Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Level Frustration!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:19 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could indeed be correct that being .5 liters low is no problem. My concern, however is a different one.

My oil level checking system shows .5 liters low at some times and .5 liters OVERFULL at others. That's a full one liter of variability that seems to occur under the same checking conditions (oil/water temps, level ground, idle waiting period, etc.) As a result, I don't know whether my oil level is actually low or overfilled! And if it's overfilled I would certainly like to know as I suspect this could result in damage.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:34 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

My sensor failed with about 50 miles on the clock; apparently a simple dealer fix. It's worked fine since then.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM
SidewaysSid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overfilling by small amounts, such as 0.5 litres will only lead to embarrassment as you leave a blue cloud in your wake as you go down the road. Been there, done that and its amazing how much smoke you get from such a small amount of oil.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
gripet
Advanced

I agree with sideway sid. A small amount of excess oil will "blow by" causing a huge cloud of blue smoke. But these cars occassionally smoke on start up. I don't think 0.5 liter
is too much. If I drive for a while so that everthing is warmed up and then pull into the gas station and take the reading right then it seems to be accurate. Remember in the 80's when you had to look through the rear window from the engine side to see the gauge rise as you added oil.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear you guys don't see a problem with the half liter oil overfill (if that's indeed what I have). I haven't seen the blue smoke yet so perhaps my overfull reading is false.

Thanks David for the dipstick thread link. Sounds like quite a few of us are waiting to see how that goes for you.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
The good news is it's probably just the sensor. The bad news is they have to remove the engine to replace it!

(disclaimer: just going by what's been said in the forum --- hope I'm wrong )
This oil level thing is driving me crazy.

A few weeks back, I was out driving my car on the weekend, and as I was pulling back into my garage on my lift, I let it idle for several minutes while I got everything ready to raise the lift. I checked the oil, and it was at the minimum. I thought that was really odd given that it hadn't been that long since I changed it and I hadn't noticed any leaks, but ok, it needs oil. Next weekend, I go out and buy oil and after pulling back onto the lift, I do the same thing, but preparing to add a quart of oil, this time is shows at the full mark.

This weekend, I drive 2 hours to the track, and I check my oil at the gas station a few miles from the track, it reads full. I get to the track and check it before I go out, it reads below the low bar and flashing. I don't think that is right, given I just checked it an hour before.

Throughout the next couple of track sessions, I check the level after every run, following basically the same procedure. The indicated level hit every single level, from flashing low to full. Oil temp was just over 200 mark every time.

I can see moving about a half quart or so as oil drains back into the dry sump, but this that should mean a stop light check should read low, which is the opposite of what I seem to be experiencing (am I missing something with that logic).

Should I rely on the higher indications, the average, or the low?

How much would it cost to replace the sensors? Has anyone done this? Success or not?

I would hate to pay to have the engine dropped just for this, but my wish list has a few things that may require a drop any way (e.g., Guards LSD and maybe solid motor mounts), this may just push me over the edge to getting this done sooner.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 901 Likes on 340 Posts

...add coolant fittings and you have the engine out justification trifecta!

But seriously, I hope the fix is less invasive and you find a solution.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 993 is worse..... like a random guess...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the 993 is worse..... like a random guess...
no way, my gauge works like a champ.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old thread, but interesting!

I read in the TSB that each block on the indicator represents 0.5 liters. If I recall correctly from the user manual it states 300ml for each block (997 gt3 mk2). So which is correct?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny thread. I check my oil often. Lately, if I check when I JUST stop, like at a traffic light or parking, the level shows below minimum. If I wait 10s it shows 1/4. If I wait another 20s it shows 1/2 full. Then it bounces between 1/4 and 3/4 full, but is rarely consistent. I keep my eye on the oil pressure gauge...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 AM
chardonet
Racer

See Technical Bulletin attachment in Post No. 8 above.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chardonet
See Technical Bulletin attachment in Post No. 8 above.
I saw it. The relevant part of the technical bulletin says the following
Revised Procedure
Only carry out the oil level check when the oil and coolant temperatures are as follows:-
Oil Temperature is at least 90° Centigrade
Coolant Temperature is at 80° Centigrade
Once the above is observed the maximum the oil level should display is as
follows:-
The above oil level reading is a maximum value
Which is why I included the following in my OP
Originally Posted by Asquared
I check the level after every run, following basically the same procedure. The indicated level hit every single level, from flashing low to full. Oil temp was just over 200 mark every time.
I also let it idle for at least two minutes before checking in the exact same parking spot, which was level. I've done my research on here, and I have followed the procedures recommended here. I can see getting very different indications if you measure it with differing idle periods and oil temps, but I was very consistent in both idling periods and oil temps.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no way, my gauge works like a champ.
does you car show in the red when driving? does it show in the red when cold?

only when warm and stopped will the gauge give an accurate reading.

Im probably spoiled by newer technology of 997......

Quick Reply: Oil Level Frustration!