Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Birthday Ideas? Tools for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milwaukee power tools are plenty strong, even the 18v versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Lra...eature=related
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it looks like the 28V Milwaukee is going to win out. The Snap On would be nice, but for the price difference i'm going to pick up the 28V drill also.

As far as torque wrenches, I'm going with Snap On. Anybody had problem with there newer electronic Techwrenches? http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catal...e=snapon-store
Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by CoGT3
Well it looks like the 28V Milwaukee is going to win out. The Snap On would be nice, but for the price difference i'm going to pick up the 28V drill also.

As far as torque wrenches, I'm going with Snap On. Anybody had problem with there newer electronic Techwrenches? http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catal...e=snapon-store
dont get electronic one's. get manual. electronic units will run out of battery when you need to use it the most. TRUST ME. murphy's law always works against you.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for SnapOn I have 1/2" BRUTUS which is perfect, make sure you zero out after use.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a 1/2" SnapOn mechanical click type. My POS Craftsman broke and Sears won't replace Torque Wrenchs so screw them, I'm getting something decent.
Didn't see any need for the electronic....and Mooty makes an excellent point on the battery.

Originally Posted by Christian20
+1 make sure you zero out after use.
Why?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
I just ordered a 1/2" SnapOn mechanical click type. My POS Craftsman broke and Sears won't replace Torque Wrenchs so screw them, I'm getting something decent.
Didn't see any need for the electronic....and Mooty makes an excellent point on the battery.

Why?
my snap on 1/2 tq wrench is now 5 years old, never had a prob. i just had tq chk'd. it's still good.

some tq wrench must be zero'd when you are done using it. else the mechanism will become "used up" not as accurate (i dont understand why it does that, but that's what the manual said). but there are also some that dont have to be zero'd. i get those if possible. my wheel nut tq wrench is never zero'd, i just leave it at the tq i want. but the other tq wrenches i use on the car must be zero'd. this is not an indicator of the quality of the tq wrenches, all of my tq wrenches are snap on's. i think it's based on design that dictates if it needs to be zero'd or not.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:28 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
my snap on 1/2 tq wrench is now 5 years old, never had a prob. i just had tq chk'd. it's still good.

some tq wrench must be zero'd when you are done using it. else the mechanism will become "used up" not as accurate (i dont understand why it does that, but that's what the manual said). but there are also some that dont have to be zero'd. i get those if possible. my wheel nut tq wrench is never zero'd, i just leave it at the tq i want. but the other tq wrenches i use on the car must be zero'd. this is not an indicator of the quality of the tq wrenches, all of my tq wrenches are snap on's. i think it's based on design that dictates if it needs to be zero'd or not.
Thanks, I guess I'll read the manual for once when it comes in....
Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I appreciate everybody's input!

A couple of quick questions:

1) If you could only have one torque to start with, 1/2 or 3/8 drive?

2) For doing the simple things I mentioned, do really need an impact wrench with monster torque breaking ability? Or would something in the 200 ft/lbs range work?

Matt
Without specifics, 1/2, especially for wheel and suspension work. My 3/8 does not get used much.

Quick Reply: Birthday Ideas? Tools for a newbie