Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My 1st DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st DIY oil change

Finally did the 2k-miles, end of break-in DIY oil change yesterday. It was quite easy and straightforwarded. Took me a few hourse but I was really, really taking my tiiimmmmeeeeeee.....Just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss a thing and tried to be as perfect as possibly.

I did the entire thing WITHOUT jacking up the car - all four wheels on the ground. DISCLAIMER - my car was cooled off a bit so the exhaust and the engine were warm to touch without burn.

Here's a pic of draining the oil tank:

Everything went smooth without a hitch, but here's a few things I'd like to share.

I ordered a so called '997 GT3 Oil Filter Kit' from a popular online place and here's what I got:

It came with large rubber o-ring, but small o-ring was not included. It also came with an engine plug aluminum washer (middle ring), but no copper washer for the oil tank plug. I don't know what the heck the right-most washer & plug are for. On the invoice, it did show the partnumber for the copper washer but it's not in the kit?!?!

Luckily I got the small o-ring but did not anticipate the missing of the copper washer so I had to re-use the old one.

I got this oil filter wrench for just a few dollars at a local autoparts store and it fits perfectly! No need to spend big money on the genuine Porsche's filter wrench.

I then added 9 quarts of Mobile 1 0W-40 and took it out on a spin. I waited till both oil and water temp reached the maximum level then I activated the 'oil level check' option. It showed that I was only at the bottom mark. I then added the whole 10th quart and immediately it showed that I was above the top mark?!?! Long story short, if the oil temp is not at optimum range, the oil check gauge will read false high (read more than actually is).

The computerized oil level check is not very user friendly. I do miss the dip stick!

Last edited by YellowDragon; 02-09-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you drained the tank; but did you drain the engine case as well? that is what the other plug is for....and if you did not drain the case, this would explain your excess in measurement....one plug is aluminum and the other is not and you need the copper crush washer as well, they are one use only....
Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some places will use aluminum crush for both oil tank and engine case- different sizes.

After you have done it a few times, should only take 1/2 hour. FWIW, here's my DIY oil https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=diy+oil
Old 02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

sometimes if you try to get the oil filter cover off when the motor is hot it will NOT come off
I loosen mine a tad then warm it up then remove it when its time
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Originally Posted by leif997
you drained the tank; but did you drain the engine case as well? that is what the other plug is for....and if you did not drain the case, this would explain your excess in measurement....one plug is aluminum and the other is not and you need the copper crush washer as well, they are one use only....
Yes, I did drain the case. The plug they supplied in the picture above was a torx one with that matching washer. It did not match the 15mm case plug nor the 19mm tank plug. It did not even fit either hole. There's problably a mix-up or they made a boo-boo. I think next time I'll order each item individually rather than as a package...

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Some places will use aluminum crush for both oil tank and engine case- different sizes.

After you have done it a few times, should only take 1/2 hour. FWIW, here's my DIY oil https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=diy+oil
All the aluminum washers they supplied did not match the copper one for the tank. Should-da check out your link before the job.....

As for the oil level confusion, here's what happened. After I filled in 9 qts and started the car, the oil temp showed low temp, obviously. I then took the car around the block till it reached the normal operating temp @ 200F and water temp @ 175F. I then return back to garage. While idling, I checked the oil level and it's at the lowest mark or arrow. From the manual, I know I am still 1.5 qts low (3 marks to the top arrow). I shut off the engine and I put in another qt. I then started the engine again and the oil temp's showed slightly below 200F mark. I then re-check the oil level immediately and now this time it's OVER the top arrow! I then shut off the engine again, used a top sider to suck out approx 1/2 qt oil, re-started the engine and re-check the oil level. Now this time it showed 2 marks below the top arrow! I was really, really confused because it did not make any sense to me! While the car was idling, I put another fresh 1/2 qt back in and now this time it was at the top arrow. I was relieved to see that and decided to let it continue to idle for a while longer. After 5 minutes, the oil level again dropped to one mark below top arrow.

The conclusion I gathered was if the oil temp is not at the optimum operating temp, i.e., 200F, then the oil level reading maybe a false high. It may not be a big deal as long as the level is in between the arrows, but for those who's **** as I am...
Old 02-09-2008, 05:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I ususally top off with 200 to 400 ml and recheck then - add more if needed. I always worry about adding a quart at one time to top off.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:46 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, no need to change the plugs with the oil change, only the washers.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:27 PM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

I just did an oil change. The instructions by Seattle Sun were very helpful.
I added 8.5 quarts after all the oil was drained and when I started the engine I got a low oil pressure warning that lasted for about 2 seconds. the oil level was at the low mark. Has this happened to anyone else?

It took 9.5 quarts to get the oil level to the full mark.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:36 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drqiman
I just did an oil change. The instructions by Seattle Sun were very helpful.
I added 8.5 quarts after all the oil was drained and when I started the engine I got a low oil pressure warning that lasted for about 2 seconds. the oil level was at the low mark. Has this happened to anyone else?

It took 9.5 quarts to get the oil level to the full mark.
9.5 here as well..
Old 02-10-2008, 12:42 AM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Is the temporary low oil pressure warning for 2 seconds when first starting the car after an oil change normal?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Is this temporary oil starvation enough to cause damage?

Thanks ahead of time for you answers to my questions.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the temporary low oil pressure warning for 2 seconds when first starting the car after an oil change normal?

perfectly normal -- it takes a few seconds for the oil filter to fill with oil. I wouldnt worry too much about it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

guys, it's not that hard.
remove the plugs, go drink a beer, come back and plug it up, add 9 qts. you will be right on the mark.

these cars carry so much oil, a qt more or less you are fine.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

If this bothers you, you can pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for a few seconds to fill the filter then put the fuse back in and start the car.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:21 PM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

So nothing to worry about and perhaps disable the fuel pump to prime the system. Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

I initially added 9qts and got NO low oil pressure warning when started up the car.

The order I did the oil change was drainning the tank, while waiting I changed the filter, then lastly drained the case. Don't know if this order works okay...?

BTW, the manual states 9.5 qts with filter change...

Quick Reply: My 1st DIY oil change