Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

'09 RS & GT3 - similar gearbox revisions as the '09 RSR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default '09 RS & GT3 - similar gearbox revisions as the '09 RSR?

I know that the RSR doesn't use a convential 6 speed, but will the changes to the size, weight and mounting of the new RSR's gearbox be incorporated into the '09 GT3 and RS? This change seemed to help significantly in the balance and performance of the new RSR. It would interesting to see if they were able to incorporate the learning they got from the Spyder program into the RS in addition to the RSR.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I think we discussed it at length in the "new RS spy shots" thread or something like that...but in short

porsche's use of sequential type transmissions and Direct Injection in the RSR and RS spyder and their confidence in such technology is why we're seeing the release of them on street cars...starting with the 997...who knows when exactly they're going to have the next-gen RS come around...I think it will be as a MY 2010- so...the last quarter or so of 2009.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
ECS
Pro

I'll try to be a bit more clear. I am not talking about the use of a sequential box. I am wondering if the advances made to this RSR are applicable to a 6 speed gate shifter in some way. The RSRs have had sequential for a few years now. However, on the '08 RSR they were able to make adjustment to the placement and weight of the gearbox that helped significantly in balance and weight savings. Wondering if these changes were also applicable to a gate shifter.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

First off there won't be an '09 GT3/RS...as for placement maybe, weight: highly doubtful simply because of reliability and maitenance...

I would expect the re-worked suspension geometry to work its way into the '10 RS...

If recent history is any indication (which it isn't) the new GT3 will have the current RS' suspension geometry and the new RS will have the "newly re-worked" RSR suspension geometry...this is just a guess.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
First off there won't be an '09 GT3/RS...as for placement maybe, weight: highly doubtful simply because of reliability and maitenance...

I would expect the re-worked suspension geometry to work its way into the '10 RS...

If recent history is any indication (which it isn't) the new GT3 will have the current RS' suspension geometry and the new RS will have the "newly re-worked" RSR suspension geometry...this is just a guess.
+1
porsche has no need to dually upgrade both the regular GT3 and RS...

the issue in the past with the PDK box has been that it's too large, so in order for it to fit in the 911 they've definitely had to move it forward. As far as the standard 6 speed...they're pretty small and stout as it is and there's not much to gain from reworking how it works other than just gearing ratios.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 PM
ECS
Pro

Got it. Informative comments both.
E.

Quick Reply: '09 RS & GT3 - similar gearbox revisions as the '09 RSR?