Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Its official, add me to the RMS leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because i work in a dealership that used to see 10x more RMS jobs a week then we do now. Since the redesigned seal I have seen 1 failure and that actually was Bento's seal in this thread, I have done one other 997 series seal and that was in a 05 car that happend to have an old style seal.

Mark
Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
Because i work in a dealership that used to see 10x more RMS jobs a week then we do now. Since the redesigned seal I have seen 1 failure and that actually was Bento's seal in this thread, I have done one other 997 series seal and that was in a 05 car that happend to have an old style seal.

Mark
Mark how long have they been using the new seal. I had my RMS leak fixed around the first part of December 07??

ZBB0730 Thanks for posting the pics of your engine and he plug inserts for me. Is that a sweet looking engine or what. As

As far as the complaints about Porsche and RMS, it is frustrating but its like a good woman we put up with it!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I TOO ALSO HAD A RMS SEAL REPLACED IN DECEMBER AND 100 MILES LATER IN JANUARY LAST WEEK- ANOTHER HAD TO BE PUT IN. PC HAD A FACTORY REP IN FLORIDA LAST WEEK LOOKING AT ANOTHER RMS JOB AND ADVISED MY DEALER TO HOLD UP FIXING IT THEN CHANGED THEIR MIND. MY CAR WAS BUILT IN MARCH- SO WHEN WAS THIS MAGICAL SEAL REDESIGNED FOR THE 15TH TIME- ORIGINAL SEAL FAILED AND TWO OTHERS- NEXT STOP FLORIDA LEMON LAW AND A CAR BUYBACK PER DEALER.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:52 PM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

JUST INFORMED BY PC DEALER A NEW REDESIGNED SEAL IS 60-90 DAYS AWAY- CAN THEY EVER GET IT RIGHT!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
No toleration for this crap here...
I wouldn't tolerate it either. The whole point of the GT3 is the motor...superior because it's a homologated race motor and endurance raced for decades...the rest of the car can be had for a lot less elsewhere in the Porsche line-up.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marky522

Mark
Mark, any idea of when exactly these redesigned seals got introduced, and were any cars equipped from factory with this new seal?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly this is both ridiculous and embarrassing for Porsche. They really need to get this worked out because it is a totally unacceptable situation for these cars to continue to have this problem going on 10 years now going back to the beginning of the 996.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:53 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

My RMS leak is back! I can't believe it!! There is also some other kind of leakage going on -- about a foot and half in front of the leak spot (looking from the rear of the car), on both sides of the car, there is some pink liquid on my garage floor as well. Coolant perhaps? Aarrgghh. Will call the dealer tomorrow -- perhaps the new/revised seal will work? My original leak was replaced in mid-December 2007, prior to the new part.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
My RMS leak is back! I can't believe it!! There is also some other kind of leakage going on -- about a foot and half in front of the leak spot (looking from the rear of the car), on both sides of the car, there is some pink liquid on my garage floor as well. Coolant perhaps? Aarrgghh. Will call the dealer tomorrow -- perhaps the new/revised seal will work? My original leak was replaced in mid-December 2007, prior to the new part.
review all the threads--

i had 3 different leaks which you may have

- rms
-8 platform seals
- pulley shaft
Old 03-24-2008, 01:58 PM
seung
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone.

just out of curiosity after reading so many of you still have the oil leaking after all the headache...

what will happen if you just ignore the rms leak but just watch the oil level regularly?
will it leak more and more then pour out eventually, or will the amount of leak always be consistent that you can get away by just being careful with the oil level?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,887 Likes on 2,408 Posts

pink is coolant. dont worry about it until you see warning light on coolant
Old 03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Thanks John . . . I didn't realize coolant could leak as well (this is the first I have seen of it).

Last edited by zellamsee; 03-24-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,887 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Thanks John . . . I didn't realize coolant could leak as well (the is the first I have seen of it).
HAHAHA, A LOT of things leak in porsches.
my RS also has pwr steering leak, not much though.
i was told by my dealer that the car is very sensitive to pwr str fluid loss. the light will go on, until then he told me not to worry.

to add more confusion. my cayman s tracked heavily is always low on coolant. the light never comes up and car never overheats. but i keep topping off, over 6 months i used up one gallon. BUT, it is ALWAYS low when ever i chk it. the light NEVER came up. the car NEVER overheats, and i have never found any coolant leak anywhere i parked...... where did all the fluid went???
Old 03-24-2008, 07:07 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

LOL -- my 993, which I have had now for 11 years, never leaks, period, in any way! What is going on with these modern Porsches!?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 PM
jshudson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 RMS leak

Add me to the list of 3s with a RMS leak and it may be the record: '08 with 70 miles. I am having the dealer replace it next week.
Service mgr told me the seal is designed with tiny perforations to relieve crankcase pressure at high revs and when cars sit for long periods (which mine has) the oil weeps through. He offered to replace it with a turbo engine seal which he said does not have the same design. I suggested a revised 3 seal might be available based on what I read here. Otherwise, I told them to install a new 3 seal.
Thanks to all that posted on this thread earlier. It really helped.
Jim

Quick Reply: Its official, add me to the RMS leak