Passing Laguna sound check 92 dB with third muffler by-pass

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Passing Laguna sound check 92 dB with third muffler by-pass

I have a day at Laguna coming up and I have the third (3rd) muffler by-pass (bypass?) (Sharkwerks) on the car. I'm wondering if anyone has put on Supertrapps or something (presumably just bolting on instead of the tips) to pass sound. I'm thinking it's probably a huge hassle and will require at least one external muffler plus the trapps (and easier to just re-install the 3rd muff.) I hate muff diving. Even on a GT3.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

Just short shift to 4th and cruise up the hill between 5 and 6 past the sound meter - saves a lot of exhaust work and the rest of the lap is still a blast.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peloton
Just short shift to 4th and cruise up the hill between 5 and 6 past the sound meter - saves a lot of exhaust work and the rest of the lap is still a blast.
I don't think a short shift will help enough and with the by-pass, the car is loud enough that they'll meatball it because it will be obvious I'm running quietly past the check. I'm think that will trapps and lifting, I should sneak through assuming no clouds.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't think a short shift will help enough and with the by-pass, the car is loud enough that they'll meatball it because it will be obvious I'm running quietly past the check. I'm think that will trapps and lifting, I should sneak through assuming no clouds.
I ran my CGT at LS on 4/15. No way the CGT passes sound. But I cruised up the hill past sound and they let me have WOT fun around the rest of the track the whole day. Of course, I got on it up the hill during the last session...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I ran my CGT at LS on 4/15. No way the CGT passes sound. But I cruised up the hill past sound and they let me have WOT fun around the rest of the track the whole day. Of course, I got on it up the hill during the last session...
Right. I've seen a few CGTs enjoying Laguna and they seem happy to allow it's screaming pitch to go by, but for sure it wraps the sound meter needle around the full scale deflection stop if someone takes the CGT up the hill at full song. I'm hoping that if I can get the exhaust pressure spread out with traps and maybe a bracket to hold a pair of short straight-thru mufflers, it will be adequate. Having to keep the sport switch off, short-shifting -- it's just tedious and I'm hoping someone with the appropriate resources has done the trial and error work to solve the problem. On the other hand, I should say that 5 is one place on Laguna where you're going fast enough to get yourself into a real mess (roll) if you over-cook it so I'm always a cautious there even in the 993 Turbo which is as quiet as a mouse. I might just run the 993 at this next day if I can't get the GT3 quietened down.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This technique works ok for passing sound restrictions, but you can catch up on your text messaging and get passed by a dozen cars a lap between turns 5 and 6. Kind of a big hassle for you, and a real annoyance for the other cars in your run group.

I am looking to wire in a switch that will keep all three mufflers working, which can be activated between turns 4 and 5, then turning the mufflers off to the regular or sport setting after going through turn 6. Evidently someone at Carlsen knows how to do it, and I am working on having it done where I live (Reno).

Last edited by lawjdc; 05-23-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey carrera gt, I think we're seeing you monday, right? If so let's try an experiment with the tips as "bait"
Old 05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
hey carrera gt, I think we're seeing you monday, right? If so let's try an experiment with the tips as "bait"
I'll be there.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'll be there.
With the larger too
Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

FYI fellas...
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...nd-buster.html
Old 09-22-2014, 09:23 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts

Did anyone ever build a mount to put an additional external muffler on a GT3 - mount from the tow hook thread?

Worried running this exhaust valve plug will heat up my engine exhaust valves

Also - anyone else do the switch mod from here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...ger-tip-2.html
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,917 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Saved the best lap for last and got meatballed, eh?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Did anyone ever build a mount to put an additional external muffler on a GT3 - mount from the tow hook thread? Worried running this exhaust valve plug will heat up my engine exhaust valves Also - anyone else do the switch mod from here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...ger-tip-2.html
But the carnewal remote valve switch and you can control the valves easily. Run it open til U get close to the sound meter and hit the switch and immediately close the valve
Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I passed 90db with Carnewal switch and stock exhaust- sure it robbed a bit of power, but I ran as hard as I could.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and i thought cgt ditched the 991 and started tracking again....lol

Quick Reply: Passing Laguna sound check 92 dB with third muffler by-pass