Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My First video, Sebring 48 Hours DE

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First video, Sebring 48 Hours DE

Here's my first attempt at posting a video. The video was shot with a Chasecam, mounted to the RS rollbar, which may explain the vibrations. The sound is also lousy because of the turbulence, I've since then purchased an external mike, but will have to install it somewhere out of the wind. Not sure if the "930" that I was chasing was helping or hurting. In some turns he was holding me up, on the other hand he was probably helping me by pulling me along on the straight aways. Either way it was the fastest lap I ever did at Sebring. When I look at the Traqmate data for that lap, it's the lap that was done with the least amount of "coasting", and there really was only coasting just before Bishop Bend. Besides that, I was either on the gas, or on the brakes. Of course I still see plenty of little screw ups, but alas..

Any comments/critizism/suggestions welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHVW43Zxkyc
Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That was entertaining, thanks for posting. My unscientific YouTube calculations say that was a 2:24 - sound about right to you? Brisk!

A couple questions: what tires were you on? did you upshift to fourth between T10 and T13? were you flat through Bishops? do you think your turn-in points are relatively early compared to the DE line taught at PCA events?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

My traqmate showed 2:23.48 for that lap. Wish I could do that consistently....

I was on R888's, 245/305 18's. I'm not sure if I upshifted to 4th between T10 and T13, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I always shortshift to 3rd right after turnin, but usually don't bother shifting to 4th. I was not flat thru Bishops, I shortshift to 4th, then accelerate thru, but not flat. Usually if I go any faster, the car drifts out too far to the right, screwing up my turn 14-15. In supersolo I love going faster and drifting wide to make a pass, but it does not seem to help my lap times.
Regarding my turn-in points, I've been experimenting a lot lately with turning earlier and not going as far wide before turn-in. I have found that if I don't veer as wide, the car does not take as long to settle it's weight, which allows me to turn in faster instead of having to wait for the car before I can turn in. (the car will drift to a good line anyway if I enter fast enough) I'm also trying to shorten the track by hitting almost every inside of the rumple strips after watching Manny doing it in his white GT3
Old 03-24-2008, 12:23 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Good Stuff.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Erik,

That was a great lap! Can you post the traqmate file to the traqmate website?

Thanks,

Armando
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Very entertaining! Thanks for that.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Dan Blumenthal
Advanced

Short sleeves allowed?!

Dan
Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

erik, must be hot in FL.
shorts and no sleeves no gloves.
why 245/305 and not 255/315?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Do you go down to third for turn 1?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

That was a great lap! Can you post the traqmate file to the traqmate website?
Armando, when I figure out how to do that, I will, but between the Chasecam, Traqmate and Sony Vega software, I have wayyyyy too much to figure out, and wayyyy too little patience

S
hort sleeves allowed?!
Not just short sleeves, also shorts. Look at those sexy legs blipping the throttle. Suncoast Porsche allows shorts and short sleeves, PBOC Supersolo is full race suit, racing shoes and socks, gloves etc etc. If they allow me, I'll run in my underwear (which would not be a pretty sight)

why 245/305 and not 255/315?
When I found out that they would fit I had already ordered my 245/305's. I even tried to sell my 245/305's, but I'm cheap so I wasn't gonna take a discount on brand new, unused tires. Besides, I have to leave some time on the table . The set being installed tomorrow are 255/315's, although I'm nervous about the front fitting. My car was lowered, and it does not look like I have a whole lot of room up front (plenty in the rear). We'll find out tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Armando, yes I go down to 3rd into one, car is geared tall enough (or I'm too slow)
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Erik,

Forget the too slow hypothesis! Does the car get fidgety when you get back on the gas? If so, have you tried with and without traction control?
One more traqmate question : have you set sectors, and what theoretical lap time do you get? Good luck with all the gadgets!

Armando
Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Armando, when I figure out how to do that, I will, but between the Chasecam, Traqmate and Sony Vega software, I have wayyyyy too much to figure out, and wayyyy too little patience

S
Not just short sleeves, also shorts. Look at those sexy legs blipping the throttle. Suncoast Porsche allows shorts and short sleeves, PBOC Supersolo is full race suit, racing shoes and socks, gloves etc etc. If they allow me, I'll run in my underwear (which would not be a pretty sight)

When I found out that they would fit I had already ordered my 245/305's. I even tried to sell my 245/305's, but I'm cheap so I wasn't gonna take a discount on brand new, unused tires. Besides, I have to leave some time on the table . The set being installed tomorrow are 255/315's, although I'm nervous about the front fitting. My car was lowered, and it does not look like I have a whole lot of room up front (plenty in the rear). We'll find out tomorrow.
you cheap bastard, just like me. i got 2 full sets of 245/305 still for the RS. bought them really cheap (new). those sizes dont work well on 6gt3, so i run 255/315 on the 6 and narrower tires on RS. like you, i KNOW i am leaving time on the table, i am faster in the 6..... you know we got to have some built in excuses, LOL.

you should have no prob up front with 255. it fits my 996gt3, which is tighter than 997. you will rub at full lock, but i hope you never get to full lock on track...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Armando, I'm still playing around with the traqmate, have not figured the "best lap" out yet. Just tried the auto segment. I'm going to dedicate some time soon. As for the car getting figety in 3rd thru T1, to me it more important to transfer smoothly off the brake and onto the gas, and if that transition was smooth, then there are no issues gassing thru. If on the other hand I come off the brake a little too abrupt or get on the gas too abrupt, the car is a handfull. I've tried with traction control off and on, and have spun with both . I've found that with the sport button on (I always unplug the exhaust during track events), traction control never interferes. The only time TC cuts in is if I forget to push the sport button. (I usually feel it cutting in during the first lap :-) if I forget )
Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Mooty, I'll take those 2 unwanted sets of your hand for $500 each

Quick Reply: My First video, Sebring 48 Hours DE