Old 02-17-2008, 12:47 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vanity Plate '1' Goes for $14M in Abu Dhabi

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > WORLD

Vanity Plate Reading '1' Goes for $14M in Abu Dhabi

Saturday, February 16, 2008

A license plate with nothing but the number "1" on it went for a record $14 million at a charity auction Saturday.

Saeed Khouri, a member of a wealthy Abu Dhabi family, wouldn't say how many automobiles he owned or which of them might carry the record-breaking single-digit plate.

"I bought it because it's the best number," said Khouri, whose family made its fortune in real estate. "I bought it because I want to be the best in the world."

The oil-rich UAE began auctioning off vanity license plates last May.

Ordinary automobile license plates issued to drivers here — and even most other vanity series plates — carry both Arabic and Western numerals and script, defining the issuing city and country.

Khouri's plate, however, has only the Western numeral and no letters.

The record sale surpassed the $6.8 million that was paid for an Emirati license plate at an earlier auction with the Western number 5 on it — also without Arabic numerals or letters.

Proceeds from the auctions, which are held in a lavish hotel here, go to a rehabilitation center for victims of traffic accidents.

On Saturday, 90 license plates were auctioned off in all, raising a total of $24 million. The previous five such events raised more than $50 million.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:50 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats nothing , in California a non vanity plate cost $840. NOW thats a story!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 02:06 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better yet, here in Quebec Canada you can't get a vanity plate, even if you were willing to spend 14million.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,256 Likes on 610 Posts

man inflation is a bitch. I remember when 14 million bucks would buy a whole car at auction
Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Thats nothing , in California a non vanity plate cost $840. NOW thats a story!!!!
When I lived in LA I kept my NY plates for 3 years.....at $80 for 2 years. That was for a mercedes, porsche, an land rover. NY does not issue plates based on dollar value....one of the few good deals left in NY.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

I saw an interview with the guy that bought #5 a few weeks back. He said he was going for the #1 plate. Wonder if he's the one who got it.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
FOXNEWS.COM HOME > WORLD

Vanity Plate Reading '1' Goes for $14M in Abu Dhabi
......carry both Arabic and Western numerals ...

Khouri's plate, however, has only the Western numeral...

[B...]Western number 5 on it — also without Arabic numerals...[/B]
Leave it to Fox News to get this wrong...Arabic Numerals are also known as Western Numerals but they're the same thing!

Arabic numerals, known formally as Hindu-Arabic numerals, and also as Indian numerals, Hindu numerals, Western Arabic numerals, European numerals, or Western numerals, are the most common symbolic representation of numbers around the world. They are considered an important milestone in the development of mathematics.

One may distinguish between the decimal system involved, also known as the Hindu-Arabic numeral system, and the precise glyphs used. The glyphs most commonly used in conjunction with the Latin alphabet since Early Modern times are 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

The numerals arose in India between 400 BC and 400 AD.[1][2] They were transmitted first to West Asia, where they find mention in the 9th century, and eventually to Europe in the 10th century.[1] Since knowledge of the numerals reached Europe through the work of Arab mathematicians and astronomers, the numerals came to be called "Arabic numerals."[2] In Arabic language itself, the Eastern Arabic numerals are called "Indian numerals," أرقام هندية, (arqam hindiyyah) and a different set of symbols are used as numerals.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:59 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Leave it to Fox News to get this wrong...Arabic Numerals are also known as Western Numerals but they're the same thing!

Arabic numerals, known formally as Hindu-Arabic numerals, and also as Indian numerals, Hindu numerals, Western Arabic numerals, European numerals, or Western numerals, are the most common symbolic representation of numbers around the world. They are considered an important milestone in the development of mathematics.

One may distinguish between the decimal system involved, also known as the Hindu-Arabic numeral system, and the precise glyphs used. The glyphs most commonly used in conjunction with the Latin alphabet since Early Modern times are 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

The numerals arose in India between 400 BC and 400 AD.[1][2] They were transmitted first to West Asia, where they find mention in the 9th century, and eventually to Europe in the 10th century.[1] Since knowledge of the numerals reached Europe through the work of Arab mathematicians and astronomers, the numerals came to be called "Arabic numerals."[2] In Arabic language itself, the Eastern Arabic numerals are called "Indian numerals," أرقام هندية, (arqam hindiyyah) and a different set of symbols are used as numerals.
So how to you call the numerals they use in the Arab countries, then? Because they sure as hell don't look like the "arabic" numerals I am used to.
On this one I am with Fox news until someone shows me a more easily understandable way to distinguish between "arabic" numerals and whatever they use in the UAE.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume Fox meant the numerals that you see in the middle east than look like something Aladin used to write and the western numerals we are used to seeing.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Carrera 69
Advanced

Originally Posted by CWay27
Better yet, here in Quebec Canada you can't get a vanity plate, even if you were willing to spend 14million.
You can thank the O.L.F. for that.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
So how to you call the numerals they use in the Arab countries, then? Because they sure as hell don't look like the "arabic" numerals I am used to.
On this one I am with Fox news until someone shows me a more easily understandable way to distinguish between "arabic" numerals and whatever they use in the UAE.
They are Indian numerals.

The guy who previously bought "5" and "7" could not get the "1". It's one of his relatives who did...
Old 02-18-2008, 12:28 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Bah, ok I didn't read it well. Yes, in UAE they use Eastern Arabic numerals. But I don't think Fox News audience is going to bother figuring that out. Western vs. Arab is much easier to grasp.
Saying Hindu-Arabic numerals vs. Eastern Arabic numerals will confuse the crap out of almost anyone. And until 5 minutes ago I would have been just as confused. But I am nerd armed with Wikipedia.

Back to the topic
Originally Posted by Arab dude with more money than brains
"I bought it because it's the best number," said Khouri, whose family made its fortune in real estate. "I bought it because I want to be the best in the world."
Spending huge sums of money to be meaninglessly unique. That's the UAE way.

I got a 911 on my plate and it cost me nothing. The guy at the DMV office was nice to me and looked through the pile of available plates and found one. I didn't even ask him and he thought it would be neat and he liked my car. Even if there are no vanity plates in Quebec you can still often pick the digits. The Porsche dealers always have good access to 911, 996, 997, 986 plates. Nobody pays anything for that.

Quick Reply: Vanity Plate '1' Goes for $14M in Abu Dhabi