Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Out with the Turbo and in with the RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
mr997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out with the Turbo and in with the RS

The Turbo was a great car, but I've decided to let it go for the RS. Just picked her up 2 days ago with a little under 500 miles and already close to 800 now! I do have a few questions though:

1. any of you guys having a problem with the rear view mirror shaking too much? Everything is quite blurry when I'm on the freeway.
2. I hear a strange chatter when the clutch is not engaged. I step on the clutch and it's gone..normal?
3. On my Turbo I just didn't hear it quite as much, but for the RS I'm hearing all kinds of sh*t getting thrown up from my tires.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!

I haven't noticed anything with the rear view mirror; is it just the mirror, or in general are you feeling a lot of vibration? Could be bad roads, but it may also be worth getting your alignment checked. Mine was way off from factory specs when it came in.

Chatter is the lightweight flywheel, don't worry about it.

All the crap getting kicked up is the stickier tires. MPSCs (and I assume the Pirellis as well) pick up everything and throw it back at you.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure, but I know the Euro RS have a plastic windshield in the back that flutters. That might be you rearview mirror vibration issue. If the U.S. cars have glass then my comment is irrelevant.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Mainly all your questions are because the Turbo is a very different car.
1) My mirror shakes quite a bit too...hard to see clearly often, so I try to use the sides. (Turbo has a smother ride)
2) As stated, GT3RS has a lightweight flywheel, thus the rattling (Turbo does not)
3) Sticky tires throw up lots of crap (Turbo tires not as soft)
4) Very little sound deadening or under coat so you hear the stuff more (Turbo has more)
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The dual mass flywheel is for the US We seem to complain alot about clutch clatter so they PAG dumb us down with the dual mass fly wheel. YOU get the RS LWFW and RS CLutch in your car and they make the proper noise. Thats what its SUPPOSED to sound like! Myy 996 Mirror shook but not this one.

The Turbo is made for (and if you take this to the turbo forum I will unequivocally deny I EVER said this!!!)
the discerning doctor whom likes to think he has the baddest car on the planet but still demand supple leather, the little bells and whistles that let him know that the office is desperately calling because 68 year old Mrs Heinz misplaced her Xanax. And all he has to do is push another button on his navigation display and turn up his stereo to ingnore it all. The typical TT owner has no clue that a GT3 even exists nor knows where the closest track is. He is oblivious to the GT2 class in ALMS or LeMans and believes just as the rest of the world that the TT is the best overall car the any auto manufacturer much less Porsche has EVER produced. AND it has a Great compliant ride!!(I said typical not the track rat TT owners that hang out here!!)
Thats why the GT3 doesn't feel or sound ANYTHING like a Twin Turbo
Again I will deny any of this under oath.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Old guy, Will that message self destruct in 10 seconds? Oh well. (well said, all be it, just SLIGHTLY overstated!)
Old 02-13-2008, 12:27 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Schmidts, I am from Texas so overstatement and going off on a tangent are a genetic trait.
Also I try to bring a smile to a face or two.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about your mirror, but the rest is normal. One guy mentioned getting your alignment checked, I would have all of your wheels re-balanced first. One other possibility could be flat spots on your tires. Not necessarily from hard braking and wheel lock up (I'm not sure how much the ABS allows, or how quickly this can happen on such a soft compound), but maybe just from the car sitting around and not being driven. I would think that with these softer tires, they can get permanently deformed easier, but maybe it is the other way around (harder compound are more likely to deform/flat spot). Many RS's are garage queens, and some owners may not know how to properly store their cars.

Do a full alignment and wheel balance. If you still get the vibration (especially if you feel it in the steering wheel), then get new tires.

Or, I could take your RS off your hands if you are not happy with it. I have a perfect GT3 with only 2400 miles which has none of these problems. I would trade you and give you some cash! I am a humanitarian.

Stephen
Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Stephen sometimes I am emotionally overcome by the humanity on this board! Nice job!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:10 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Stephen sometimes I am emotionally overcome by the humanity on this board! Nice job!

I try to give to my fellow man whenever I can.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 AM
mr997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Mainly all your questions are because the Turbo is a very different car.
1) My mirror shakes quite a bit too...hard to see clearly often, so I try to use the sides. (Turbo has a smother ride)
2) As stated, GT3RS has a lightweight flywheel, thus the rattling (Turbo does not)
3) Sticky tires throw up lots of crap (Turbo tires not as soft)
4) Very little sound deadening or under coat so you hear the stuff more (Turbo has more)
I think it is the vibration and avoid staring at the windshield mounted mirror - anyone else with this issue? I'm just wondering if something's loose on my mirror. It's ok when my car's still.

I guess I was not expecting some of these quirks with the RS, but hell, I forget about it as soon as I hit over 5k!!!!! When driving in triple digits though, I do get wince when I hear pebbles and rocks bouncing inside the wheel wells.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2008, 02:23 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Looks like you have the fixed buckets and screens too, nice, congrats and enjoy! And If you haven't already....put on a bra, will ya? Clear.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:20 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

the reason the car is so light is the same reason why you hear the sand and pebbles, like mentioned above- no sound deadening. when my car was up on the lift the other day- I noticed how much thinner the underbody spray was...

the rear mirror on my car shakes so much it gives me vertigo...oddly enough I can see everything in the door mirrors. probably just some bad glue or something.

if you don't like the noise of the clutch/flywheel, just press it in all the way and rev really hard in between lights. probably bad for your car but hell it sounds amazing!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:43 AM
mr997
Advanced

I've also noticed that some of the edges on the RS decals are coming up. Anyone else seeing this?

Quick Reply: Out with the Turbo and in with the RS