Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RMS leaking

Add me to the list! Also gaz gage not working well. Oil gage very inconsistent.
Thinking about LWFW. How much of an improvement?

Stephan
Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Where are you located? what is the year and production month of your car? Since you have several gauges that are reading strangely I might also suspect that you have an electrical issue with the gauge cluster. May simple be a loose connector. AS for the RMS, unfortunately that is a real issue. So far my third seal is holding after 150 miles of highway driving in 100 degree heat. Good luck sorry to see anyone else join the club.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
str8ner
Racer

I took possession of the car Nov. 27th 2006. I am located in Northern Va. The car has 11,000 miles. Any advice on repair. Anything special I should request from my dealer?

Stephan
Old 06-12-2008, 10:04 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear it but you are not alone.

plenty of posts on the topic
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...+add+me+to+rms
I am personally going to wait for awhile to fix.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:26 PM
cosmo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frenchman

sorry to hear that as I just got a call from Lutso and I've got the same problem.

Terry
Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey stephen, sounds like you have an early 3... To be safe if you're doing the LWF (great mod btw) then be sure to have whoever is doing the job re-torque the main drive pulley to the current spec. We found the early 3s to be tightened to a different spec for some reason
Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Stephen:

My third seal is still holding (my fingers are crossed) This last one was put on under the direct supervision of a field Tech rep from Porsche (Not sure that really helped as the Tech at the local Porsche dealership is outstanding) That said, make sure your tech has the latest procedure from Porsche. It details an inspection of the instalation tool as well as how to properly lubricate the new seal. On at least one case I know of the leak was caused by improper machining of the two case halves which did not allow the initial seal to seat properly, but since yours is just now becoming a problem after more than a year and siginicant miles I would suspect simply a bad seal.

What do you mean when you say your oil pressure gauge is acting up. The fuel gauge could be electrical as I mentioned before. If your oil gauge is simply going to five bars as you accelerate and stays there at normal cruise, that is not right. The owners manual is very specific on oil pressure reading. I'm still working with the service department on mine. See my thread on oil pressure. In my case I suspect either high oil pressure which could contribute to seal problems or a bad oil pressure sender. The dealer is going to test that out with a calibrated mechanical pressure gauge and he is making an adapter next week to do that. I would also agree with Alex on checking the pully torque when the engine is out just to be safe. Good luck Jack
Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
What do you mean when you say your oil pressure gauge is acting up. The fuel gauge could be electrical as I mentioned before. If your oil gauge is simply going to five bars as you accelerate and stays there at normal cruise, that is not right.
I've heard everyone say this is how their oil gauge works. At 5 at anything but idle.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
str8ner
Racer

Thanks to all of you for your input. The oil gage not working is the one reading the oil level and not the pressure. I never get the same reading?

Thanks again,

Stephan

Quick Reply: RMS leaking