Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bilstein shocks for PASM cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein shocks for PASM cars

I have heard that Bilstein makes a replacement coil-over shock that works with PASM but is stiffer in both positions. Does anyone have any information or, better yet, experience with this system? I don't want to ruin the car for the street but would like some more stiffness on the track.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:32 AM
GlennMc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at changing my PASM at the moment.

From what i am being told by a 911 tester that works for Weissach (sp?) is that the springs are already too hard on the 997, and the car will actually track better in 'soft' mode, try it...

He has developed some Intrax suspension for the GT3, which is 4 way adjustable, and is said to be better riding on the road, than current PASM is in soft mode, but also much better than stock on track.

Hopefully will be driving the test car next weekend, to see how much better it is.

Have pics of the stuff, but trying to work out how to post up a word document at the moment.

G.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I have heard that Bilstein makes a replacement coil-over shock that works with PASM but is stiffer in both positions. Does anyone have any information or, better yet, experience with this system? I don't want to ruin the car for the street but would like some more stiffness on the track.

Terry,

I talked with the Cargraphics guys and they are developing a set but it is "not ready".

I want to go the route you are thinking but I'm not going to be the first one to do this mod as I think it has the possibility to majorly mess things up if they get it wrong.

I agree with you that the car needs more spring but i'm unsure how much more is going to be possible with the active damping by the computer.

If I had to make a prediction right now I would say that springs that are 10% stiffer in the front and 20% stiffer in the rear, if the computer is ok with it, would be about right - more overall stiffness but with a little bit more in the rear to help car rotation and this may allow the rear sway to be dialled back by one hole which should also help grip.

With all of the above said, the front springs are already enough for the OE front tires on tighter tracks so I think a spring "upgrade" is really going to require stickier tires be run or overall "grip" may actually go down.

I am looking forward to all the upcoming choices.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:20 PM
ScottL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the Intrax 4 way dampers that Glenn refers to above...

and here is the Cargraphic (Bilstein) solution...

Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, Bilstein North America has given me the part # of the upcoming PASM Damptronic coilovers specific to the GT3 and 3RS.

The part # is F4-GA5-E548-H0.

I have already placed a pre order with them. If you want to be contacted when they arrive, send me an email directly. mike@awe-tuning.com

I have no other details at this time as they are not yet in production.

I can tell you that they will integrate with the factory PASM. The button on the dash will work as it does now. The differences will be firmer springs rates and proper valving to go along.

I hope you all find this info useful. We are a Warehouse Distributor for Bilstein and I have excellent contact both in the U.S. and in Germany.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks for PASM cars