise...
Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

17000 miles on RS, second RMS.
oh well. maybe it needs to be driven even more.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my second rms this last week
gotta call the dealer tomorrow again
Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it maybe have something to do with the way the engine is run-in? I did a very soft and careful run-in, first redlined at 2700 km and always take great care to warm up the car and then cool it. I drive the car only once a week, but also in the winter to keep everything in shape. I have 13500 km now and no leaks at all.

Could the people with the RMS problems please step forward with their run-in procedure?

Quick Reply: new RMS information...