Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 "stereo"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh i forgot to say mine is an Exige S1. NO aircon NO stereo....
Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Originally Posted by bprzekop
I have had four Porsches, two with Bose (996 C4S and 997 Carrera S) and two without, including current GT3 with the sound package plus. I think my current GT3 sound system is pretty poor for a 110K plus car, but again I agree with most respondents that I hardly ever listen anyway, since I'd much rather put the car in "sport" and listen to the engine, especially over 5K RPM. Any "nicely noisy" (read: good sport exhaust) Porsche is going to have a fairly loud exhaust, and that will always compete with ANY sound system. With my past Bose equipped cars, if I listened to the stereo while parked, esp. with engine off, sound was just fine, even approaching very good status compared with other top notch systems like Harmon Kardon in my E Class Mercedes, but once underway, the sound deteriorated quickly due to the competing engine noise. So, bottom line, in GT3 I only listen to the radio when I am in town at low speed and absolutely need to hear something like news or weather, and occasionally pop in a CD to listen to music. But most of the time the music I prefer in the engine and exhaust anyway. Thus, I think putting more expensive stereo systems in GT3's is a bit of a counter productive exercise, pretty much like putting in great speakers on an airplane, vs. using a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones to listen to the movie.
Are there factory iPod interface for 911 without PCM?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

The 996 RS wins the prize for "worst ever car stereo". It only has the two dash speakers, nothing in the doors or at the rear. It's basically useless. At speed you hear nothing unless you crank it way up, at which point it puts out little more than painful distortion. I never use it except on long journeys (on sections with smooth asphalt).

I spent some time driving a 997 GT3 with Sound Package Plus, and I found that to be adequate.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by oh yea
It's the reason I sold the RS
good for you.
i was told the cup car you are eyeing got much better stereo now that the cat is removed
Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM
kailuadog
Instructor

My 2006 C4s has the bose which sucks too, but atleast you got the sound system plus because the standard stereo is really bad.

But who really cares once you hit 4000 rpm's?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche has a history of poor quality stereo's in their sport cars. I personally like it this way. We have a simple, lightweight system, which also helps in reducing possible rattles. I never use mine because I want to hear the car; a stereo can be distracting for me too. But if I ever go on a long trip and I am just cruising and getting board; then the stock system is enough to put out some recognizeable sounds. For a GT3, the simplier the better.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
prg
Pro

The Challenge Stradale easily trumps the GT3RS in both the "Worst overall" and "Most superfluous" stereo categories.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever
Are there factory iPod interface for 911 without PCM?
Yes. I know about the mObridge, but not sure if it will work for my application. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 mooty
Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
The Challenge Stradale easily trumps the GT3RS in both the "Worst overall" and "Most superfluous" stereo categories.
Completely agree. The 360CS had two full-range speakers on the rear bulkhead between the driver and passenger seats. Not only did the sound flood your right ear or left ear depending on where you were sitting, it was hugely midrange-heavy.

At least it was an option on that car, unlike in modern American Porsches.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:53 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Most Porsche stereo's not great, I love music in my other cars but in the911's don't miss it much. If you are going to upgrade do some research in my 944 cab had 2 shops do extensive work still sounded bad unbalanced to high no mid etc.

Most shops today are plug & play, kids working etc. Found an old school shop from the 70's without changing any hardware he made the thing sound incredable by baffling the speakers measuring output balancing the system etc.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 PM
pred8or
Racer

Its funny if you asked anyone with a C2-C4 if they would rather have a GT3 I am sure it would be overwhelmingly yes. Then if you ask standard stereo or BOSE they say BOSE. I Have a C4S on order with standard stereo and PSE.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Dan Blumenthal
Advanced

Thanks for the recommendation. I, like most of my compatriots with GT3's don't necessarily expect or want audiophile sound in our cars--just something that is tolerable to listen to (although I am an audiophile!). The system that comes in the car just sounds bad to me.

DB
Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche sound systems are junk. I keep telling myself when I buy a 911 as a "DD" I will be sure to add a McIntosh system...

Back in 2000, I ordered a new Cab from BHM in CA. The sales guy became a good friend and had me come down to the service department to check out the sound system in R Kelly's new 996 Cab. It was all McIntosh and was the most amazing system I have ever heard. Total cost was a bit under $20K. I have pledged to get that system in the next new 911 that I purchase...

Good luck with the upgrade.

-Blake
Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Dan Blumenthal
Advanced

Blake-

I bought a used 993tt a few years back with a full Mac stereo installed. It WAS the *****. I had to put the car in the body shop for some work, and the whole system was stolen out of the car while it was in there! Inside job of course! I can never seriosly think about listening to a good system my car, but it would just be nice to have something stock that sounded halfway tolerable.

Dan

Quick Reply: GT3 "stereo"