Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why are rotors drilled or slotted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why are rotors drilled or slotted?

Just curious what the purpose is of cross-drilling or slotting rotors? I've heard theories about dissipating heat, gasses, water... Anyone here know the definitive answer? Some say it's just for looks.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Just curious what the purpose is of cross-drilling or slotting rotors? I've heard theories about dissipating heat, gasses, water... Anyone here know the definitive answer? Some say it's just for looks.
http://www.roto-tech.com/products.html
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Cross drilling allows premature cracking from hole to hole, causing one to empty his wallet at the parts counter after track weekends. LOL. FWIW, I've had better luck with slotted rotors.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe drilling helps lower unsprung weight.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

it's all allegedly to help increase resistance to fade by keeping temps down with additional airflow... has side effects of lightening unsprung weight (good) and wallet (bad). also, it gives the brake dust somewhere to go.

plus- they do look cooler- which is undebatable.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
it's all allegedly to help increase resistance to fade by keeping temps down with additional airflow... has side effects of lightening unsprung weight (good) and wallet (bad). also, it gives the brake dust somewhere to go.

plus- they do look cooler- which is undebatable.
I don't find it cool to have brand new rotors cracked after barely a day at the track....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Cross drilling allows premature cracking from hole to hole, causing one to empty his wallet at the parts counter after track weekends. LOL. FWIW, I've had better luck with slotted rotors.

x2
Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cross drilled and slotted rotors help vent gases produced when braking thus keeping the pads perform more efficiently... :-)
Old 09-27-2008, 07:09 PM
944J
Banned

what does porsche use on it's race cars?

what does it offer on the approximately million $us dollar carrera gt? why would it put drilled rotors on the carrera gt if they weren't the best?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:29 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW it is my understanding that on OEM steel Porsche rotors the placement of the holes is part of the forging process and they are not drilled after the fact.

While having to replace rotors on such a regular basis is an expensive PITA,is their an engineering solution to this problem other then ceramics @ $6-8,000 a set?It would be hard to believe that after- market rotors that are actually cross drilled would be a better option.

It would also seem hard to believe that this is a Porsche only problem and that other high performance cars like the vettes,vipers,ferrari,etc don't have the same issue,especially those that are raced or tracked.

Tom B.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 944J
what does porsche use on it's race cars?

what does it offer on the approximately million $us dollar carrera gt? why would it put drilled rotors on the carrera gt if they weren't the best?
Have you seen the drilled rotors on the cups and such? They are humongous in width, my have the 3 piece cup rotors and they are just beastly, no cracks like the regular cups! Pricey though!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct: not drilled.
Originally Posted by tomburdge
FWIW it is my understanding that on OEM steel Porsche rotors the placement of the holes is part of the forging process and they are not drilled after the fact.

While having to replace rotors on such a regular basis is an expensive PITA,is their an engineering solution to this problem other then ceramics @ $6-8,000 a set?It would be hard to believe that after- market rotors that are actually cross drilled would be a better option.

It would also seem hard to believe that this is a Porsche only problem and that other high performance cars like the vettes,vipers,ferrari,etc don't have the same issue,especially those that are raced or tracked.

Tom B.

Quick Reply: Why are rotors drilled or slotted?