Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:24 PM
bprzekop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Replacement Tires

I just purchased a 2007 GT3 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. As this car will be my daily driver as well as weekend track tool, I am wondering whether I should replace these tires when worn with regular PS2's for everyday use, primarily for better safety in the rain, better wear, etc. I am wondering if anyone has done this, and what their experience has been with the PS2's. While the 997 turbo can be ordered with either tire, it appears the GT3's only come with cup tires from the factory, leading me to believe that Porsche really does not "like" any other tire on the car, and that it will not handle nearly as well (even on street). But as I say, I am hoping someone has some actual experience with the PS2's on this car.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I put PS2's on my GT3 before I took delivery and I am very happy with the tires. I mounted them on BBS forged wheels and have the OEM tires and wheels in my garage. The normal PS2 is a great tire. I plan to put them on my Corvette when the Goodyear runflats wear out.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT3/RS's also came with Pirelli P Zeros - a tire usually considered to be superior to MPSC's in the wet...

And I thought the full title was P Zero Corsa System..but I've lost track of Pirelli's name games...

Ensuing from TireRack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...29&RunFlat=All
Old 01-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I have the P-Zero's on my car and they handle pretty well doing wet laps of the nordscheilfe

Old 01-04-2008, 08:33 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bprzekop
I just purchased a 2007 GT3 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. As this car will be my daily driver as well as weekend track tool, I am wondering whether I should replace these tires when worn with regular PS2's for everyday use, primarily for better safety in the rain, better wear, etc. I am wondering if anyone has done this, and what their experience has been with the PS2's. While the 997 turbo can be ordered with either tire, it appears the GT3's only come with cup tires from the factory, leading me to believe that Porsche really does not "like" any other tire on the car, and that it will not handle nearly as well (even on street). But as I say, I am hoping someone has some actual experience with the PS2's on this car.
I bought an extra set of the RS OEM rims and mounted PS2s. So it's PS2s for street driving and MPSCs for the track. PS2's are great for all season and rain.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

actually my car came from the factory with the Corsa R's installed ... not the MPSC's ... which pissed me off at 1st until I got to the Nurburgring and it was wet ... at which point I was glad I had the Pirellis and not the MPSC's ...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I bought an extra set of the RS OEM rims and mounted PS2s. So it's PS2s for street driving and MPSCs for the track. PS2's are great for all season and rain.
I did the same thing I bought an extra set of rims and took my corsas off right away to save for the track and bought PS 2's for the road. First as compared to the cup's it not really a good road tire and not good wet so going to the PS2 is a safer alternative and the cups will not last to long anyway. so if you plan on tracking the car get them off ASAP and get some road tires on the puppy. You can find tire and wheel deals all the time on ebay.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I had the ps2 on my 993TT and RS4, and the pirellis corsas on my gt3. I was really happy with the pirellis in the rain, very stable up to 100mph. (hey it was the autobahn, I had to!)

I like both tires.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:34 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

PS2's here, switched them out the 1st week because it is my DD. Couldn't be happier. No problem in the rain. I think the PS2's are a great combination of performance and longevity. (The pilots were all performance and no longevity.)
Old 01-05-2008, 04:44 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and what sort of mileage are folks getting from the PS2s?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:03 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car also came w/ the Corsas. Before getting my car I read several posts warning folks about the GT3 in the rain. This had me planning to get different tires once I took delivery, but I decided not to once I actually got my car and drove it in the rain. No problems and surprisingly grippy. Why not try on the Corsas? It's the other OEM tire for the car, it's better than MPSC in rain, and from what I've read they also last longer. All of this makies it a better daily driver tire IMO.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
At most, two nails (one front, one rear).
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
I have read anywhere from 7k-12k.

similar thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=MILEAGE+PS2
Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

The Sport Cup for the GT3 is significantly different than the Sport Cup most folks buy. Porsche had Michelin design the compound and tread pattern different for the GT3. I have been running Sport Cups at the track for the past several years and find the "N" Sport Cup Porsche specs to be much harder and has much more traction in the rain. Now with that said, if you drive only on the street, and drive in the rain, its hard to beat the PS2. Just my opinion. Enjoy
Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
TripleM
Racer

PS2 for street driving shud easily cover more than 15,000 kms.
Had em on my M3 for bout 20kms, no sign of balding still and I ran -2.5 camber at the front and -2 at the back...

Awesome tires, best street tires in the mkt today...

Quick Reply: GT3 Replacement Tires