Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Excellence GT3 vs RSR Cup comparo

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Jager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
one cannot compared fully decked out, factory built, well set up race car with a stock, poorly set up, street car. RSR should be faster, but i doubt 17 seconds. here is my short report:

P stout in 2nd opinion said car oversteering at some turns and pushes
at others. I'm sure the car was not set up and tires are worn. When I
had OEM MPSC with trk Alignment per manual, the car only pushed. I can't
get it to over steer short of full lift.

Oh, I'm 100% certain J VoB was just puttering around in the RS but
pushed more in RSR and that the RSR was properly set up and RS was poorly
alighned. Why? Thunderhill us one of my home trk. I run 15 days there a
year. I drove behind JVoB at one DE. Both in RS. He dropped me after
one lap (by front straight, he's 1/2straight ahead of me, so that means
no way in hell I can make up the time).

Now I have RA1 and seat/harness, all else stock. I had that when u
drive behind him as well. He only had stock seat and belt. I can do 204
consistently without pushing; talking to my passenger. I can do some 203
and once in a while (3-4 lap a day) I do 202. So with that in mind, even
with a box stock car, JVoB has to be faster than a hack like me. The
fact that he only did 202 tells me he's not doing Sunday drive to
church I'd something is wrong with car.

Thus my guess is that the lap time delta b/n RSR & RS is SLIGHTLY
smaller than the article suggested.

Another datapoint:
A friend in stock 6 GT3 with mpsc and safety gear. On he does have cup
4.0 RP. He runs cinsistant 200. So a well set up RS driven by JvOB HAS
to be faster than 202 as the article suggested.

+1 Mooty. 17 seconds is humungous.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

The writer in his second opinion claims the car is more or less boring and has lost some of the Porsche magic in regards to feel.

I really hope not I have one on order. Just turned in a e60 M5 and that was the exact scnerio with that car. Way two isolated under 100 boring low torque etc. the older version with the V8 was more exciting and useable on the street.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by rop3
The writer in his second opinion claims the car is more or less boring and has lost some of the Porsche magic in regards to feel.

I really hope not I have one on order. Just turned in a e60 M5 and that was the exact scnerio with that car. Way two isolated under 100 boring low torque etc. the older version with the V8 was more exciting and useable on the street.
well the car is boring to me on the streets. But i have not driven anything thats not boring on the street.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

The Porsche cars I own currently are fun on the street of course you cant push it as on the track.

well the car is boring to me on the streets. But i have not driven anything thats not boring on the street.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

The Porsche cars I own currently are fun on the street of course you cant push it as on the track.
then you will like the 7gt3.
i have driven or owned 928, 911sc, 911 3.2, 964, 993, 996 997 of various variants. none are all the exciting for me on street. so was 360 and f430. exige was exciting for about 10 min, then i got bored.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Mooty, you need to pay me a visit someday. It may change your opinion of street driving!!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:54 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Mooty, you need to pay me a visit someday. It may change your opinion of street driving!!
true, your area would be driving heaven. when i visited the ratcliff place up near gualala i had a blast driving my e36m3 up, of course, around the turn, a CHP with lights blazing passed me.... whew, he was on to someone else.

here, my top speed anywhere within 100 miles of my house is around 45mph ugh.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Good heavens, "boring" is not the word I would use with re: to the 997 GT3, in any of its forms. 997 RS is definitely NOT boring. And, yeah, it sounds like we gotta get Mooty up to the loop roads a little more often.

IMHO, 997 RS is exciting, but I don't find it to be as sweet or as satisfying as the 996 GT3. Or as *fun*. And, yes, I know it's not a popular opinion...

Finally, the RS we used was aligned per factory specs (went to Sonnen after I found a wheel problem just minutes before heading out on track at Infineon) and had four fresh tires.

After mentioning the oversteer on throttle and off throttle, JVO was asked the critical question by a friend of his: "Maybe it's just this car?" His response: "Except for the fact I've driven four of them now and they all handle the same."

That Johannes turned his time so equipped is impressive, but it's also impressive to me that Mooty is in the ball park (albeit with an improved car) with a top ALMS pro.

Cheers,

pete
Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
That difference is entirely what I would expect. The RSR has slicks, more horsepower, more efficient gearbox, less weight, and is much better set up to get through the corners, wheelbase widened, fat tyres, better suspension location, better springs and shocks, better brakes......

R+C

Agreed.

Of course 17 seconds sounds right. USA DOT spec 997 RS is just a street car on street tires and soft PASM suspension and enough rubber bushings to make the Queen of England feel comfortable, RSR is full bore race machine with lightweight everything.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
That Johannes turned his time so equipped is impressive, but it's also impressive to me that Mooty is in the ball park (albeit with an improved car) with a top ALMS pro.
All those track days are paying off, eh Mooty?

Something we'll all have to remember about our views on street driving is we all know we can't push these cars on the street the way these cars were meant to be driven. Some of us have favorite roads we can play on and others are stuck in the city.

In my case, I don't have any good roads near my house where I can play without the threat of nasty consequences. Get on the gas for a couple seconds and I'm speeding. Stay on it for a few more and the cops might throw me in jail. Road construction is everywhere and other places are school zones and playground zones. Gotta behave.

I hardly ever drive my car on the street anymore because it's....boring. Most of my miles are driving to the autox pad or to the local race track. That's where I get this goofy grin on my face that won't go away.

Cheers,
Old 11-07-2007, 02:53 PM
RWK
Instructor

Peter,
A couple of questions that come from my reading the article.
Aligned to Std spec or Track Spec for your test?
JVO stated that he would lower the car, Aprox how much?
I Assume lowering + track alignment, will net much more camber. I still get occasional snap oveersteer at -2.5d f , -2.0 rear with std ride ht. Tires maybe?

Tire reccomendations also welcome.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 04:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mooty, you can beat Van Overbeek driving the same car, that's cool. You still cannot beat a 996 GT3, that isn't cool.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:13 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Mooty, you can beat Van Overbeek driving the same car, that's cool. You still cannot beat a 996 GT3, that isn't cool.
ah... no no no.
i didn't mean to say i beat van overbeek. i just said i was driving my *** off and posted 2:02 while he was probably driving with one eye closed, hands behind his back and sipping mocha and still post 2:02.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by excmag

Cheers,

pete
pete, i presume pete stout?
i dont want to get into trouble here ;-)
at 2:02, that's all i got.
at 2:02, VoB can turn the wick up and i am sure he can EASILY do 2:00 or 1:59 in a fully stock car. if he ran real r compounds i think 1:57 is likely in otherwise stock car.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Mooty provides a good data point for a car with the standard zeroth-order track prep. While I don't think VoB was on a Sunday drive, his own comments about feeling like he was going to fall out the stock drivers seat support the idea that he could have done better in the same car. That and mooty's car has different tires (R1As instead of toasted cups) and most likely a better alignment. VoB tested not a "stock" RS, but a beaten press RS, so I would say in a car with fresh tires (still stock cups), a good alignment, and proper seats (obviously a "stock" configuration, different tires would change that status), he certainly could do sub 2 minute laps.

Quick Reply: Excellence GT3 vs RSR Cup comparo