Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone else still awaiting delivary of GT3/RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone else still awaiting delivary of GT3/RS

Anyone else still waiting to get their car?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS should arrive by mid to end January.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

my car arrives at the dealership tomorrow. After tinting/clear bra/dealer prep, I will probably pick it up Thursday.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

still waiting for my car to get back from european delivery
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
heard your car was on a 2nd tour of Europe at the hands of the hotel doorman whp said he would take it back around to the transporter for you
Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had a Carrera GT on order, but the local dealer lied to me and then sold it to some other customer (I'm quite convinced I had my money in first and they decided to sell their only car the first year to a longer term customer...I had only bought a 996TT, M Roadster, and E46 M3 from them at that point...all in the previous two years...but the car they did get went to someone who had bought probably 30 cars in the last 20 years from them or something).

Went to the next closest dealer and put money on a GT3RS as soon as they were announced. Was told again my money was in first and that if they got a car, I'd get it. Later when I call them to inquire I'm almost laughed at by the salesman who took over for the salesman who had taken my deposit and was now gone on to some other job. He said they'd only be getting one in the first year and there were several people who had money in on that car for years before me. *sigh*

So, while I've spent more and the car is worth less to *sell*, I'm fairly certain my Cayman GTR is simply a better car for me anyway. Took finding out I wasn't getting a first year RS to make me take the leap and do the GTR conversion, but now I'm glad it happened that way.

I hate Porsche dealers.

--Donnie
Old 12-28-2007, 10:29 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

donnie I feel you- after buying 2 cars and putting a deposit on an RS or regular 3 (15 months beforehand)- the local dealer decided it would be a better idea to auction off the car.

it pays to have connections though- as a gt3 within my euro delivery window was sourced from porsche nashua via Ruf. so they're not all ********, just some of them
Old 12-29-2007, 12:59 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, if you want the car badly enough, it can be found. But in both cases the dealer strung me along for so stinking long that once I found out the real deal, there was pretty much no chance of getting a first year car without paying extra, which I just wasn't going to do on something that I was told I had at MSRP. In both cases I was just so pissed I decided to go in a different direction entirely. My Cayman S had been for sale for almost six months with no takers, too, so that made the choice a little easier.

Interestingly, I found out after the CGT debacle that a friend's Dad was a Porsche salesman in the DC area. I went through him to order my Cayman S, but before it was delivered he moved on to a job selling Ferraris somewhere else. I got my car, but that dealership was really annoying in their own "please don't touch anything" way, so I wasn't going to consider them when I decided to get an RS. Probably couldn't have gotten one through them, either...

I think from now on if I want something special I'll just have it built.

--Donnie
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine went into production 2 days earlier

Originally Posted by Kolbjorn S
RS should arrive by mid to end January.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
+1 - dropped mine off at Zuffenhausen on Dec 2

Donnie,

my GT3 is the first new car I have ever purchased. After spending a day to call all 200+ US Porsche dealers, I put myself on he list as a #3 with my local dealer in the US and they only got 2 allocations. Once they found out, they offered me a regular GT3 for MSRP 6 months ahead of delivery and I took it. Turns out that they are great people to deal with! Don't give up!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
my GT3 is the first new car I have ever purchased. After spending a day to call all 200+ US Porsche dealers, I put myself on he list as a #3 with my local dealer in the US and they only got 2 allocations. Once they found out, they offered me a regular GT3 for MSRP 6 months ahead of delivery and I took it. Turns out that they are great people to deal with! Don't give up!
Don't take this the wrong way, but you ended up with a car anyone can fairly easily get instead of a car that is VERY hard to get. While I'm sure you'll be very happy with it, it's comparing apples to oranges. Sure, at least they worked with you instead of stringing you along, and that's commendable, but at the end of the day you don't have your RS, either.

The problem, IMHO, is that they take deposits long before they know who will get what or even how many will be built. The only reason to do that is to gauge interest and then intentionally screw a bunch of folks to help increase the "rarity" factor of that particular car. They think that in most cases the folks that get screwed will just understand that "they can't make but so many" or whatever and will either pay over MSRP or settle for a lesser car.

I don't buy cars based on how rare they might be, I guy a car because it satisfies what I want in a car. If I have the money to pay for it and get my money in extremely early, Porsche should build enough of them to at least meet the demand of folks like me. That's how I feel about it, though I'm sure the collector types out there who buy one of every special car and are high up on their dealer's list would probably disagree with me. But we see which side of the coin Porsche prefers to take care of...collectors win over drivers every time.

Their margins are extremely high on a car like the GT3RS, and they are one of the best run companies in the world. If they wanted to meet actual sales demand on that car, they could do so VERY easily. This is what pisses me off.

--Donnie
Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 AM
TripleM
Racer

Collecting mine sometime next week, can't wait...Speed Yellow with Corsa tires
Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rs

I have an all black rs that should be here 2nd week of Jan
Old 12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, another GT3-RS in the Tri-State area. Congrats NYC123! Who is the dealer if you don't mind me asking?

-Pete
Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine just came in. Orange/black/orange stiching. Looks fantastic.

Quick Reply: Anyone else still awaiting delivary of GT3/RS