Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 or RS Exhaust Recommendations

I did something like this a while back, but I thought there may be more GT3 and RS owners that have done exhaust mods since then. Since my car is on the rack again, may be a good time to look at it again, as the labor will be nothing to add stuff with the engine out. So where do you stand?

1. Yes upgrade it!...what is the best exhaust upgrade?...quote weight savings and any power gains/losses.

2. While your at it mod it!...any experiences on software enhancements for power upgrades?

3. Forget it and leave it alone!...the car is good like it is and the upgrades don't make enough difference to justify the cost.

Thanks in advance guys!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with the sharkwerks bypass. its 18lbs lighter and sounds great with or without sport mode.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know yet, when or if kreissieg is done with their 997GT3 exhaust.
Although expensive, the kreissieg exhaust is going to be the ONE.

R
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should hear the Farnbacher titanium exhaust...ask me how I know...
Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Well, let's hear it..Do you have a clip?

R
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If you track your car, are their sound limits? If yes, don't change the exhaust. as it stands a 997 GT3 or RS barely meets noise at some tracks and Mooty says he gets black flagged at Laguna Seca with a stock 997 GT3.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I did something like this a while back, but I thought there may be more GT3 and RS owners that have done exhaust mods since then. Since my car is on the rack again, may be a good time to look at it again, as the labor will be nothing to add stuff with the engine out. So where do you stand?

1. Yes upgrade it!...what is the best exhaust upgrade?...quote weight savings and any power gains/losses.

2. While your at it mod it!...any experiences on software enhancements for power upgrades?

3. Forget it and leave it alone!...the car is good like it is and the upgrades don't make enough difference to justify the cost.

Thanks in advance guys!

leave it alone.
put the money into modding your new race car.
if any of it is left, send it my way.
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
If you track your car, are their sound limits? If yes, don't change the exhaust. as it stands a 997 GT3 or RS barely meets noise at some tracks and Mooty says he gets black flagged at Laguna Seca with a stock 997 GT3.
Yes there is at RRR...I think like 103 db.
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
yes, EVERY stock 997gt3 and RS failed sound at LS.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
leave it alone.
put the money into modding your new race car.
if any of it is left, send it my way.
Probably right John. I may need a second mortgage to do both! It just looks so tempting sitting on that rack...mumbling "no labor cost" "no labor cost".
Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Probably right John. I may need a second mortgage to do both! It just looks so tempting sitting on that rack...mumbling "no labor cost" "no labor cost".
2nd mortgage....

i am on my 4th.... you know i have to buy tires.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharkwerks has made me very happy. Less weight, good price, sounds awesome, not too loud, not too quite, easy install, easy removal to go back to stock for those picky tracks (although I doubt you would want to do this every weekend; once a month would be fine though).

It is almost the perfect solution unless you want to go for the extreme and you like to spend a lot of extra money on the possibility of getting a few extra horses that you won't even notice. Plus, I have found that finding a good aftermarket exhaust for the GT3 is very difficult. Wait until you research it and start to ask questions. You will trust no one and think it is all a big conspiracy! I thought that because I was spending $5K on a full exhaust that I must be getting something good; I was wrong, or so I am told. Even the $8K option has negative press. There is one in particular who I thought must be good, but I find many negative comments, some including the word "China." YIKES!!!

The Sharkwerks had the least amount of negative comments, and in some ways it had none because Sharkwerks does not admit to making any power with their exhaust delete. Just weight savings and good sound. They do have a GIAC tune just for their product and it seems to be a fair estimate that really only claims significant gains in the midrange.

It is just a good solution. I have not noticed any loss in power, nor any gains either. I also do not have any engine lights or any odd behavior. I just enjoy hearing it while driving, and I get compliments on the sound like you wouldn't believe. I just did a group drive through the mountains with a few other GT3's and a couble turbos (993 and 996) and a Carrera GT. The GT was stock and sounded unbelieveable; but when someone else was following me and I was in the "zone," I got very, very favorable comments.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

I am very happy with my AWE headers and mufflers which do have demonstrable power and torque improvements (not that I need them but...) and a great sound.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

sharkwerks bypass muffler is a great mod...the sounds are incredible and who wouldn't mind losing 18lbs!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

Sharkwerks: Cheaper than the other options, as good a sound as you could want, no worry about CEL, 16 lbs or so lighter than stock.

Quick Reply: GT3 or RS Exhaust Recommendations