Excellence GT3 vs RSR Cup comparo

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
pete, i presume pete stout?
i dont want to get into trouble here ;-)
at 2:02, that's all i got.
at 2:02, VoB can turn the wick up and i am sure he can EASILY do 2:00 or 1:59 in a fully stock car. if he ran real r compounds i think 1:57 is likely in otherwise stock car.
Yep.

2:02 in your car is damn impressive to me. Certainly faster than I could turn. Another metric is how many laps you can turn at 2:02 consistently. I find this to be one of the more humbling traits between the pros and the rest of us.

That said, JVO didn't have much more in him in that car on that day. I think he said something like "To go any quicker, I'll have to wreck the car." (i.e. deletion of slim-ish safety margin Excellence insists on).

While the press car showed up hammered, I got Porsche to bring it back into shape, with four new tires and a fresh alignment to factory (std, I believe) specs. Tires were initially set to factory specs, then managed by FLM, which I would think knows how to handle things. Motor, brakes, and shifter were all in great shape. One benefit to the miles was that the drivetrain was fully broken in, too.

So, until we see someone pip JVO's times in an as-delivered car, I'm going to take them as about as quick as an RS will go around T-hill in its stock configuration.

Would be very interesting to see what JVO would turn in Mooty's car.

Best regards,

pete
Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Yep.

2:02 in your car is damn impressive to me. Certainly faster than I could turn. Another metric is how many laps you can turn at 2:02 consistently. I find this to be one of the more humbling traits between the pros and the rest of us.

That said, JVO didn't have much more in him in that car on that day. I think he said something like "To go any quicker, I'll have to wreck the car." (i.e. deletion of slim-ish safety margin Excellence insists on).

While the press car showed up hammered, I got Porsche to bring it back into shape, with four new tires and a fresh alignment to factory (std, I believe) specs. Tires were initially set to factory specs, then managed by FLM, which I would think knows how to handle things. Motor, brakes, and shifter were all in great shape. One benefit to the miles was that the drivetrain was fully broken in, too.

So, until we see someone pip JVO's times in an as-delivered car, I'm going to take them as about as quick as an RS will go around T-hill in its stock configuration.

Would be very interesting to see what JVO would turn in Mooty's car.

Best regards,

pete
you are absolutely right. 2:02 is very difficult for me to turn.
i have done 4-5 laps of consecutive 2:03, almost every session i am out as long as i dont get into traffic. 2:04 is fairly easy.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:17 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

JVO on in-car camera for his 2:02 at T-hill.

Wasn't leaving much on the table...

www.excellence-mag.com

(see featured films)

I understand our web guy is still working to get the same up for his RSR...
Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Pete is right -- I saw the press car at Sonnen, and it was hammered -- in fact, it had rock chips on the doors (likely from spins into the kitty litter by prior "testing" by the other mags) and looked abused. The video on the website is awesome -- amazing how smooth JVO drives . . . . I ran into JVO on the way to RRIII and he said again that the gap would shrink with just a few mods to the stock RS. Fun stuff.

Last edited by zellamsee; 11-10-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Excellence GT3 vs RSR Cup comparo