Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

One more satisfied Shark Werks customer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:50 PM
tiger 6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more satisfied Shark Werks customer

Had Alex's center exhaust installed on my RS a few days ago. Took about 2-3 hours to install with no difficulties. Alex's weight saving claims are correct. Sound is "as advertised." Idle is a bit different than stock-a little more "burble," but nothing that would make the cop next to you at the light think about pulling you over. Cruising at 70-80 mph is fine-no drone, just a slightly deeper base note than with the stock system. Things start to get interesting around 3000rpm. Between 3000-4000 rpm, the exhaust starts to sound louder. The note is deep and a bit "nasty[good!]." From 4000 on up, it wails!!! I have been told it sounds similar to a Cup car. Lots of fun passing other cars at 8000 and watching their brakes go on! I have had some experience with Tubi, Bob Ida etc exhausts on other cars, and I think the Shark Werks' exhaust is one of the better value for money, ease of installation, and overall sound quality systems on the market.
Thanks, Alex. Good Werk!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:04 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you DIY install?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:54 AM
tiger 6
Advanced

No. I made an appointment with Shark Werk's East Coast Distributor, Performance Engineering Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland, p:1-443-253-2715, to do the installation after also purchasing the exhaust from them. I drove up to Baltimore, dropped the car off with PEI, went to an excellent lunch at the Inner Harbor, picked the car up[it was cleaned up and looked great], and had a fun ride back to Richmond, Virginia receiving numerous dirty looks from all the Soccer Moms in their SUV's.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger 6
receiving numerous dirty looks from all the Soccer Moms in their SUV's.
gotta luv that..^...
Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there such a thing as "an unsatisfied" Sharkwerks customer?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:01 PM
gripet
Advanced

Also a satisfied Sharkwerks customer. Tried disconnecting the vaccuum switch but seemed to lose the traction control as well. My clumsy right foot noticed this immediately. Didn't realise they were interconnected. So I will keep it connected from here on out. Can't wait for better weather.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:12 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gripet
Tried disconnecting the vaccuum switch but seemed to lose the traction control as well. My clumsy right foot noticed this immediately. .

Not sure, but pretty sure, this is not true.
Maybe you were just enjoying the sound so much you were too heavy on the throttle in colder weather (more power) with less grippy tires.
I have said it many times, TC will not save you as it is very non intrusive.

Paul
Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gripet
Also a satisfied Sharkwerks customer. Tried disconnecting the vacuum switch but seemed to lose the traction control as well. My clumsy right foot noticed this immediately. Didn't realise they were interconnected. So I will keep it connected from here on out. Can't wait for better weather.
What did you do to disconnect. I have seen a post that you just unhook and cap the vacuum line that goes into to the switch at the muffler and cap the vacuum line. I have not tried it yet however.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 AM
flash1034
Pro

If you lost traction control then you definitely disconnected the wrong thing. It is on the right side of the engine compartment and is a green-ish colored connector. The exhaust will get noticibely louder immediately.

Flash
Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 AM
gripet
Advanced

997: you are probably right, the streets were a little damp and my enthusiasm was definitely high after three weeks of not being able to drive due to lousy weather. Just didn't remember that much wheel spin.
todinlaw: there is a good thread with pictures somewhere in here about how to unplug the electrical connector on the right side of the engine. There is a small U-shaped metal clip that has a nasty habit of flying off and landing near the right rear fender well. Don't lose it. Once that clip is off the plug will release downward and presto-chango more sound. After monkeying around with this several times I think I actually like it better with the Sharkwerks bypass but the electrical connector in stock setup. JMPO Got a nice battery tender at Sears for $25 that comes in through the slightly open window and into the cigar lighter.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:45 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Is there such a thing as "an unsatisfied" Sharkwerks customer?
My wife 'cos she never sees me and I mod all of her cars
Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger 6
No. I made an appointment with Shark Werk's East Coast Distributor, Performance Engineering Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland, p:1-443-253-2715, to do the installation after also purchasing the exhaust from them. I drove up to Baltimore, dropped the car off with PEI, went to an excellent lunch at the Inner Harbor, picked the car up[it was cleaned up and looked great], and had a fun ride back to Richmond, Virginia receiving numerous dirty looks from all the Soccer Moms in their SUV's.
Seriously thanks for the kind words and glad you like it. We have a lot of fun when a few of us Bay Area GT3/RS guys get together once in a while. I need to get a video of that for sure....

I am really glad to be working with Chuck and his crew at Performance Engineering inc (they actually have some very cool things coming down the pike for our cars) and we obviously highly recommend them for anything Porsche-related... Everytime I talk to them there's an RS in there! For guys on the East Coast that want to get a system feel free to drop them a line etc...

Quick Reply: One more satisfied Shark Werks customer