Ruf RGT pics from Rennsport

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I drove the rt12 (the blue one from the rt12 ring video) and wrote about it on the 997tt forum. The rgt is a much different car for sure. talking to the test drivers at Ruf in pfaffenhausen they concur with Robin that the rt12 is not built for the track but will gobble or demolish any amount of road anywhere.

NA (gt3, rgt, etc) is always going to be better for driving towards the limit (tracking eh?) because of the safer nature of that linear power vs the instapunch of torque from crazy boost. although if you learn your awd car really well it can certainly be amazing on track, the ruf rt12 is in fact a road car.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
Would you say the 997GT2 is a limo cruiser??
I'm afraid all Turbo cars are described as 'limo cruisers' by some people. Even the factory modified 959 doesn't escape, although its not referred to as the Cadillac as some of the other 959s are.

The 997GT2 is a great car for crossing continents in a hurry, in summer.

Some people use Colombian marching powder, others turn up the boost, both groups have fun.

R+C
Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

Some people use Colombian marching powder, others turn up the boost, both groups have fun.

R+C
I always liked the ring of booger sugar myself when referring to the rolling stones breakfast cereal.

I've got the best of both worlds- crazy scary boost in my 993TT, and modern scalpel NA skrieking in my RS4 and GT3.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I always liked the ring of booger sugar myself when referring to the rolling stones breakfast cereal.

I've got the best of both worlds- crazy scary boost in my 993TT, and modern scalpel NA skrieking in my RS4 and GT3.
So who had Frosties for breakfast?

R+C
Old 11-08-2007, 02:05 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

come on you know italians don't eat breakfast- I had some pasta and Acqua di Panna at the Autogrill roadside...too many roads to drive and my B+B last night skipped the second B...
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is awesome but the price is ummm a bit of a stretch IMHO. I would take an RS instead and mod it.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I'm in 997 GT3 territory here, a car which I have a great deal of respect for, so I'll tread lightly. I thought in the mid 70's porsche got into the turbo thing with one big scary laggy turbo putting out about 500hp - that they raced very competitively in the form of the 934/935 that won championships for years. I just want to clarify that bc it has a turbo does not make it a bad track car - nor does it make it more scary or dangerous - just need to learn pedal modulation. I agree that 996/7TT's are great GT road cars and may not have the precise feel as the GT3's mainly bc of weight. These days forced induction does add lots of torque and power - but it is delivered in a much more linear fashion with 2 turbos. And to say that the new GT2 is a country cruiser - compared to a 997GT3 I think is a bit off base. 997 GT3 lap on Ring = 7:47 997GT2 lap on ring = 7:32. If my math is correct you are picking up a second on every mile of the track. I consider the GT2 to be more of a GT3 but with a lot more power/torque. I would like to hear C.J.'s impresions of his stonking 993TT compared to his incoming 997GT3. I also feel the GT3 is a great dual purpose road car moreso than a track car. When I'm in the market for a track car I will start shopping for a CUP.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:08 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always felt they went a bit overboard w/that one. A bit of a tart really. Not in the traditional "stealth" Ruf presentation. Maybe that's what happens whenits finished up in Dallas. Need to ditch the Ruf sticker on the wing end-plate for sure. That's just down right ricey.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I agree with the over done thing but only on the wheel color- black wheels and it really tones down the whole thing. oh and no cars are "finished" in dallas, just germany or bahrain now, but you can order them however you want...camo maybe?

DM- turbo cars are way faster than NA cars- especially when they put down 100-200 more HP And tQ. you're right that in the disco days the moby dick turbos kicked ***. of course in the disco days the street turbos were really hard to drive and whacked a lot of trees. racing drivers have the reflexes to drive a skateboard with 500hp these days- where most of us (even me with professionally exceptional reflexes and motor skills) would get scared a bit with anything close towards the limit.

my 580hp andial TT is for sure faster than my gt3....and after hitting 160 on the autostrada yesterday I can hope I've got credibility on that. ask any of the other guys on the 993TT board- these cars are stupid fast- JJayB tracks his all the time, and he loves it no question.

but OF COURSE a 997gt2 will be faster than a gt3 or RS with a good driver and no fear, and of course an rt12 will kill that- it's just more a question of taste- usually people want the lightest most linear car for the track, (hence why they sell exiges) and it just so happens that most of us use our "track cars" on the road, like mooty and the others that drive it to and from the track so we want something reliable and driveable- gt3, TT, C2s, etc... I've driven the TT on the track (with no electric psm or asr or tcs or whatever) and it scared the bajeezus out of me, it was really fun and thank god it was AWD, but scary none the less.

I love the gt3, and I'm sure if I had the Euros- I'd also love an rgt (custom color- flat black) or an rt12, but you're right- for a "track car" I'd get a cup car.

each model or each brand has it's own niche or purpose...

for me- driving in traffic, rain, groceries, bumping music- RS4.

blasting to 'work' or pleasure drives on sunny days, when I want to listen to music - 993TT.

driving to and from the track, and work and scaring passengers along the way, can't hear the radio-gt3.

mine's bigger than yours, I ran out of houses and have a lot of garage, I make 7 figures a year- Ruf.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"No cars are finished in Dallas".....I did not make that clear....I know they are built in De, but I can guarantee the Ruf sticker on the wing was added in Dallas....and then Wayne said, "Ahhhh...Finished!"
Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

hahaha well Dr Jackie (the ruf partner and owner of the car) is quite overt...I might not sticker it either unless it was to do the gt3rs style RGT decals on a low angle of the side of the car...

Quick Reply: Ruf RGT pics from Rennsport