Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts
Default Porsche's U.S. Chief Says Fuel-Economy Rules Are `Not Fair'

Porsche's U.S. Chief Says Fuel-Economy Rules Are `Not Fair'

By Greg Bensinger and Mike Ramsey

May 28 (Bloomberg) -- Porsche SE may not be able to meet new U.S. fuel-economy rules, which are ``not fair'' to makers of performance-oriented autos, the company's U.S. chief said.

The German automaker's cars would have to average 41.3 miles per gallon by 2015 models, under preliminary regulations released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Porsche's average was 26 mpg last year, and it paid $4.6 million in fines for falling short of current federal standards.

``The year 2015 in the car market is like tomorrow morning,'' Detlev von Platen, chief executive officer of Atlanta- based Porsche Cars North America, told reporters today in New York. ``We have to find a compromise, these rules are not fair.''

Porsche is working to improve its average fuel economy as regulators push for higher mileage and lower emissions of pollutants, and as U.S. average gasoline prices rise to record highs of almost $4 a gallon. The new U.S. standards may almost double fines for not complying.

The Stuttgart, Germany-based company's U.S. sales fell 14 percent this year through April, to 9,640 cars and sport- utility vehicles. The industrywide total declined 7.7 percent.
This was on Bloomberg today.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...T5A&refer=home

I though that they were fixing the average by buying into Volkswagen?

41MPG for a Porsche is not going to happen and already they are getting fined, so prices are going up to cover the fines?

Anyone know more about this?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I understand its a big deal for high performance small cars because the rates are set by cubic space. The smaller the space the higher the mileage has to be. Stupidly, the bigger the space the less stringent. So....high performance small cars get killed even if I get 26 mpg right now in my 997S. This legislation has not passed fully yet but is what is being considered.

Quick Reply: Porsche's U.S. Chief Says Fuel-Economy Rules Are `Not Fair'