new 2008 GT3 RS MSRP+$30k

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 2008 GT3 RS MSRP+$30k

new 2008 GT3 RS
black, w/iron rotors, leather, PCM, Chrono, etc..
MSRP=$135,405
price=$165,405
at Tom Wood Porsche in Indianapolis

http://tom-wood.porschedealer.com/ne...ntoryid=372353

the prices are starting to ease up a bit
Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

30k in gas won't go far in his P-51 or Bearcat. lol!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just simply do not see the allure of the RS over the standard GT3. HOnestly what makes this one worth so much more desireable from any perspective that anyone would pay 30k over sticker and any additional for this version of the RS over the base GT3? I am not trying to be flippant with this either. I am seriously wondering because I see no tangible performance benefit other than you get it in a funky color.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi Joe,

I have not heard, did you get a GT3, or a Cayman S?

CP
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
flash1034
Pro

I agree. In fact, I'd rather have a GT3 with nav/ac/power sport seats, etc. Much more useable for the 99% of the time that I drive it on the street.

Flash
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Talking ...

Originally Posted by flash1034
...In fact, I'd rather have a GT3 with nav/ac/power sport seats, etc...
Hell-ya... would you like a Tiptronic also?
Damit, let's get heated seats too.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I just simply do not see the allure of the RS over the standard GT3. HOnestly what makes this one worth so much more...
Let me take a guess...
1 - the total number produced worldwide is extremely small.
2 - Correct me if I am wrong; this is the first RS imported to the US that is not too different from European models.
3 - Because there are still buyers even at that price
Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Correct me if I am wrong; this is the first RS imported to the US that is not too different from European models.
Okay I'll correct you. Given the absence of equipment (rollbar, light-weight seats, and plastic rear window), I think that the American RS is actually closer to the America GT3 than the European RS.

Truth is, the American RS is as much a decal job as it is a true RennSport version of the normal GT3. It's the fact that the decals are factory installed that makes it worth the premium.

That said, the GT3 is a fine auto, and the RS is slightly more so, but not worth $30-40K (diff in MSRP and addl markup) more.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Okay I'll correct you. Given the absence of equipment (rollbar, light-weight seats, and plastic rear window), I think that the American RS is actually closer to the America GT3 than the European RS.

Truth is, the American RS is as much a decal job as it is a true RennSport version of the normal GT3. It's the fact that the decals are factory installed that makes it worth the premium.

That said, the GT3 is a fine auto, and the RS is slightly more so, but not worth $30-40K (diff in MSRP and addl markup) more.
the euro "no-cost clubsport option" still comes in at a higher price than doing the same on a US version (well maybe last summer when I did it anyway)

whats the problem with adding it after if thats all it takes to get by DOT?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, if I had the money, I would go with the RS; but you are right; it would pretty much be because of the color schemes that they offer, and I still love the black RS with the orange wheels and other orange highlights.

Here in the U.S., the difference between the two cars comes down to 4 major differences, 2 of which are easily remedied, and the other two very difficult, and certainly ridiculous if you try to convert them:

Rear wing with trunk lid (easy change, but a bit pricey now that the parts prices have gone through the roof)
LWFW (easy and reasonable cost)
no sunroof (possible, but then you might as well go for an RS if you want it that bad)
widebody (possible, but it is not just the rear fenders and wheels; is it? Either way, go get an RS)

The different front lip is a piece of cake to change. The rest is nothing worth mentioning and is asthetic.

If you really care about the lack of sunroof and widebody, and you can afford it, then go for the RS; I would if I could afford the premium or get one at MSRP with my current salary; mine would be a base car with the base carbon package and maybe different color belts, and of course mats. As for PCCB's, only if it is a must have for resale.

The comment that they are rare and holding their value is a good one, but watch out, that can change in a hurry. Besides, the regular GT3 is not too shabby either on resale.

If you had the chance to order your own RS at MSRP, then I think that is a no brainer since it is only about $16K higher based on MSRP; well worth it in my book. But $46K or $76K...........I need more income.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...

..That said, the GT3 is a fine auto, and the RS is slightly more so, but not worth $30-40K (diff in MSRP and addl markup) more.
Rick, the markup $$$ do not go to the PAG and therefore, in my opinion, the Porsche did price the RS quite fair compare to the GT3 given that RS is so limited in number.

Originally Posted by 340Elise
...If you had the chance to order your own RS at MSRP, then I think that is a no brainer since it is only about $16K higher based on MSRP; well worth it in my book. But $46K or $76K...........I need more income.
I thought $30,000 above MSRP now!
What is real over-the-top is the markup or at-MSRP on used GT3's!

Last edited by ///Mous3; 01-25-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Rick, the markup $$$ do not go to the PAG and therefore, in my opinion, the Porsche did price the RS quite fair compare to the GT3 given that RS is so limited in number.
I agree. It would be a much better deal if it came with the European equipment - perhaps "in a box" (to be customer-installed) to pass US regs.

It's the big markups that I (and we all) think are crazy. But, as pointed out, that's the law of supply & demand at work.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I had a GT3 and now I have a GT3RS...in terms of performance you need to be a very skilled driver to extract the difference. For me its the orange color and a sharkwers bypass muffler is a must!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...

Originally Posted by richk
I had a GT3 and now I have a GT3RS...in terms of performance you need to be a very skilled driver to extract the difference.
C'mon Rich, when was the last time, a casual Porsche buyer came into the showroom and ask for a car with "more performance"? The reason for buying a RS is anything but performance-related.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

The reason for buying a RS is anything but performance-related.
You don't think that the 2 seconds faster a lap at the Ring isn't a huge performance difference (source Walter Roehrl's times at http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...=0&tID=10073)?

Interestingly, Walter's time in the 997 C2S is as much as 17 seconds a lap better than his 997 C2 times. And, whenever there is an "S or non-S?" thread, people tend to say that there isn't much of a difference.

Quick Reply: new 2008 GT3 RS MSRP+$30k