Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Seeking advice: track set of 19 inch rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008 | 08:25 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Default Seeking advice: track set of 19 inch rims and tires

Hi Folks,

Ran into a fellow Rennlister at ButtonWillow track this last weekend. His performance versus my car with better tires was amazing. It didnt help that I had cords showing on my drivers side rear tire (inside edge), even though I had plenty of meat elsewhere on the tire. My MPSC just felt greasy and I had no where near his grip.

So...........

I am looking to get a dedicated set of rims and tires for track events as the MPSC's just get heat cycled too often as my sometimes daily driver for effective performance at the track.

All the threads I have looked at so far seem to focus on dropping to 18 inch wheels and going with something like a Hoosier tire.

I cannot go with 18 inch rims right since I have PCCB's? So, can anyone recommend 19 inch rims and tires that would work with my pccbs?

Thanks,
Greg

ps. Simon thanks for the laps this weekend
Old 04-13-2008 | 08:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh wow, I was thinking 18" rims too but I have PCCBs too. Are there any 18" rims that fit the PCCBs?
Greg let me know wha you find out.
How did the brake job go. What was the labor?

Remember next time you and i do the brakes together!
Old 04-13-2008 | 08:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

fikse 18" will clear your pccb no prob.

if you insist on 19", HRE got some nice wheels. talk to alex at sharkwerks, see my signature.

do not run hoosiers just yet. good tires do not make you faster, you have to make the tires faster. i have found over 1/2 of the ppl i met on track are wasting the hoosier away. run some R888, they are faster than mpsc. once you extracted all you can from R888 then try R6.
Old 04-13-2008 | 08:46 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

I looked at Volk T37 in 19" (tire rack) before dropping to 18s (CCW C10s) to spend less on a bigger selection of R compounds.

They are light, supposedly strong, and not as expensive as HRE for track use.
Old 04-13-2008 | 09:22 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hoosier R6's now come in Porsche friendly 19" sizes
Old 04-13-2008 | 10:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

you have to see the Champion RG5's ... they are awesome, and very light

I will post pictures
Old 04-13-2008 | 10:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I second mooty's call on tire choices...until you're as fast as the street tires will allow you to be, you're just wasting money on slicks. MSPC is extremely pressure and temp sensitive, and since you're wearing them out quick- my first question is what are your alignment specs, and second is what are your cold temps for the track?

I'm testing the absolute limit of the MSPC before I move on to a new tire- mainly because I've got another pair waiting in the wings. R888 seems like the next step. by the time I'm actually fast on those, I'll probably be jonesing for a cup car anyway. There are a few guys running R6 at my track (not gonna name names but there aren't many 997gt3 in my hood) and they're slower than me with my stock tires. Theoretically, going from MSPC to R6 should be worth at least a few seconds per lap- (somewhere between 1-3 seconds per mile depending on the layout, right?)

I personally like BBS wheels the best for looks, HRE second. some of the champions look cool but I've got no experience personally with them.
Old 04-14-2008 | 01:17 AM
340Elise
Banned

I think the CCW C-14 and C-10 18's will fit the PCCB's.

I don't really have a track to go to based on my location; at least not on a regular, convenient basis, but I still run 18's and went with the R888's because of the price and I have heard good things about them for almost 3 years now (took a while for the land of the free and brave to be allowed to buy these tires). I went with the 255/35/18 and 315/30/18 sizes.

I use my GT3 as a daily driver with this combo and so far I am very happy with them. I do have some excellent curvy mountain roads that begin just 10 minutes from my house, so I get to enjoy some very spirited drives on a fairly regular basis. I can't give you ultimate grip feedback on these tires, but I can tell you that I prefer them over my 19" Corsa's for the twisties, but they are noisier for regular highway crusiing (which does not bother me one bit coming from an Exige S).

When I get to the track next month (I'm praying that I get a weekend off) I will give more feedback then. But so far so good on R888's!
Old 04-14-2008 | 03:37 AM
yss
Advanced

CCW C10 will clear PCCB if you check with them
Old 04-14-2008 | 04:06 AM
TripleM
Racer

TE37 19 is great...
Almost half the price of HRE C series

And this set up does not require rea spacer anymore.
Old 04-14-2008 | 09:53 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TripleM
TE37 19 is great...
Almost half the price of HRE C series

And this set up does not require rea spacer anymore.
Unless you have an RS
Old 04-14-2008 | 10:31 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Oh wow, I was thinking 18" rims too but I have PCCBs too. Are there any 18" rims that fit the PCCBs?
Greg let me know wha you find out.
How did the brake job go. What was the labor?

Remember next time you and i do the brakes together!
I did not know 18 inch rims would work, but since they would, I will be exploring that.

I can fax you the invoice PM a fax number.

Ill bring the beer next time. Should be a blast.
Old 04-14-2008 | 10:33 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
fikse 18" will clear your pccb no prob.

if you insist on 19", HRE got some nice wheels. talk to alex at sharkwerks, see my signature.

do not run hoosiers just yet. good tires do not make you faster, you have to make the tires faster. i have found over 1/2 of the ppl i met on track are wasting the hoosier away. run some R888, they are faster than mpsc. once you extracted all you can from R888 then try R6.
I am looking at those rims now. I will call Alex at the end of this week. Work is kicking my *** right now. Thanks for the response on that.

I actually do not care too much which tire I get since I am mostly doing this to take heat cycles out of my tyres.

Do you agree that heat cycling a tire on the street kills its track performance?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-14-2008 | 10:33 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you have to see the Champion RG5's ... they are awesome, and very light

I will post pictures
Please do
Old 04-14-2008 | 10:37 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I second mooty's call on tire choices...until you're as fast as the street tires will allow you to be, you're just wasting money on slicks. MSPC is extremely pressure and temp sensitive, and since you're wearing them out quick- my first question is what are your alignment specs, and second is what are your cold temps for the track?

I'm testing the absolute limit of the MSPC before I move on to a new tire- mainly because I've got another pair waiting in the wings. R888 seems like the next step. by the time I'm actually fast on those, I'll probably be jonesing for a cup car anyway. There are a few guys running R6 at my track (not gonna name names but there aren't many 997gt3 in my hood) and they're slower than me with my stock tires. Theoretically, going from MSPC to R6 should be worth at least a few seconds per lap- (somewhere between 1-3 seconds per mile depending on the layout, right?)

I personally like BBS wheels the best for looks, HRE second. some of the champions look cool but I've got no experience personally with them.

Hi CJ,
" MSPC is extremely pressure and temp sensitive"

I completely know this as I have plenty of first hand experience with this pattern

Do you think trying to run your 'street' set of tires on the track is a bad idea?

"
I personally like BBS wheels the best for looks, HRE second. some of the champions look cool but I've got no experience personally with them"

Thanks for your feedback on that. I will be seeing what is available later this week.

Thanks,
Greg

Quick Reply: Seeking advice: track set of 19 inch rims and tires