Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 AM
tocho1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from Evo mag - Porsche 911

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/22...rsche_911.html

Porsche 911
Documents detailing the re-jigged Porsche 911 have made their way onto the web

In typical Porsche (and, to be honest, German) facelift style, the mods are quite minor. It affects all 997’s except the still-fresh GT2, GT3 and Turbo.

The big news is the optional seven-speed dual clutch gearbox, with obligatory paddles fitted to the steering wheel. It goes by the name of Porsche Double Clutch (PDK). A limited slip diff is fitted on AWD models and there are some enhancements to the stability management programme (PSM).

In the engine bay, the news is all good: the Carrera’s 3.6-litre leaps from 321 to 340bhp while the 3.8-litre in the Carrera S is upped from 350 to 380bhp. Torque wise, the figures are 288 and 310lb ft respectively – a rise of 15lb ft apiece. Despite Porsche’s protesting of carbon-based taxing, expect emissions to be down and fuel consumption to improve a tad, too.

So what of the looks? If you aren’t a fan of Porsche’s designers, then mock away. There are several small tweaks – restyled bumpers, bigger mirrors, new LED lights at the back and the addition of daytime running lights at the front. Audi R8, anyone? There’s a handful of new colours too, including a nice cream white and Porsche racing green. Otherwise, it’s business as usual – anyone who isn’t a car buff won’t know the difference.

Inside, the centre console is finished in black and has lost a few buttons and switches in the process, to give it a cleaner look. It has gained one, though: there’s a new ‘Sport Plus’ button, fitted alongside Launch Control and race-track gearshift strategy if you opt for the sports chrono pack as well as the new gearbox. The sat-nav gets a hard drive to keep it in line with more advanced systems.

Sales are set to start late in the summer as the 997 lives out the second half of its life in preparation for the all-new 991 incarnation at the beginning of the next decade.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

What is "Porsche racing green"? Is that the green on the current RS's?

2nd Edit:
I dig the line at the tail lights...

Last edited by ///Mous3; 05-01-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

anyone got pix of 997, not turbo and not GT3, just plain 997 or 997S?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:12 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Old 05-01-2008, 05:07 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
I think he meant the next gen 997
Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
I think he meant the next gen 997
Yes, and that is what made it funny; in an immature kind of way!

I like the changes since they didn't do much; just the way I like it. They did not mess up a good thing, but they had to do something; the industry expects it. The hp increase and better fuel mileage are always a nice bonus for a sports car nut. The new tranny is much better than the old 5 speed Tiptronic, so that is a very good thing. Some have complained about that tranny, have you driven an A3 loaner car with a DSG in it yet? Wow! It is not better than the good old fashioned manual tranny, but unlike the SMG type trannies (such as from BMW) it actually works and kicks them back a few decades. It is certainly better than the tried and proven and boooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring torque-converting traditional automtaic transmission (even if it has those fake F1 shift levers).

So for those of you who don't like this new dual clutch tranny because you are purists (I'm with ya btw), just keep in mind that it is better than the current alternatives that Porsche has to offer.

Quick Reply: from Evo mag - Porsche 911