Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Volk 19x11 vs 19x12 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
good idea on the PCCB's...you acted fast! A guy I track with has a 2002 turbo with CCW wheels and he is running 265's on the front just fine. Also the blue wheels in your avitar look like my CCW C14 wheels but painted blue. Is that what they are? Are they powder coated and how did you get a center cap to work with the C14's?
Yup, they are the C-14 and yes they are powdercoated in blue. The center caps I modified by hand and they are simply held in with RTV blue silicon. I made them to fit tight, but you still need to add the silicone on the inside so they don't jar loose. With the silicon you can easily remove them when needed (generally only when you mount and balance tires), and then quickly silicone them back in. I don't change tires that often (since I don't get to track my car but maybe 3 or 4 times a year if I am really lucky), so it is not an issue at all.

I am running R888 255's up front with no issues, so I can see that a 265 will work. But again, a 9" rim may not be ideal for a 265 front tire; it may be better to have a 9.5" or 10" rim.

Btw, I will most likely be selling these CCW's (after stripping them and repowdercoating them in satin black), and at least one if not both of my silver GT3 wheel sets. This will easily give me enough to buy a set of superlight Champion RS-98's, or some also very light E88 BBS Motorsport wheels, or just go for the gold and lightweight king: Dymags! I hear that 4 Dymags make for nice art pieces in your home and office!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Yup, they are the C-14 and yes they are powdercoated in blue. The center caps I modified by hand and they are simply held in with RTV blue silicon. I made them to fit tight, but you still need to add the silicone on the inside so they don't jar loose. With the silicon you can easily remove them when needed (generally only when you mount and balance tires), and then quickly silicone them back in. I don't change tires that often (since I don't get to track my car but maybe 3 or 4 times a year if I am really lucky), so it is not an issue at all.

I am running R888 255's up front with no issues, so I can see that a 265 will work. But again, a 9" rim may not be ideal for a 265 front tire; it may be better to have a 9.5" or 10" rim.

Btw, I will most likely be selling these CCW's (after stripping them and repowdercoating them in satin black), and at least one if not both of my silver GT3 wheel sets. This will easily give me enough to buy a set of superlight Champion RS-98's, or some also very light E88 BBS Motorsport wheels, or just go for the gold and lightweight king: Dymags! I hear that 4 Dymags make for nice art pieces in your home and office!
I have been thinking of powder coating my C14's black too or maybe red to really stick out at the track..ha ha. I need to find a local powder coating place here in Tampa. I do not hear much about Dymags but I do remember someone on rennlist back in late 2006 getting a set but had all sorts of problems with them. Light is good but also is durability and I love my CCW's because they are light but extremely strong and I see them run is races all the time.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Careful with Powder Coating of track wheels... I've read one too many articles / posts about the heat used in some processes having negative impacts on aluminum wheels.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Careful with Powder Coating of track wheels... I've read one too many articles / posts about the heat used in some processes having negative impacts on aluminum wheels.
Yikes! Really? I didn't even think of that. We have a great shop here in Albuquerque that does excellent work; I will have to ask them about this, thank you for the heads up.

Btw, powdercoating does add significant weight to the wheels unfortunately. I verified this statement by John from CCW that powdercoating can add 1/2 lb per wheel. Mine had a coat of blue and then a coat of clear powdercoat added in two stages (the finish is like paint, but super tough). I weighed them before and after, and the powdercoating added about 4/10 of a lb per wheel to the fronts and about 6/10's to the rear!!! 2 lbs total just for silly blue paint is nothing to sneeze at.

Stephen
Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try a google on powder coating. I remember reading some articles where the experts really discouraged the practice. I also remember them saying that some companies that "plan ahead" (like say a BBS) where they make sure the metallurgy is set-up in advance for the heat stresses the wheels will go through. Others suggest paint instead of powder coating as that won't involve the high heat levels.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe some Krylon BBQ paint is what I need....hummm a little back yard project!

Quick Reply: Volk 19x11 vs 19x12 question