Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wheels for 997 RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mooty gets his bars custom made by TC Design. If you can get your car to them, they will make you a wonderful rollbar but they wont make it without the car.

As for tags, I had already suggested in another thread "NO PULP" but what the heck.....
Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

CJ

I thought I was keeping up but apparently not. Which one of the RS's did you grab? Keep your other GT3 and park it next to mine at Spring Mountain in Pahrump. The track is great and the membership is very affordable. That is where my 996 GT3 is now. I have a whole crew of naturally aspirated GT3's. I have been able to find an excuse for having each one. Does your contract prohibit you from DE days?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Anyone that can help me out with my question re. the wheels?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Make it easy:

OEM!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

matroxMGA- I think all of would agree that 20" wheels are not that good of an idea on a GT3...I agree with colm. I apologize for the thread hijack.

pranqster- I got lucky on one, don't want to get too far into details but LUCKY. Problem is- I literally have invested all the money that it would take to keep both- don't get me wrong, if the money owed to me (porsche VAT refund, marketing consulting fee, MLB licensing checks, upcoming tax refunds) all came now, I'd be able to easily- but I can't exactly tell the RS deal to wait for another 3 months while I get it all together...we don't get paid during the offseason so i've had to save up for each winter since 2001- or get a side job. but the smart thing is just to take those checks and reinvest, and or pay off the RS a few years ahead of schedule, or basically how I budgeted to pay off the original GT3 by may.

I can do DEs and track days- just no "timed racing events" and I track my andial turbo whenever I can.

if anyone wants to loan me the cash for 6 months to keep my original gt3, I'd probably do that. although it wouldn't be wise, and at my age I'm still dumb enough to not hook myself on too many cars (that would be 4- and I live in a condo)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

CJ, don't worry, you'll be plenty happy with your pumpkin and 993. Keeping the other GT3 would be nice but not very wise financially since both cars are very similar.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
carl- orange, pccb. that's it. I think once I switch to bucket seats (996 not the carbon CGT ones) and 18" wheels, I should have one of the lighter "stock" cars. skipping on the xenons might save about 12kg from what I've heard
Ah, good man; I also went without the Xenons for that weight savings, less complexity (self leveling, ballasts, etc...), and I don't like the warts. Has anyone actually ever used those besides testing and playing?

You heard 12 kg?!! That would be great, I hope so. I ordered my car with only the read belts and base carbon package, so I should not have any extra weight. And if the car truly weighs 3070 lbs with no options, then I will easily be able to meet my goal of 2,880 lbs.

When I weighed my base 2005 997 C2, I know it definetely came in under 3,200 lbs, but I cannot remember exactly what it was (3,140 comes to mind), and it had about 1/4 tank of gas in it.

I will weigh my GT3 as soon as possible since I want to keep a very accurate log of each weight savings measure. I have the SharkWerks muffler delete and one other deleted item for a total weight savings of 29 lbs so far. A LWFW is in the mail and will be installed within the next 2 weeks.

I need to find the lightest (reasonably priced) 18" wheels possible for street use; so if anyone knows of the lightest quality 18" wheels with the correct offsets for a price up to $5K, then please let me know. I have the stock brakes on the car.

As for 20" wheels..........WHAT??? The stock 19" cast anchors are already way too much; I don't even think I am strong enough to lift the rears.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

340- for about 5k you're looking at Fikse I think. I asked mooty about wheels, I'm probably gonna go with CCW because they're cheaper and matte black looks kinda stock. also- I'll probably scratch them up hunting down slow traffic (lol) and going too fast.

have you swapped out the seats for 996 gt3 buckets? that will drop about 70 pounds I think. Someone said that the xenons on a bimmer were 7-8 KG apiece and I've messed with headlights before- regular crappy headlight bulbs are really lightweight. You might be able to get a cup decklid or hood with just those little snap in clips instead of shocks, that seems like a pretty easy DIY. might save you another 4KG or so but hey it adds up slowly. Carbon inner door skins?

okay sorry I'm not trying to spend all your money- but it is fun!

