Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Crank pulley coming loose on GT3's.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crank pulley coming loose on GT3's.....

Looking to accumulate data on this issue.... I've personally witnessed 4 GT3's suffer a crank pulley failure at track events -- the locking pin breaks and the nut securing the pulley comes loose. Pulley comes off, no water pump, power steering etc.. As a side note, all of these GT3's have had the LWF installed.

Anyone else seen or heard of this issue?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Missed shift's at or over 9000rpm.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

+1 Z06. The only one I have witnessed.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
JMeager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew of a 996 GT3 Mk1 that suffered the crank pulley coming loose. Cost the crank as it ate the crank end... very expensive failure....
Old 02-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06
Missed shift's at or over 9000rpm.
None of the guys fessed up to a missed shift.....????
Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack
Looking to accumulate data on this issue.... I've personally witnessed 4 GT3's suffer a crank pulley failure at track events -- the locking pin breaks and the nut securing the pulley comes loose. Pulley comes off, no water pump, power steering etc.. As a side note, all of these GT3's have had the LWF installed.

Anyone else seen or heard of this issue?
jack, this is my VERY WILD guess. bear with me.

i was told that GT3 and RS had different crank pulleys. i believe RS has steel and GT3 has alum. i dont know why they are different. would it be something to do with harmonic vibration such that LWF needs steel pulley while GT3 flywheel needs alum pulley?

again, i dont know what i am babbling about. but it is rather interesting that all the cars with this prob are GT3 with LWF. LWF is a factory part so it's just like RS. if the logic follows so far, then the only variable is the material of the pulley???
Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
jack, this is my VERY WILD guess. bear with me.

i was told that GT3 and RS had different crank pulleys. i believe RS has steel and GT3 has alum. i dont know why they are different. would it be something to do with harmonic vibration such that LWF needs steel pulley while GT3 flywheel needs alum pulley?

again, i dont know what i am babbling about. but it is rather interesting that all the cars with this prob are GT3 with LWF. LWF is a factory part so it's just like RS. if the logic follows so far, then the only variable is the material of the pulley???
You are correct. There are two different ones. Early ones had two holes in them. Others have ones with many more.... They require different tools (me being one of them) to tighten them. At first I thought it was just different for the RS and 3 but it's not... Seems like early cars.

9 more GT3s with LWFs since December and notta a peep, knock on wood or a pulley I guess.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
You are correct. There are two different ones. Early ones had two holes in them. Others have ones with many more.... They require different tools (me being one of them) to tighten them. At first I thought it was just different for the RS and 3 but it's not... Seems like early cars.

9 more GT3s with LWFs since December and notta a peep, knock on wood or a pulley I guess.
But have they been over revved yet?

It seems like that might be the root cause.

What happens if the RS is over revved, or are these better driven (empirical evidence?) and is part of what the extra $17K gets you?

Food for thought and analysis?

Certainly a topic worth monitoring (thanks Jack).
Old 02-29-2008, 03:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sharkster

i see, more confusion....
Old 02-29-2008, 04:12 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
But have they been over revved yet?

It seems like that might be the root cause.

What happens if the RS is over revved, or are these better driven (empirical evidence?) and is part of what the extra $17K gets you?

Food for thought and analysis?

Certainly a topic worth monitoring (thanks Jack).
The GT3 ECU reads quite differently and doesn't show over-revs in the same fashion as a standard bosch motronic 7.8 (motorsport lol) but to make it even more confusing there is an RS owner that we also know of that had the same issue. He's in Florida and the PIWIS didn't show anything. The dealer warrantied it obviously. With the tools I've got at my disposal the cars I've scanned haven't but then locally there have only been two. Someobody mentioned that there was a TSB on the torque specs as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
prysma997gt3
Advanced

Folks,

I have my car at the dealer now for some regular maintenance. I mentioned this issue to the service manager but he said he checked on it and could not find any info (Danbury Porsche).

Would you please point me to the right thread so I can gather some info and give to him? The car is there so they my as well check on it, or re-torque the thing.

Thank you

Luiz
Old 02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Maybe someone that has a race shop can ask them. The cup cars over rev and stay together.A Motec guy that supports ALMS said he sees Porsche over revs of 12K+ and the motor keeps going. What is the difference with their pulleys?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:51 PM
richardmacpherson
Intermediate

I have had this lwfw change done to my 997 GT3 and changed the pulley as well.

The technician advised that it was neceassary to avoid this problem and directed to do so by porsche.

Rgds,

Rick
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to a friend of mine in Chicago and I am sure he didn't over rev. He does have a LWFW.It wasn't expensive to fix but it happened @ 8:15 a.m. in the first session so it cost him the track day.
I also have an RS LWFW and mine is a O.K..
Old 02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by richardmacpherson
I have had this lwfw change done to my 997 GT3 and changed the pulley as well.

The technician advised that it was neceassary to avoid this problem and directed to do so by porsche.

Rgds,

Rick

are you in walnut creek?

Quick Reply: Crank pulley coming loose on GT3's.....