Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Smoke at start-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 AM
bprzekop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Smoke at start-up

I notice that about half the time, there is a fair bit of oil smoke coming out of the exhaust when I start my 997 GT3 in the morning. I have put 2000 miles on the car in the past 2 months, it is driven nearly daily, and it does not seem to be using much oil (I check it regularly with the computer display after the engine has been running at least 20 minutes and oil temp shows warm, and it always shows at or just over full). My previous Porsche was a 2006 Carrera S and I would notice this kind of smoke only when I had run the car for a very brief period, for example move it out of the garage to wash, move back in, and next time I fired it up there would be smoke. Is the smoke from the GT3 a characteristic of a true dry sump engine, in that it tends to happen more with this kind of engine than the "integrated dry sump"/wet sump engines of the now standard 911?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perfectly normal
Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 AM
normank
Racer

It is best to wait until someone is walking past your garage before you fire it up.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's even better when it's sitting in front of the Bellagio, tons of people around and the valet fires it up and everyone gasps as your car does an "Uncle Buck"...ask me how I know..
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
flash1034
Pro

Boxer (horizontal) engine design. Oil settles down and seeps past the rings. Normal.

Flash
Old 03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
bprzekop
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone who set my mind at rest with "it's normal" replies. I also enjoyed the advice to wait until someone is walking nearby, or to have it fired up in front of Bellagio, confirming my original suspicion that the Rennlist folks are truly kindred spirits (with great senses of dry humor).
Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

The smokey startups don't bother me. It's the occasional metallic sounding machine-gun rattle startups that freak me out! I believe that's normal too, right? Right??
Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
The smokey startups don't bother me. It's the occasional metallic sounding machine-gun rattle startups that freak me out! I believe that's normal too, right? Right??

Yes from stone cold the metallic rattle is normal.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Yes from stone cold the metallic rattle is normal.
Yes, I did get that too at one time. Freaked me out. Good to know it's all normal. Come to think of it, it was rather cold that morning when I started her up, so that makes sense...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowDragon
Yes, I did get that too at one time. Freaked me out. Good to know it's all normal. Come to think of it, it was rather cold that morning when I started her up, so that makes sense...
I lurk here in the GT3 forum, 'cuz I look forward to owning a GT3 in the near future. I can't resist sharing this story with you all, 'tho.

Bought the 987S for the wife and brought it home in the spring. One freakishly cold morning, the 987S started up with the aforementioned metallic sounds. Since the C4S never did that, I immediately shut it down, called Porsche roadside assistance, and had them flat-bed the car from my garage to the dealership. Much to my surprise, the car started and purred like a kitten at the shop. Rather than embarrass me, the service department checked the whole car out, changed oil and filter, cleaned the car inside and out, and charged it all to warranty. They gave me a free Cayenne loaner to boot.

Car has not done it since.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yeah. Freaked me out too -so I had to post the same question on Renn a few years back.... I was convinced that I had just killed my engine... the horror!

My wife says I am living on the edge with regard to these P-cars...

-Blake
Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Speedster

-Blake

You are ............... that's the whole point of this madness !!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Cool

-Blake [/QUOTE]

Welcome to the club!
Old 03-08-2008, 03:33 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

my problem is not the smoke on startup but i want to be able to activate it with a button. wouldn't a smokescrean come in handy!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Hi Palting - have you had the oil pump change on the 987S? It is a TSB for rattling/grinding noise on a cold engine - mine did it intermittently before the retrofit.

Another vote for the "edge of madness" line - I get it 5 times a week since I bought the Gt3

Quick Reply: GT3 Smoke at start-up