Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Its official, add me to the RMS leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine doesnt have to come out, Porsche says it does. Like was noted above, the tech probably wont drop the engine. And we do check every car for the tolerence, I have yet to see a car being out of spec, but was told that Porsche will replace if it is. And yes the installation of the seal itsself can determine the future leaks. Porsche has a special tool to install it properly.

Mark
Old 12-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I have to make a quick decsion on a LWF upgrade. Anyone who has done this is it worth the buck?
i did it. you get quicker runup to red line. whether it's worth the bucks is subjective. parts were only 1700 and labour free so why not
Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Car is back from dealer, and dealer confirmed that engine did not need to come out. Apparently there is a new part (seal) that is used now in connection with the repair. Couple of pics attached.

Went for a quick spin tonight, and then checked the oil level -- I think it is over-filled. The reading is now above the top line, i.e., all bars all full, even the very top bar. Any concern?

Last edited by zellamsee; 06-02-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many posts on the LWFW, I am still confused what the advantages are?

You get to redline faster...............Seems faster, is it ?
You won't stall it out by letting clutch out too fast..............This is great for my girlfriend but not me.
Makes more noise at idle...........................add it to the list of GT3 noises
GT3RS has it............................
Old 12-14-2007, 04:34 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Such a beautiful picture. I did not know the GT3 RS has rear brakes cooling ducts, that's wonderful.

The headers are a better design than the ones on the 996 GT3 and quite a few GT3 Cups.

The rear sway bar drop link attachment is better than the thing on the 996 GT3. No more sway bar load rotating the spring perches.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Car is back from dealer, and dealer confirmed that engine did not need to come out. Apparently there is a new part (seal) that is used now in connection with the repair. Couple of pics attached.

Went for a quick spin tonight, and then checked the oil level -- I think it is over-filled. The reading is now above the top line, i.e., all bars all full, even the very top bar. Any concern?
I hope its the before shots of the car prior to the RMS replacement... it looks like there is oil dripping...

Mine had a droplet there also... but has not happened since but only a couple 100 miles later... I will keep a close eye on it....

Good to know the factory techs. learn on the fly... and whatever happens later will be OPC problem... got to love it...
Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Ok hear is my update. I took it in and they confirmed rms leak they told me they wanted the car for a few days so they could drop the motor. I asked the service manage if they were going to change the oil and he said they did not have to. When I picked up the car the invoice which is all no charge listed oil change engine pull and a host of other parts and supplies. I looked at the underside could not see any wrench or tool marks anywhere so i think its possible that they say they are going to pull it but over price the repair to make a few buck. I don't think they pulled the motor and I am not sure they changed the oil either. I wish i knew for sure as i want to change the oil at 3000 miles. since I have no dip stick i am not sure how to confirm new oil.

But on the important point No oil leak yet but I am not driving it either.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just noticed from the pics that the headers are spot welded on the medial aspect...went out to the garage and comfirmed it on the RS which is sitting on its perch up on the lift...gonna check the 3 to see if they are also....no drips from either car as of yet...
Old 12-21-2007, 01:02 AM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that you get rear brake ducts with the PCCB option only. Can't see ducts on my steel equipped car.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok hear is my update. I took it in and they confirmed rms leak they told me they wanted the car for a few days so they could drop the motor. I asked the service manage if they were going to change the oil and he said they did not have to. When I picked up the car the invoice which is all no charge listed oil change engine pull and a host of other parts and supplies. I looked at the underside could not see any wrench or tool marks anywhere so i think its possible that they say they are going to pull it but over price the repair to make a few buck. I don't think they pulled the motor and I am not sure they changed the oil either. I wish i knew for sure as i want to change the oil at 3000 miles. since I have no dip stick i am not sure how to confirm new oil.

You could remove the oil filter and check. You may lose a little oil (6 to 8 oz I would guess), but at least you could see it it was dirty or clean.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

I strongly think that they changed your oil. They have to disconnect the oil lines going to & from the front cooling radiators to lower your engine, and I dont think they would put same used oil back into the engine after they put things back together.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:23 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I have just started to notice a little drop of oil when I park the GT3 and it looks like the RMS . Mine has just at 1600 miles and I followed the break-in. I have alerted my dealer that it is a possible Rear main seal leak. I will keep watching it. Car was an early July 2007 build.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:23 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrPeter
I have read many posts on the LWFW, I am still confused what the advantages are?

You get to redline faster...............Seems faster, is it ? YES
You won't stall it out by letting clutch out too fast..............This is great for my girlfriend but not me. NOT TRUE
Makes more noise at idle...........................add it to the list of GT3 noises GT3 is supposed to make noises as it is a gentrified Racecar .... moreso with the GT3rs

GT3RS has it........
IT BETTER

LWFW is less reciprocating mass on the end of the crank which allows the crank[motor] to spin more freely
Old 12-25-2007, 04:31 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2006 M5 that was in for several repairs related to oil leaks, and they always put the old oil back in the car I thought it was crazy for such an expensive engine. After questioning it they replaced it as a courtesy.

With the RMS leak does anyone know if they have made changes to later production cars? Mine was just built two weeks ago?

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
I strongly think that they changed your oil. They have to disconnect the oil lines going to & from the front cooling radiators to lower your engine, and I dont think they would put same used oil back into the engine after they put things back together.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:09 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

I was told by my dealer that the problem with RMS leaks in early production cars was the tool used at the factory to install the RMS. Apparently there is a "better" tool being used therefore there should not be leaks for current production cars. I have an 08 RS built in October so I should be OK. I have not seen anyone post a problem with an 08 MY yet. I am however anxious since my 996 GT3 had a RMS leak and it leaked again after repaired, first leak at 3,000 miles and again at about 5,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Its official, add me to the RMS leak