OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I will I look forward to seeing him.
Old 01-15-2008 | 02:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WalkerInTN
What magazine? I've never heard of "PML".
That's because Porsche Market Letter charges readers rather than advertisers for their little throw-away list of cars for sale. Never understood how that model worked, especially now with the internet.

OldGuy, sounds like fun. I've always thought it would be fun to write for a car mag.
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:41 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Good for you, Paul. Just the credentials to get into SEMA or auto shows are pay enough!
Old 01-15-2008 | 06:03 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The mags direction is changing with new ownership. We are going to start serving the reader more than in the past. Alan is right the old model was........well....... was old. We want to change that and make stuff more readable. its still a good source for new people to Porsche. For us here- we probably know more than the
dealers about market. Turbo I was thinking about that but still the opportunity to get the mag up to date was more than enough.
Old 01-15-2008 | 06:14 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by WalkerInTN
Hmm, never heard of it. Congrats never the less.
You will find it advertised in the back of the Autoweek classifieds. I always wanted to order one to see what it is all about; well, now I know!
Old 01-15-2008 | 08:41 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The mags direction is changing with new ownership. We are going to start serving the reader more than in the past. Alan is right the old model was........well....... was old. We want to change that and make stuff more readable.
The Kiplinger Washington Letter (politics) and many of those financial letters which all come under an annual subscription model have their place... However, paying PML for "content" based around car classifieds - well, that doesn't sit well with me. As a previous poster noted, the internet/google search help me find what is out there...

One magazine business model that I like is the DuPont Registry. Think about it - ALL of their content is advertising space, and then they charge a premium for the magazine itself! Nice double dip! Hell, they could GIVE it to Barnes & Noble and Borders for free just to get distribution and let those guys collect on the cover price. ... (they may just do that for all I know...)

Well congrats OG! I'm looking forward to seeing what the new ownership does to change the brand..

-Blake
Old 01-17-2008 | 12:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I have been asked to write for the Porsche Marketing letter as contributer,
by the owner of the Mag!
I have always wanted to do something like this. I can visit people
car makers and the movers and shakers in the industry.
It dont pay but it gets you some passes into SEMA Long Beach
and other events as that. I am truly stoked. I visit Fabryce of GMG racing
on Saturday. You'll probably see me asking for ideas!!
I will be drawing from all the info I have received here
thanks

OG
Congratulations on the tax deductible income stream -- just make sure you get it sorted out between their accountant and yours so there's enough money on paper to justify your travel and cars and depreciation and, and, and ...

By the way, you might start your career with a URL to site and a logo in your signature ... : )

Personally, I like the value in receiving pmletter even if I'm not buying, it's a great resource and valuable real data on pricing. I'm surprised it's never grown to the popularity Ferrari counterpart, ,http://www.ferrarimarketletter.com, but I think the way forward is content and value-add resources on a subscription Web site with tiers of subscription so that people who don't want to pay for the articles can just get the classifieds, or pay just for the asking-price index etc. In my humble experience, once you create an a la carte model, there's such a heavy overweighting to one particular subscription offering that the overhead to maintain the other forms of subscriptions is not cost effective. It's probably also worth noting the much higher percentage of perennial enthusiasts in Ferraris that look at buying but never or very rarely own a car (me, for example) while the percentage of Porsche enthusiasts tend to be much more likely to be owners or past owners. I don't think this is necessarily a strength for Porsche or a weakness for Ferrari, it's just a rather different crowd around the cars.

Well, good luck with the thumbnail dipped in tar.
Old 01-19-2008 | 06:50 PM
Max Power
Racer

I'll subscribe if you mention the registry.

Quick Reply: I have just been picked up as contributer for PML