Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Tim, talk to me on Thur. I've been storing cars in the winter for ages. Walmart has the cheapest Stabil. There are options for the battery maintainer.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geronimo
How do you know this? And is it true for all shocks? I didn't see anything about it in the owner's manual. Maybe I missed it.
I believe I read that in my manual they are concerned that you will keep the pistons out of position and they will rust. Look under vehicle storage.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Geronimo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks. The reason I ask is that I have a two-post lift in a large (dry) garage. My interest was in avoiding flat spots on the tires. And mice (thought I am certain I don't have them) can't get to the car when raised. But if it risks hurting the shocks, I can lower it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geronimo
OK, thanks. The reason I ask is that I have a two-post lift in a large (dry) garage. My interest was in avoiding flat spots on the tires. And mice (thought I am certain I don't have them) can't get to the car when raised. But if it risks hurting the shocks, I can lower it.
Don't worry about tire flat spots, it's a very overrated problem. I've never had a flat spotted tire by just inflating the tires to 10 lbs. over normal and I don't move the car for 4 months. Even if you get flat spots after a few miles of driving they're gone.
Can't comment on he mice issue, fortunately never had a rodent problem.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

On race cars and race bikes with coilovers, it is highly recommended to unload the suspension! There will always be part of the shaft exposed! Spares and optional shocks are not compressed when they are stored. They might be pulled completely apart for storage though!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
F430CS
Intermediate

where can I get a charger that plugs right into the lighter (the one Porsche offers)? I went to Canadian tire and they didn't have it.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F430CS
where can I get a charger that plugs right into the lighter (the one Porsche offers)? I went to Canadian tire and they didn't have it.
I wired the adapter directly to the battery and just plug it in and the wire just comes out of the hood, real easy.
Here's a link to the OEM manufacturer that Porsche uses for it's charger. You can buy the unit and a lighter adapter.

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Accessories.aspx
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

All good comments. thanks for sharing guys...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

See my e bay post above ( $65) or go to sunset Porsche they have the Porsche maintainer for ($105) i believe.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
princetonporsche
Instructor

I don't know how much this helps but I don't pump extra air in the winter time before I store my car since it another thing to remember in the spring to let the excess pressure out. I use tire cradles instead.

www.tirecradle.com/
Old 12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
F430CS
Intermediate

with the porsche battery charger/maintainer plugged into cigarette lighter, should the hood be left open? It didn't say anything in the manual. And if yes, what about the small light that comes on? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

with the porsche battery charger/maintainer plugged into cigarette lighter, should the hood be left open? It didn't say anything in the manual. And if yes, what about the small light that comes on? Thanks.
If you hook up the maintainer while the battery is somewhat fresh it is only going to deliver a small charge that should not overheat the battery. it is a sealed unit so it should be safe to leave closed, i do.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage