Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brembo GT Brake Kit for GT#/RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
dagor6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The monoblocs will make a big change, eliminating the flex usually improves feel by a lot.

I don't think that the calipers are considered unsprung. Maybe they are, not sure.

In any case, moving to monoblocs and dropping all that weight should make a big difference.

My advice, talk to a racing company, and decide if you want race brakes or not. There's a big difference.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

how does this compare to the PCCBs?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:42 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dagor6
The monoblocs will make a big change, eliminating the flex usually improves feel by a lot.

I don't think that the calipers are considered unsprung. Maybe they are, not sure.

In any case, moving to monoblocs and dropping all that weight should make a big difference.

My advice, talk to a racing company, and decide if you want race brakes or not. There's a big difference.
Don't we have monobloc calipers stock?

I think the calipers are unsprung, but they are certainly not ROTATING unsprung mass like the wheels and rotors.

If you want race brakes or not??? Do you mean race pads or race brakes? I will stick with the stock pads that come withe the kit at first. I heard that they are an aggresive street pad that can also be used on the track. Buuuuuuuut, in my opinion, I would prefer to have a set of pads for street use and another strictly for track use. Any time that you use something that is supposed to work for both street and track, then you will make sompromises for both situations. Just like all season tires are really not a good idea. If you have a performance car that you drive year round (as long as you are not too far north), it is much better to have a dedicated set of summer tires and winter tires. A true snow tire is far supirior to the best all season tires. In Europe it is much more common to have dedicated winter tires, but then again they take driving much more seriously than the average American.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
how does this compare to the PCCBs?
The PCCB's are lighter yet adn provide about the same stopping power. I was told though that these GT's have less fade, and of course they are much cheaper to replace than the PCCB's.

The rotors on these GT's are also cheaper to replace than the stock rotors on our GT3's. Naturally you reuse the aluminum hats and only need to replace the actually rotor. They are about $400.00 per rotor to replace. Could someone verify that this is indeed cheaper than replacing the standard GT3 rotors?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

The rotors spin which means they generate rotational mass. Most people multiply the weight by 4 for a casual measure.

So the actual weight savings would be more in line with 128 pounds once you're moving at a fair clip.
I want my money back on my Physics degree..... I never heard that one before!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM
dagor6
Advanced

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Don't we have monobloc calipers stock?

I think the calipers are unsprung, but they are certainly not ROTATING unsprung mass like the wheels and rotors.

If you want race brakes or not??? Do you mean race pads or race brakes? I will stick with the stock pads that come withe the kit at first. I heard that they are an aggresive street pad that can also be used on the track. Buuuuuuuut, in my opinion, I would prefer to have a set of pads for street use and another strictly for track use. Any time that you use something that is supposed to work for both street and track, then you will make sompromises for both situations. Just like all season tires are really not a good idea. If you have a performance car that you drive year round (as long as you are not too far north), it is much better to have a dedicated set of summer tires and winter tires. A true snow tire is far supirior to the best all season tires. In Europe it is much more common to have dedicated winter tires, but then again they take driving much more seriously than the average American.
Usually the difference is warm up time and resistance to fade on pads. On braking systems in general they make pure race systems that are usually pretty nice. But iirc, you usually have to remove ABS.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 PM
dagor6
Advanced

If you think I'm wrong I'm all ears, I'm not speaking as a physicist, just someone who's heard a thing or two and might well be completely wrong.

What we will say is that rotating mass has an increased effect on acceleration as compared to an equal reduction in static weight. In other words, the benefit to acceleration by a reduction in rotating mass rather compared to an equal reduction in static mass is that the effect of the rotating mass is multiplied. Various studies published in automotive chassis tuning guides have shown that a given amount of mass reduction that rotates at crankshaft speed is typically equal to 15 times that amount of static weight reduction. This effect is proportional to crankshaft speed. If you reduce the rotating mass of something that turns at 50% of crankshaft speed then the equivalent static weight reduction is 15 x .5 = 7.5 times that of a static weight reduction of the same amount.
http://snowmobile.off-road.com/snowm....jsp?id=195881
Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Yes the rotating mass has an effect on acceleration due to the rotational inertia, which is related to the rotating oblects mass and weight distribution.
I understand what you mean as the equvalent affect on acceleration compared to just extra weigh in the car, which is cool to know.
The rotors don't get any heavier the faster they go. (Unless we are at sub-speed of light type speeds! )
Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Yes the rotating mass has an effect on acceleration due to the rotational inertia, which is related to the rotating oblects mass and weight distribution.
I understand what you mean as the equvalent affect on acceleration compared to just extra weigh in the car, which is cool to know.
The rotors don't get any heavier the faster they go. (Unless we are at sub-speed of light type speeds! )

Reducing mass on a car is pretty much always a good thing, and it doesn't just affect straight line performance; it also decreases your stopping distances and has many effects on the handling of the car depending on where the mass is being reduced. Ask Mr. Colin Chapman, he knows quite a bit on the subject.

But anyway, you hit the nail on the head; it is the equivalent affect on acceleration compared to removing 4 times that amount somewhere on the car that is being supported by the suspension.

But I also believe that if you are going to reduce the unsprung mass significantly, and also the sprung portion, that you probably need to reengineer your suspension set-up/settings also to work properly with these significant changes in mass. The same would be true if you had to make special provisions for the car to allow an 800 lb man to be able to drive it safely.

I think this is always an issue when you alter the stock components on a car. A few minor changes are fine, but when you get serious and remove 70 lbs of unsprung mass and 300 lbs of sprung mass, then you need to look at the damper settings, spring rates, and even ride height. And it needs to be reengineered by someone who really knows what they are doing.

Check out the spring rates on a Lotus Elise sometime and compare them to those on your GT3; be prepared to be stunned by the huge differences because of the extremely light weight of the Lotus. I can't ever write a post anymore without bringing up Lotus; you would think I still have a thing for those cars. I don't think my 3 has figured it out yet, but seems to be suspicious lately!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 PM
dagor6
Advanced

I think this is always an issue when you alter the stock components on a car. A few minor changes are fine, but when you get serious and remove 70 lbs of unsprung mass and 300 lbs of sprung mass, then you need to look at the damper settings, spring rates, and even ride height. And it needs to be reengineered by someone who really knows what they are doing.
I don't think it's that bad. Just take a little spring out. All these track guys have to make the same type of modifications when they throw slicks on to compensate for the increased grip.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 PM
dagor6
Advanced

Back to physics, I thought weight was a force that was mass times acceleration? At rest acceleration being gravity, but while spinning it was actual acceleration? Am I confused on that??

been awhile since college....

edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_weight

Check out: Objects accelerating in an aribtrary direction

What do you think?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

In my case some 30 plus years. I have the Father Guido Sarducchi Physics Degree. (Basically I remember only E=MC squared and F = MA.)
Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Yes changing track or going to slicks does change what your springs and dampers are going to be dealing with.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Yes changing track or going to slicks does change what your springs and dampers are going to be dealing with.
I wanna know what you're doing on the GT3 board. You're not thinking what I'm thinking, right?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Hell no!

Quick Reply: Brembo GT Brake Kit for GT#/RS