Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

More Track Alignment questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Paul just one more Q ( don't believe it) The manual discussing the stock street set up for toe is +6'. They are stating +6 toe "in" and if I go to 0 I am going from a toe-in to neutral, and you are going to a toe-Out position on your set up do I have that right. So by going to 0 I am still not as aggressive. do I understand that correctly.
- yes +6 is toe in, i'm running toe out
- zero toe is fine

- in order to run the specs that i have given you (specifically the front), you have to order a few spacers
- the spacer are listed as 993gt3 part numbers (they do not appear as 997gt3 part numbers in the porsche ordering system - at least they didn't 12 months ago when i ordered mine)
- when you order these needed parts in order to get more front camber, order two 7mm and two 3mm parts
- these 10mm shims per side will basically allow your alignment guy to add -1 degrees to the max -1.7 that the struts in their stock position will allow

paul
Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM
frafoss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For reference, my current setup is listed below (and i drive it on the street with no problem)

Front
- camber -2.8
- toe 1/16th toe-ot

Rear
- camber -2.3
- stock track toe in

Can sombody help me to convert the above cambers to hours and minutes?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:15 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frafoss
Front
- camber -2.8
- toe 1/16th toe-ot

Rear
- camber -2.3
- stock track toe in

-2.8 = -2d48m
-2.3 = -2d18m
Old 07-12-2008, 05:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,399 Likes on 642 Posts

paul I'm with you on the rear camber issue- on the 996 gt3with it's narrower wheels and stance it's better to run a little more camber but on the 997, the car is wider, the rims are wider, the camber doesn't need to be so drastic in the rear- having between 2.4 and 2.8 in the front really helps turn-in a ton over the stock set up, and depending on the track will preserve the tires a bit to run on the higher range of those two numbers.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:44 AM
yss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frafoss
For reference, my current setup is listed below (and i drive it on the street with no problem)

Front
- camber -2.8
- toe 1/16th toe-ot

Rear
- camber -2.3
- stock track toe in

a degree of toe is 7mm approx.

your measurements are in inches. i am in metric land.

FWIW - i run much more toe out than that to get great turn in on a tight circuit. i run almost the same corresponding toe in at the rear. car is very stable nad turn in excellent.

1/16th i think is 1.6mm toe out.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the factory Track set up under the car.we had to put a 7mm shim on the left front to get 2.1 degrees negative camber. they took almost 3 hrs to get it just right. took the car to Putnam park this past weekend, and what a difference, turns in much better and not as snappy, control much better when I tried to rotate the car.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:50 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

One other note.. Porsche aligns at the factory. I've never seen one new or CPO where the alignment was spot on. This is fine for street use, but any car that you take to the track should be aligned - never mind if you want the factory defaults or a track set up.

CPO does not call for an alignment either. Surprise!

I think any car - especially driven on the track should be aligned not less than yearly. Until you have it aligned by a shop that knows what it is doing (and not all do) don't expect it to be correct.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Having my first alignment done this week. They suggest lowering the rear slightly (changing the rake a bit). And swaping the stock links to cup spec.

For those in the know, will the height change & stonger bushings make a noticble difference.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,399 Likes on 642 Posts

I've got solid bushings in the rear and it stops the car from pitching and rolling mid-corner...ride height will affect tire wear (increased) but give you more grip if it's done with a corresponding camber/toe/etc setting.

so am I to understand that you're only dropping the rear and not the front?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rop3
Having my first alignment done this week. They suggest lowering the rear slightly (changing the rake a bit). And swaping the stock links to cup spec.

For those in the know, will the height change & stonger bushings make a noticble difference.
I have not done it yet but a guy who I am consulting with who is talking to a cup team is also recommending, lowering the car, increasing the rear spring rate, softening the Rear sway and stiffening the front sway.

I am going one step at a time but willing to listen and try.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
rop3
Pro

Not sure, I asked if the rake would be the same the shop they said no. So they may be doing something slight with the front/ more in the back. I pick it up Friday I'll find out changing some sway bar settings also. Getting ready for the 1st track event (in this car).

Also installing Shark werk's bypass next week.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I've got solid bushings in the rear and it stops the car from pitching and rolling mid-corner...ride height will affect tire wear (increased) but give you more grip if it's done with a corresponding camber/toe/etc setting.

so am I to understand that you're only dropping the rear and not the front?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Not sure, I asked if the rake would be the same the shop they said no. So they may be doing something slight with the front/ more in the back. I pick it up Friday I'll find out changing some sway bar settings also. Getting ready for the 1st track event (in this car).

Also installing Shark werk's bypass next week.
rop3, I also just received the sharkwerks bypass and am reading over the install sheet as I type. Are you going to do-it-Yourself or have someone do it, either way if you take any pictures of the process would you mind sending me a few in a PM or email thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 PM
rop3
Pro

No problem Frank I'am going to tackle it next week, I did the bumper removal once already when I put the film on the car, that part was easy.

If you can wait till then i'll send some pics.

rop3, I also just received the sharkwerks bypass and am reading over the install sheet as I type. Are you going to do-it-Yourself or have someone do it, either way if you take any pictures of the process would you mind sending me a few in a PM or email thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

No problem Frank I'am going to tackle it next week, I did the bumper removal once already when I put the film on the car, that part was easy.

If you can wait till then i'll send some pics.
That will work out fine next week late will be the soonest and more like two weeks from now. Sunday I am doing an Auto x and its our first time at this venue and its Next to a church, so the organizers are concerned about noise, so I figured i should not go to the bypass for that event, Next week Monday & Tuesday I am excited about doing a two day driving school, (using a provided car) then next weekend taking the family on vacation. Can you believe it, i have waited months to the this bypass, and now that I have it, I have to wait.

As I read Alex's instructions, the bumper removal looks simple and the Left Muffler removal looks to be the most difficult.(show me what you did there) I am going to hit the nuts with WD-40 as recommended, I just hope it all comes apart freely. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That will work out fine next week late will be the soonest and more like two weeks from now. Sunday I am doing an Auto x and its our first time at this venue and its Next to a church, so the organizers are concerned about noise, so I figured i should not go to the bypass for that event,
Frank, I could tell you a nice story about Muffler bypass pipes in Westerville...but the moral is don't do it.

Wife might come pilot the 996 at the AutoX on sunday. Still deciding if I'm gonna bring the M3 out or not.

Andy

Quick Reply: More Track Alignment questions