Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

18" Toyo R888's have transformed the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I had the experience and skill to articulate my thoughts on this car with the same tire/wheel set-up. As I have mentioned before, I just don't have the access to tracks as I would like to have, but I do have some very nice mountain roads that allow for me to push this car more than I should. With that said, I am extremely happy with my 18 inch R888's with the 255/35 front and 315/30 rear. The car is nicely balanced with this combination and I am very comfortable driving it fast. I would definetely recommend this set-up and I will probably be "sticking" with these tires for some time. My next tire upgrade will be a dedicated track tire, the Hoosier R6's, but not until I know what I am doing with my current set-up. At that time I will probably go with the R6's in the 18" size, and switch to the Toyo's in the standard 19" sizes on my stock wheels. What is really cool is that they make both the Toyo and R6 in the 19" sizes for our cars and of course the 18's! I'm so glad I have the CCW C-14's in 18" size; I have all the wheel/tire combo options in the world now!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Too bad I have PCCBs great report.
OG,

We already told you that there are a few 18" wheels out there that will work with your PCCB's including the CCW's. Besides, you can get the Toyo's and R6 in 19" sizes for your stock wheels.

If you don't like your PCCB's, I would be willing to take them off your hands if I have to. I have a nice set of GT3 reds that I am willing to trade you!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:28 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are experiencing a snap oversteer condition, you may wish to check your rear sway bar setting. Although there has been considerable debate over the issue on this forum, it does help to go from full stiff on the rear bar to the next hole. This will reduce your oversteer substantially. The trade-off, quite naturally, is that the car will not turn in as well. For some drivers this is not a problem. For many drivers, including almost all of the RS drivers, this would be a problem. Since the RS has a significantly wider rear track, and apparently does not turn in as well as the GT3, it probably needs the rear bar on its stiffest setting. For me, moving the rear bar one step softer gave my non-RS GT3 a much more balanced feel. You may wish to give it a try.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback, I really appreciate it! It's going to take some time to absorb what's been written here and to make decisions on whether to try new parts (toe link, LSD, etc.) or to adjust the current setup (rear bar). I have a Mosport day on the 19th so will probably wait until I've had the chance to run at the big track and then make adjustments from there. I'm also ordering a Traqmate which will make measuring changes much easier.

The other debate I keep having with myself is whether I should get a beater 996 and turn it into a track car and leave the GT3 for the safer tracks and street use. It's a lot of money to walk away from and as this weekend demonstrated, spins do happen.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 AM
kw_1055
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sizes are your 18" wheels and what offsets do you run?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rear Sway Bar

Interesting comment on the rear sway bar. I may be in the minority - but I've been running the rear sway on full soft. I also have the front bar set to one from full firm (second hole). Essentially, this is almost the exact opposite factory set-up. I get great traction and corner exit - also, no fear of an unexpected oversteer.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Chris: The squirming could be toe links or it could be tires. The toe links I installed were from The Racers Group (TRG), but I am sure that the GMG parts are comparable. Basically, the toe links provide a spherical joint instead of a squishy rubber joint, in order to keep your rear suspension geometry stable under high g loads with sticky tires under track conditions.

http://www.theracersgroup.com/shop/trgracing.php
Unfortunately I think it's an attribute of the tire at full tread (at least with the setup I have). I ran 2-3 set of the r888s last year. And every time on full tread had the same issue under braking...which slowely disappearewd as the tire wore down. I was hoping new toe links with solid bushing would help, so installed a set of the TRGs this winter. Ran a new set of R888s a few weeks ago and problem was still apparent. There are some out there which haven't felt this issue, so either they aren't driving fast enough, or they've somehow got their suspension setup to accommodate for it. Even with this one issue, still loved the tire. However, did just solve the problem by buying a trailer and switching to Hoosiers
Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I have a Mosport day on the 19th so will probably wait until I've had the chance to run at the big track and then make adjustments from there.
I'll see you there - i'm going tomorrow but will also be there on the 19th.
As you know, Mosport isn't exactly the track to figure out how the car handles in the slower stuff, but if you have high speed braking instability which I had last year it will show up for sure.

Maybe we can drive up together?
I'm coming from midtown toronto so let me know if that works for you.
If I get on the road for 6:45 I arrive there for 8 after stopping for gas and some Tim Hortons after the exit off the 401.

Paul
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback, I really appreciate it! It's going to take some time to absorb what's been written here and to make decisions on whether to try new parts (toe link, LSD, etc.) or to adjust the current setup (rear bar). I have a Mosport day on the 19th so will probably wait until I've had the chance to run at the big track and then make adjustments from there. I'm also ordering a Traqmate which will make measuring changes much easier.

The other debate I keep having with myself is whether I should get a beater 996 and turn it into a track car and leave the GT3 for the safer tracks and street use. It's a lot of money to walk away from and as this weekend demonstrated, spins do happen.

Traqmate
Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I'll see you there - i'm going tomorrow but will also be there on the 19th.
As you know, Mosport isn't exactly the track to figure out how the car handles in the slower stuff, but if you have high speed braking instability which I had last year it will show up for sure.

Maybe we can drive up together?
I'm coming from midtown toronto so let me know if that works for you.
If I get on the road for 6:45 I arrive there for 8 after stopping for gas and some Tim Hortons after the exit off the 401.

Paul
Thanks Paul, it would be great to drive up together. If I may also ask, I'd really appreciate going as passenger for a few laps in your car so I can learn the track and the lines.

While the smaller club tracks like Dunnville and TMP are fun to push myself and the car, I have a very healthy dose of respect for Mosport and don't intend on being anywhere near the limit of the car on that track anytime soon.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Paul, it would be great to drive up together. If I may also ask, I'd really appreciate going as passenger for a few laps in your car so I can learn the track and the lines.

While the smaller club tracks like Dunnville and TMP are fun to push myself and the car, I have a very healthy dose of respect for Mosport and don't intend on being anywhere near the limit of the car on that track anytime soon.
No problem
email me at mail dot oneil at gmail dot com and we will work it out
the track still scares me after 15 trips
the faster you go the scarier turn #4 is - no video i have ever seen does it justice - not even close
turn #2 takes a little getting use to (downhill negative camber and fast)
you won't believe it once you see it but turn#4 is basically flat in 5th in a cup car
everytime i crest the blind hill i basically pray to god nothing goes wrong
the track is easy to learn the line so don't worry you will be up to speed very quickly - it is just that without a full cage, money to burn and a onsite medical staff there is just no way you can / should get close to the limit in #2 or #4 as it will end very, very badly (just remember, you are not allowed to lift in these corners)

paul
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
scss98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did your 888 spin on the wheel and knock the balance out? I hear some guys having problems with that
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by scss98
did your 888 spin on the wheel and knock the balance out? I hear some guys having problems with that
When I spun, I flat-spotted the rear tires so it would be tough to tell if the tires went out of balance. I can say that the tires sounded like truck tires when I drove home! They were very quiet on the way down, but roared on the way back. They were so bad that I thought I had wheel bearing failures; with the MPSC's back on, the car is quiet.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sasportas
Interesting comment on the rear sway bar. I may be in the minority - but I've been running the rear sway on full soft. I also have the front bar set to one from full firm (second hole). Essentially, this is almost the exact opposite factory set-up. I get great traction and corner exit - also, no fear of an unexpected oversteer.
Heresy! Absolute heresy!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
wow very different from my exp.
i am full stiff rear, one from soft front. i have mild push.

Quick Reply: 18" Toyo R888's have transformed the car