TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine chatters a bit in reverse, too.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:04 PM
gt3lbn
Advanced

i'm a newbie to the GT3.. recently upgraded from a 4S. mine chatters in reverse.. good to know thats normal!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an ATS/Across carbon clutch on my 340 hp turbo Elise. This clutch was noisiest when the car was standing still in neutral with the clutch released. It was at least twice as noisy as my RS clutch, but much quiter than some of those other hard core race clutches that the kids put in their 750 hp STi's.

My stock Elise clutch had a single mass fly wheel I believe and it was quiet just like the GT3 dual mass.

Anyway, the chatter and juddering that you experience when driving the car is the same that I had with this race clutch. And just how you described that it is the worst in stop and go traffic, is exactly how my carbon race clutch behaved.

This was a top notch clutch and I believe they advertised it as working well cold or hot (after some heavy use), and that is what I found. But summer bumper to bumper traffic it did not like at all. One time it was so bad that I thought my clutch was gone and needed to be replaced. Which I could not believe since I was very good to it (no drop clutch starts, ever). As soon as traffic cleared and I got to drive, it was fine again.

I hope this helped.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:48 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine chatters (shakes) in 1st and reverse. It's been so almost since the beginning, but I am getting worried that something's wrong. Being the paramount wear item, I guess that warranty replacement is out of question ?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:05 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Ditto for the chatter in 1st and reverse in my 997S. I've also got an annoying vibration in the clutch pedal and I rode with factory rep last week, who said the chatter/judder and vibration were normal. I disagree. Maybe it's time Porsche ditched the dual mass flywheel.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

Are you sure it's a flywheel issue ?
Does your car do it systematically, or only under certain conditions ?
If the dual mass flywheel was a factor, I guess it would not change behaviour from cold to hot to very hot ?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:05 PM
wbgordon
Racer

No, I'm not certain it's a flywheel issue. I'm more annoyed by the vibration in the pedal than the chatter, which doesn't happen if I'm more aggressive with the gas pedal. The dealer replaced the throwout bearing, which diminished the vibration but did not eliminate it. Not certain if it's better or worse warmed up. My vibration issue started not long after I allowed my neighbor to drive the car. When he returned from a short drive, I could smell what appeared to be a scorched clutch plate. Nevertheless, I find it disappointing that so many Porsche drivers have clutch issues.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
gtdrei
Pro

My 996 GT3 chattered and stunk when I reversed, especially up hill ( I have a steep driveway), but only in reverse. I had the RS flywheel and the 3.8 RSR clutch, (available from Motorsports)

Robin
Old 07-15-2008, 06:28 PM
bryanMTL
Advanced

Lots of chatter for me in reverse. Does it pretty consistently.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
wbgordon
Racer

The factory rep I drove with the other day says that's normal; says the clutch assembly admittedly has deficiencies in the factory's endeavor to reconcile performance with everyday driving.

I say CRAP.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Ditto. Whenever there are shortcomings in reliability or quality, there goes the racebred excuse.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Sorry guys, I gotta side with Porsche on this one... I've had ridiculous race clutches in previous racecars including puck clutches, multi-plate units, etc. and none has delivered the positive engagement with decent street drivability that the stock GT3 clutch does.

If you watched my vids from the track events, it's amazing how positive and precise the clutch engagement is on the track. A bit of clutch chatter is a reasonable trade-off for that performance, especially if you compare it to the on-off clutches I've used in the past, that gave similar on-track performance.

A fellow over on 6speed had clutch chatter and has his car apart for the RMS. The techs found the clutch disc to be fine, but did see some hot spots on the flywheel so that may be what's causing it. Again, I'm not going to worry about it because the car is a dream on-track and the chatter goes away once I get out of the city.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Same on mine. Just had the RMS done and there were a few hotspots on the fly wheel that *could* explain the chatter.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Again, I refer to the comments of the factory rep, who said that chatter in the lower gears at low speeds is the result of the clutch being intentionally set up with less grip to enable longer wear. If not, he said, we'd all be replacing ours every 10k. I should point out that mine is a 997S, not a GT2 or GT3, which I assume have heavier-duty clutches.

Last edited by wbgordon; 07-18-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

Mine chatters in reverse too. I was thinking that I had dicked it up at the track....maybe, maybe not.

Quick Reply: Clutch chatter?