I'm not looking to make a cup car out of mine so the only changes I do will be minor when I do them...
Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
340- for about 5k you're looking at Fikse I think. I asked mooty about wheels, I'm probably gonna go with CCW because they're cheaper and matte black looks kinda stock. also- I'll probably scratch them up hunting down slow traffic (lol) and going too fast.

have you swapped out the seats for 996 gt3 buckets? that will drop about 70 pounds I think. Someone said that the xenons on a bimmer were 7-8 KG apiece and I've messed with headlights before- regular crappy headlight bulbs are really lightweight. You might be able to get a cup decklid or hood with just those little snap in clips instead of shocks, that seems like a pretty easy DIY. might save you another 4KG or so but hey it adds up slowly. Carbon inner door skins?

okay sorry I'm not trying to spend all your money- but it is fun!

I'm not looking to make a cup car out of mine so the only changes I do will be minor when I do them...
Thank you for the info. I will be doing the most cost effective light weight mods, and you are right, it is fun and the little things add up.

Here is my plan to reach 2,880 lbs (if my car really does weigh 3,070 lbs with a gallon or two of fuel in it):

- Exhaust and one other item (which is a secret) saved 29 lbs already.
- the LWFW is another 14 lbs and is going in next weekend.
- 996 GT3 seats are next at about 60 lbs (I am trying to be conservative on those)
- A new lightweight Braille or Voltphreks or one other brand (forget the name) should save at least 30 lbs (unfortunately it is in the front of the car).
- 18" wheels I'm hoping will save about 30 lbs total for all 4.
- New 2 piece floating rotors with the aluminum hats (a direct replacement for the stock steal brakes) will save maybe 20 lbs for all 4, maybe even a bit more. RSS is coming out with these in March. This is much cheaper than the GTR kit from Brembo for $10 or $12K (does not meet my cost effictive rule).

So this all adds up to about 180 lbs, which will bring the car down to 2,890 lbs (again if it really weighs 3,070).

And I'm sure there are a few more upgrades that I can do to shave off at least another 20 lbs easy. So even if my car is closer to 3,100 lbs, I will still be able to hit the 2,900 lb target.

Oh wait, I forgot one more item. I removed the fuse for the sunroof, that might be a quarter of an ounce! Why did I do this? I refuse to acknowledge that my car has a sunroof, and I am rebeling against Porsche with my fuse removal; I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when they find out.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:33 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

340 I read you're a big guy- how did you ever fit into an elise? I get claustrophobic just looking at those things and I'm only 6'2 210. Of course if I was a race car driver I'd probably try to lose all the bulky muscle and get down to 180 or so. just like losing weight in the car!

I'm sure I could feel a difference of 100kg or 220 lbs as I can feel the difference between a full tank of gas, no gas, and or someone in the car and nobody in the car- but anything more drastic than switching to lighter seats on the interior probably won't happen...I'm not racing, just enjoying the track configuration*

*this statement has been altered in order to prevent my employers from reprimanding me
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM
prosper
Instructor

Buy BBS E88 Aluminum centered Real Racing Wheel.
The design is similar to BBS LM but looks much better.

They even have it in 20in and I think you can custom order the offset !
Have 2 colors Gold and Silver !!!

I think it is the best wheel (in style and performance) for Porsche 997
beside the Porsche 997 RSR racing wheel (but only available at 18in size if I am not mistaken).

I wish Porsche 997 RSR racing wheel style is available in 19 or 20in.It would look even better.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by prosper
Buy BBS E88 Aluminum centered Real Racing Wheel.
The design is similar to BBS LM but looks much better.
Agreed. The E88 is my favorite wheel for any 911 variant, hands down.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:43 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

ALot of guys move from 19's to 18's for performance and tire costs and you want to put on 20's?
You are the first GT3 guy that I have seen try to Bling over performance.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Agreed. The E88 is my favorite wheel for any 911 variant, hands down.

where to get them and how $$$?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
where to get them and how $$$?
http://bbs-racing-wheels.com/Seiten/frameE.htm
http://www.bbs-usa.com/index.php?id=321
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p033.htm
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p035.htm
http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/wheels/wheels.html

I believe they go through a different distribution channel than BBS street wheels, and they're all built to order. Really attractive wheels, for sure.

Quick Reply: Wheels for 997 RS